PDA

View Full Version : Win NT 5 SP3 & NVIDA.... Why cant they play nicley ?

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 12:12 PM
The saga
After major problems with Win NT 5.1 (XP), I thought that a step back in OS's might be a step forward In reliability, to I formatted my drive and loaded up Win NT 5 (2K), I then installed the latest NVIDA drivers (V 41.90) and got my graphics card running nicely :), then I installed the latest VIA service pack (V 4.45), no problems there :), then I made the mistake of installing Service Pack 3 :(... After installing SP3 I got one of those Win NT style B.S.O.D's at startup :(; informing me that there was a problem with my nv4_mini.sys driver in the C:\WINNT\system32\drivers directory, after trying a few different ideas I booted into safemode and uninstalled SP3, instantly the problem went away.

The question
Has anyone else had this problem with NVIDA and SP3? If so how did you fix it ?:|

Cheers

Liam

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 12:27 PM
Well, Microsoft advise that you backup you data before installing SP3.

Personally I would install SP3 and then install the driver updates.

You should be able to reboot into safe-mode and Un-install the Service Pack if you told to to archive your files. If you were a really clever cookie and decided not to archive the old files, then I would suggest that you format it now and save the trouble (Im hoping this is the PC that you've just re-setup :D)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

BIFF
31-12-2002, 12:36 PM
What are the details of the blue screen? XP and W2K SP3 are both very picky about memory timings.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 12:40 PM
> You should be able to reboot into safe-mode and
> Un-install the Service Pack if you told to to archive
> your files.

Yes I did that and uninstalled SP3 (see above).

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 12:42 PM
> What are the details of the blue screen? XP and W2K
> SP3 are both very picky about memory timings.

The problem is; I would have to install SP3 again to repoduce the error.
I might try that im a minute.

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 01:03 PM
Just a thought before I embark on Installing/Unstilling service packs again, would it help if I reloaded NT 5 and installed SP3, then installed the NVIDA drivers for my graphics card?

Hmm, might give that a go...

Cheers

Liam

-=JM=-
31-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Yeah install the SP before any other crap.

Preferably slip stream the SP

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Comming to you live from the lapermetop:p

Well I fromated the drive and installed NT 5 again, all went fine, then I proceded to install SP3.... The weels fell off.... But I did get a shiny new BSOD; *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x818487B0, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INNACCESSIABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Remove any newley installed hard drives or hard drive controlers. Check you harddrive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more infomation of troubleshooting Stop errors

This error occours everytime I boot normaly, however I can boot into safemode.

Hang on.... Now I have a new error; Stop c000026c {unable to load device driver} \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\winacpci.sys device driver could not be loaded. Error status was 0xc0000221.

If this was the first time you've seen this Stop error...

Rebooted again, and now im back to the Innaccessable boot device error.

Well this is intereseting, any Ideas?

Babe Ruth
31-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Liam, See the following site STOP_Messages (http://www.aumha.org/kbestop.htm) for 7b and 26c STOP error messages fro WinNT, 2K and XP

Babe.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 02:53 PM
basically I think its trying to upgrade some drivers, possibly your motherboads.

What happens if you install SP3 and then boot into safe mode immediately and upgrade all your mobo drivers etc.

Then, I would do the nVidia Detonators last!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 02:55 PM
> Liam, See the following site
> STOP_Messages[/u
> l] for 7b and 26c STOP error messages fro WinNT, 2K
> and XP
>
>
> Babe.

Thanks for that, I also found some info here [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122926 (http://www.aumha.org/kbestop.htm)

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 03:24 PM
> What happens if you install SP3 and then boot
> into safe mode immediately and upgrade all
> your mobo drivers etc.

Hmm... I think I will give that a go now.

Cheers

Liam

Graham L
31-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Obviously they don't play nicely because they are very naughty children. They need a good spanking. ]:)

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 03:49 PM
> What happens if you install SP3 and then boot
> into safe mode immediately and upgrade all
> your mobo drivers etc.

Well it was a good idea in theroy... And I can see where you were comming from with it.... Pity it didnt work, now I get the c000026c stop error on every normal boot instead of the inaccessiable boot device error though.

What would happen if I went service pack less, seing as the service pack is causin more problems than its worth ?

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 03:52 PM
> Obviously they don't play nicely because they are
> very naughty children. They need a good spanking.
> ]:)

I agree, however I dont think opening up my HDD and spanking the metal disks would be verry productive :p

Any onther Ideas?

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Why not just use Windows Update to download the patches if need be, otherwise, Its not a neccessity...

Babe Ruth
31-12-2002, 03:55 PM
Liam,

If you have SP2 (140mb) try that. I found I had various problems with SP3 and various drivers (video and tv/tuner etc), but none under SP2. I then added SP2-SR1 (40mb). I wouldn't go service-pack-less.

Babe.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 04:05 PM
> Liam,
>
> If you have SP2 (140mb) try that. I found I had
> various problems with SP3 and various drivers (video
> and tv/tuner etc), but none under SP2. I then added
> SP2-SR1 (40mb). I wouldn't go service-pack-less.
>
> Babe.

I also have SP2 and have given that a go and encountered errors, hence I downloaded SP3.

I might give SP2 another go and try a few different procedours of installing other drivers.

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Well I have uninstalled SP3 (again) and the computer is now booting quite nicley (again), so I will give SP2 another go, wish me luck.

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 04:23 PM
> If you have SP2 (140mb) try that.

Just looked at the file size, my SP2 is only 101MB, odd.

tweak\'e
31-12-2002, 04:29 PM
>I then installed the latest NVIDA drivers (V 41.90) and got my graphics card running nicely , then I installed the latest VIA service pack (V 4.45)

thats what you get for doing it backwoulds. motherboard drivers first dude.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 04:36 PM
> >I then installed the latest NVIDA drivers (V 41.90)
> and got my graphics card running nicely , then I
> installed the latest VIA service pack (V 4.45)
>
> thats what you get for doing it backwoulds.
> motherboard drivers first dude.

If you read above youll see its nothing to do with that, it a problem with some of the drivers what SP2/3 installs.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 04:40 PM
> Liam,
>
> If you have SP2 (140mb) try that. I found I had
> various problems with SP3 and various drivers (video
> and tv/tuner etc), but none under SP2. I then added
> SP2-SR1 (40mb). I wouldn't go service-pack-less.
>
> Babe.

Just installed SP2, and got the winacpci.sys driver stop error again, I might try uninstalling SP2, making a copy of winacpci.sys, installing SP2, and then manually replacing the winacpci.sys driver with the coppy I made using safemode.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 05:07 PM
WO HO :):):) that did the trick, replacing the new winacpci.sys driver with the old winacpci.sys driver seemed to fix the problem :)

Now to see whether I can install the NVIDA drivers without problems.

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Ouch, now I have installed the NVIDA drivers I getStop: c000026c {unable to load device driver} \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys could not be loaded
Error status was 0xc0000221

Any Ideas?

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 05:30 PM
havent you had this error before?

I have the same graphics card, different vendor probably, but I also use 2K.

I think that its talking about a minifx driver, Im not too sure on it, but i can just remember reading something about it while setting up DoD.

I'm off to the nVidia site..

maybe I'll meet you there :p

get back to ya..

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Quote from nVidia.com:
"Detonator 40 is the beta graphics driver for all NVIDIA Graphics Processing Units (GPUs)."
I would suggest an older driver, 39.xx perhaps!

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Well I loaded up the old drivers off the CD that came with the card; V 27.20 01-15-02, and got the same nv4_mini.sys stop error again.....

BIFF
01-01-2003, 12:23 PM
> Obviously they don't play nicely because they are
> very naughty children. They need a good spanking.
> ]:)

Graham has been a very bad boy and needs to be spanked by his nanny!

nz_liam
01-01-2003, 11:34 PM
> > Obviously they don't play nicely because they are
> > very naughty children. They need a good spanking.
> > ]:)
>
> Graham has been a very bad boy and needs to be
> spanked by his nanny!

Now now people :D... Lets keep this discussion on why SP2/3 and the NVIDA drivers aren't working... I Haven't had proper access to my PC now for over a week :_|:_|

BIFF
02-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Have you tried pressing F6 during windows setup and selecting a Standard PC rather than ACPI PC? If it all works ok that way then I would suggest you look for a BIOS update for your motherboard.

I spent 8 months getting my PC stable, I'm never buying a shitty VIA chipset ever again.

Susan
02-01-2003, 11:45 AM
> I spent 8 months getting my PC stable, I'm never buying a shitty VIA chipset ever again.

"Shitty VIA chipset"?? hmmm..... <gives silent prayer of thanks for being wise enough to listen to Thy God>

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2003, 12:50 PM
>
> "Shitty VIA chipset"?? hmmm..... <gives silent
> prayer of thanks for being wise enough to listen to
> Thy God>

Hmm... Yes, pittpy he went under thou

nz_liam
02-01-2003, 11:51 PM
> Have you tried pressing F6 during windows setup and
> selecting a Standard PC rather than ACPI PC? If it
> all works ok that way then I would suggest you look
> for a BIOS update for your motherboard.
>
> I spent 8 months getting my PC stable, I'm never
> buying a shitty VIA chipset ever again.

Hmm, F6 you say, I will give that a go, thanks.

nz_liam
03-01-2003, 02:19 AM
WOW :o, I just tried booting up my PC (no F6), and this time, to my suprise, it actually booted :o no stop messages at all, now I'm too scared to turn it off (I'm sure it wont boot flawlessly next time).

nz_liam
15-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Firstly; a big thank you to everyone that helped me with my problem.

I return to you now for a week in the bush, not internet, no email, no TV, no radio, no phone. Just pure bliss; eating, lying in the sun, eating, swimming, eating, catching fish in the net, eating freshly smoked fish, and toasting marshmallows on the camp fire :):) (And yes, I still fit into my jeans :p)

Anyway, back to reality, after trying to install a few other OS’s and running into problems during and after installation, I decided that it wasn’t a software problem, I than ran a thorough test using seatools and determined that it wasn’t a HDD problem. Which there fore meant that it was a system problem, (most-likely a mobo failure), so I begrudgingly hit the road, (on what seemed to be national (SLOW) trucker’s day), and made my way into the maze of Dorkland (I shouldn’t hassle them to much, as I will be living there for the next year). I then dropped of my PC for ‘further testing’, and was advised that the turnaround on mobo’s was 5 working days, (translated from geek to English means; 3-5 weeks.) (I also managed to see the latest LOTR movie while I was down in Dorky-land, (Bond and Jackie Chan will have to wait to next week :D)).

Again thanks everyone for you help, and hopefully I should have my PC up in running in a few weeks.

Cheers

Liam