PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP + nVidia 41.09 = UNBOOTABLE

InverseEight
31-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I just installed the latest drivers from nVidia for 2k/xp. I noticed during install that they weren't WHQL, but thought meh, and continued install. It seemed lock up, but recovered after a while, and prompted me to restart. So I did and during bootup I got a cumbersome, (yet lovely) BSOD telling me that windows had detected something askew and that for my files protection that Windows would now not boot. It said if this was the first that you could probably start and it would be fine, but if it didn't just goto safe mode. Fine I thought to myself, restarted, didn't work, restarted, safe mode, didn't work, hmmm, RESTARTED, Last good known config, DIDN'T WORK. Chucked in my Windows CD, pressed R to repair, it gave me a prompt and said "Type Exit to quit and restart computer".. that really made my day.

I am now all out of ideas as of what on earth (or a 1km radius above the surface) I could do to recover my 15gb of "My Documents" and Visual Studio source. The next thing I will try is to move the HDD to another computer, but, you know, it's really quite an effort, and I REALLY can't be bothered. So, if some bright computer person could inform me of a brilliant little trick, or program like "Make my Windows not be stupid and Boot.com" that would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

InverseEight
31-12-2002, 04:21 PM
"Make my Windows not be stupid and Boot.exe" would also be acceptable.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Can you not even do safe mode?

Knoppix is an excellent system recovery utility... Is your HDD Partitioned?

You seem to be in a bit of a pickle. If you PC and another PC that you would have put the HDD in have a NIC, then just network them and boot of a Knoppix CD.

15Gigs I guess is a LOT of data to backup.. :)

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 05:02 PM
BTW, When you "Chucked in your windows CD", Did you mean you booted from it??

InverseEight
31-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Yes, I did boot from the CD.

I checked out the Microsoft KB and found a solution ("chkdsk /r" from recovery console) and it did the trick.

Thanks for the help though.

mejobloggs
01-01-2003, 02:58 PM
I instaaled 41.09, and its fine.

what is WHQL?

I remember when i installed it an XP message popped up saying it wasnt certified for XP or something, but i installed anyway.

prue
02-01-2003, 10:24 PM
I had a similar problem with my XP on Xmas day-wouldn't boot -windows repair demanded a password which DSE took a week to tell me they didn't know anything about---Yet they had loaded windows before they sold it to me. Meanwhile we,my, computer clever daughter,and I ' reinstalled windows as windows 2 and were able to boot etc as normal again. The original windows was still there in its own little folder and we were able to rescue all the important bits from my documents---not sure if she dragged and dropped or if she used save as command'. I was completely out of my depth. Prue

InverseEight
04-01-2003, 01:21 PM
WHQL certified = Windows Hardware Quality Lab certification means that Microsoft have throughly tested the drivers with all (or a specified) version(s) of Windows and they work nicely with everything. I think this takes a lot of time and/or money, so many drivers are not WHQL certified.

InverseEight
04-01-2003, 01:25 PM
BTW, the error was:
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81783B18, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Fix:
Recovery console, "chkdsk /r", 1hour repair, and happy again :D