View Full Version : radio tuners for PC

01-01-2003, 10:15 AM
I have just purchased some decnt speakers for my PC, and as i don't have a stereo in the room with my pc, i was wondering if i could listen to the radio through my pc, then i remebered radio tuners.
A few Q's tho:
Can you get AM, and FM ones? (i don't have sky in the room with PC, so i want to listen to cricket, rugby etc, when something happens go into nest room watch it on TV - lol)
What is the quality like? is it the same as a standard radio? or wot....
How do you get a signal - do u have to attach an ariel or something?
and my big Q, can you have it, so you have the radio going in background (cricket...) and still have it so you hear all the 'normal' windows noises (cliks etc)

o - if theres anything else i should no about them, please let me no..

01-01-2003, 10:24 AM
I got an FM only tuner a couple of years ago from Oatley Electronics in Australia. Have never heard of a n AM one, but the cheapest option these days is a TV card w/FM.
Use volume control applet for relative settings

01-01-2003, 11:32 AM
The TV/FM cards give good reception on FM, provided an aerial is used.
AM will not be satisfactory, even if you could find a card that works on AM, as the noise generated by the PC would prevent it from working satisfactorily.

Of course a radio would be even cheaper.

01-01-2003, 11:36 AM
So can't you get stand alone radio tuners now? am i best to look on tradme or something and get one from there.

also, i got this message when replying:
You're about to reply to a post which is more than a month old. You might not get a response to your message.
If you do not wish to continue, click on the BACK button of your browser to go back.

must be the new year glitches

01-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Apart from specialised (expensive) Radio Tuner cards for commercial applications, I have not seen any stand alone Radio cards since the early days, and they used ISA slots, not PCI. If you could find one, it will likely be designed for 16 bit (Win 3.1) software and may not be too happy in modern OS's, even if you found a motherboard with an ISA slot to use.
Also they were dearer than the TV/FM cards.

Such devices will surely exist in PCI form somewhere, but I have never seen them in Radio only format, as the cost of adding the TV features is negligible since it will probably use the same chipset anyway.

There are some TV devices available in USB format as well

A radio with a "line out" socket, feeding the "line in" on your soundcard would achieve the Radio only facility that you want?

If you read some posts below you will see that the "1 month old" message has been discussed. Y2K3 bug.

Terry Porritt
01-01-2003, 03:06 PM
There were some "communications receiver" type multiband radios a few years ago, that plugged into an ISA slot, were software controlled and cost several hundred dollars :)
I dont think that is what you mean though, surely you would be better off with just an ordinary radio? Otherwise you will be taking up resources and loading your CPU rather uneccessarily.

(Incidently PressF1 keeps telling me Im replying to an old posting, it doesnt seem to recognise we are in 2003 :) )

01-01-2003, 03:26 PM
You might be able to go to a computer fair and find a cheap FM card (might be external), but I've got a PixelView PlayTVHD w/FM in this computer, and all you have to do to get good sound is plug the supplied aerial cable in and lay it out somewhere.

I would recommend getting this card, as you could also watch TV on it. It only costs about $110, and supports High Definition, can capture TV, supports Teletext, you can record radio (not too good quality though, even on the highest settings), video on desktop, and comes with video editing and authoring software. Only problem would be if you're in a poor-reception area (might like to try a signal amplifier) or if you use Sky, you could run a second output to the cards video input, but you could only ever watch exactly the same as what the actual TV was tuned to via Sky.

01-01-2003, 03:34 PM
thanks for all that, but i think i'll go with agents advice and get a tv card/fm tuner as one.

01-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Forgot to say, you might have to buy an aerial cable (the kind that runs from your TV aerial plug in the wall to your TV or VCR), and split the cable so you can plug your comp in and get the signal via your TV aerial, although rabbit ears should work if you don't want to do this. If you're going to split the cable, get a metal splitter instead of plastic, as it's better quality or something.

01-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Not exactly related to Fergies Question..................

Godfather, yes you can get radio cards, they are available in the USA but more aimed at the Ham Radio market but there are also various cards for general tuning across a large section of the radio bands and while they usually cover rtty, ssb, usb, etc off memory and without referring to the catalogue buried under a pile of other radio and work material they also cover down to the FM and I am sure the AM bands depending on the card.

Again off memory they can also be got in PCI ? configuration or as stand alone external stand alone items plugging into what ever port on the back of your computer.

When I was there recently you could get them for the various window's OS's.

Popular in the states, they don't seem to be widely available else where though Ham Radio shops might be a better place to look for that sort of thing.

01-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi there,

You should contact Chill. He's trying to get rid of his radio. Think its only Radio Rhema though.


01-01-2003, 09:56 PM
I got a dlink usb radio tuner from DSE last summer. They were originally about $90 but $10 reduced to clear. It's FM and really good.