PDA

View Full Version : Safe mode

Mucous
01-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi out there,

my wife's work lap top running wondows 98, has inexplicably begun starting up in safe mode only. Despite her denial I suspect the wonderful teen age daughter has been fiddling??

As dearly beloved cant access her work help desk for another week or more, I'm hoping someone can give us simpletons a clue as to what may have happened, and how to get back to normal again.

The help index has not been able to assist so far, there doesn't appear to be new software added either.

Thanx in advance!!

godfather
01-01-2003, 06:52 PM
When you say its starting in Safe Mode, can you confirm that the words "Safe Mode" are present in each corner of the screen?

The reason I ask, is that when the video drivers are missing, or the resolution is set to 640 x 480, 16 colours, it looks like Safe Mode but isn't.

If the words are not there, just right click on the desktop and select settings, and adjust the resolution. Assuming the drivers are present.

Attaboy102
01-01-2003, 08:10 PM
godfather has a point there, a good one.

if your daughter has been fiddling, she may have accidentally ajusted the screen resolution to safe mode.

right click on the screen, choose properties, click on the setting tab above, you will see that if the resolution is 640x460 (something like that, can't remember) ajusted to 800x600.

if this doesn't work, when the computer is starting up, press f12 and choose to start in normal mode and see if that works, if not, you might have to reinstall windows.

I know it's a nightmare to do that, but that might be the only choice in
the end.

thankx