PDA

View Full Version : Setting default folder for saving files

Lady Macbeth
31-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Like my new name, people? :p Having quite a bit of bother trying to log back in under SusanB after emptying my cookies folder so while I wait for some help this name will have to do. Might have to keep it yet. :O

Question 1:
In Win XP instead of using the default My Documents folder I've created a Documents folder on the E: drive and even though I can get most files to save stuff there automatically some programs insist on defaulting to My Documents on the C: drive. These programs don't have anywhere to change the settings like you can in Office, etc so is there another trick I can use to do it? In the registry perhaps?

Question 2:
When I install programs under my Admin account in Win XP there are some programs, eg utility programs, etc that I don't want shortcuts going into the other account's Start menu and some programs that I do. Is there a way of controlling this or do I have to go into Win Explorer and manually move the Start menu shortcuts around in the other account for each program?

Neil McC
31-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Nice to see you back.Thought you'd got too many toys to play with for Christmas,or you'd found something else to do in your spare time! :-)

Babe Ruth
31-12-2002, 01:59 PM
SusanB,

1, No I don’t particularly like the LadyM name; but who am I to criticise… :-) :-) :-)

Q1,
a) First have you modified the My Documents folder redirection. Right click on My Documents | Properties | Target Folder Location and edit to point to where your ‘new’ documents location is.

b) There are registry ‘hacks’ to do these sorts of changes for Win2k/XP and Office2000/XP. I will email you some information/details.

Q2, I haven’t yet found a reliable way of doing this and usually cut/paste/move the shortcuts as necessary (although I think you may be able to use policies in some circumstances)

Babe (one-armed and not dangerous) :|

Graham L
31-12-2002, 03:08 PM
There's no danger until Burnham wood moves to Dunsandel. Until then, "Out, damned spot".

Susan
31-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Neil: Thank you for the welcome. :-) I decided that "retirement" wasn't much fun after all. :D

Babe: You don't like my new name? :O Oh. :-(

Well I suppose it is a bit vicious..... OK then, just for you I've changed it. robo says that SusanB has disappeared off the planet somehow :O but he found plain Susan so that will do until the geeks return and can have a go at finding my proper one again.

For Q1: No I haven't modified the My Documents folder redirection -- I'm not actually using the Win XP My Documents folder at all on godfather's advice ("if it gets corrupted > "poof" goes all my stuff"). I'm using a totally new Documents folder that I created. I do have a taskbar shortcut to this folder using this path:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,E:\Documents

It doesn't seem sufficient for a redirection because files/documents saved for the first time in some programs won't display that path in the Save As box, which is what I would like. Maybe I'm asking the impossible, like I usually do. :D

Thanks for your advice regarding these - much appreciated. Oh, and it's not quite the same you being non-dangerous. :p Hope you get fixed up nicely soon. :-)

Susan
02-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Babe: Thanks a million, the registry hack works a treat. I'm rapt!! :-) :-)
gives Babe a big hug AND a chocolate fish: <*)))))><{