PDA

View Full Version : NTFS

veterannz
31-12-2002, 06:16 PM
My new PC had NTFS file system with the OS being WIN XP. Somewhere along the line I'm now back to FAT 32. I think this happened when I defragged using NORTON Sytem Works 2002.
I have no idea what NTFS but can I convert back to it and can someone explain what it is
Thanks and Happy New Year

godfather
31-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Strange:

FAT32 can convert to NTFS, but I was under the impression that reversing it was not an option, save for reformatting and reinstalling.

To convert look here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/convertfat.asp)

Defragging would not convert it. Are you sure it was NTFS in the first case?

NTFS is NT File System, and is a different file structure on the disk, it does not have the same limitations as FAT. Security (permissions) is easier implimented on NTFS, but some older programs reguire a FAT structure. FAT comes in FAT16 and FAT32 flavours, I think floppy disks are FAT12? FAT = File Allocation Table.

Look on Google for a detailed description should you need it, in the meantime worry about how your system reverted back to FAT?

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 06:34 PM
> FAT32 can convert to NTFS, but I was under the
> impression that reversing it was not an option, save
> for reformatting and reinstalling.
>

Same here...

robo
31-12-2002, 06:56 PM
I can't see NTFS going to anything else without some funny utility.

You sure you didn't see something that said "convert partition to NTFS" as compared to "this partition is NTFS"?

I am not sure you need to worry about changing. NTFS is a royal pain unless you have a fat32 boot partition and on a workstation that's a non-event. Good for servers, though.

robo.

Big John
31-12-2002, 07:58 PM
>
> > FAT32 can convert to NTFS, but I was under the
> > impression that reversing it was not an option,
> save
> > for reformatting and reinstalling.
> >
>
> Same here...

Partition Magic will happily convert NTFS back to FAT32. You would of course lose all the file attributes such as protection and such.

kiwistag
20-01-2003, 10:04 PM
To revert type:
convert c: /fs:ntfs

at the command prompt

Of course c: can be replaced by the partition letter.

Big John
22-01-2003, 06:13 PM
> Strange:
>
> FAT32 can convert to NTFS, but I was under the
> impression that reversing it was not an option, save
> for reformatting and reinstalling.

NTFS can very easily be changed back to FAT32. You will of course lose all your security protections onthe files.
Partition Magic will do it very nicely.

Billy T
22-01-2003, 06:59 PM
If you really are on FAT32, stick with it unless you need the added security features of NTFS.
Hi Veterannz

I converted back to FAT32 because of the disk space overheads demanded by the NTFS system and non-compatibility with my favourite image program, Ghost. Also, if you want to do anything useful at the DOS prompt, just remember, DOS can't see NTFS files.

To check your file system, double click My Computer, right click your C: drive and select properties. The file system will be displayed along with other useful data.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
22-01-2003, 08:21 PM
> Also, if you want to do anything useful at the
> DOS prompt, just remember, DOS can't see NTFS files.

Ummm...not correct if you are referring to the XP "DOS" prompt, which works just fine. All file handling batch commands work for me.

Billy T
23-01-2003, 12:59 AM
I'm not an XPert so I wouldn't know about that God. I was referring to plain vanilla DOS as per boot floppies etc. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)