PDA

View Full Version : SuSE, Redhat, and availability of ISO's

JoGiles
31-12-2002, 05:55 AM
hey there everyone.

Many of you may know I have SuSE Linux 8.0 on my system, and I am currently looking at upgrading.

I would PROBABLY like to get SuSE 8.1, but I am unable to find an ISO of the release - what is SuSE's stance on releasing ISO's, etc? I understand they can't release proprietary code for free, but am I able to download an ISO (and realise that installing via FTP is basically impossible for me, let alone most NZ'ers).

If it is not possible, what are peoples views on the competition? Which distribution should I go for? I would've once never accepted Redhat, but I think this may be my best option for the type of user I am - a relative newbie but with a decent enough understanding of the basics. Are there any other options which sheild me from most things but also give me access to the advanced features should I want to do something more advanced?

Cheers,
Jonathan Giles

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 09:48 AM
I would suggest either RedHat 8.0 or Mandrake 9.
RedHat has a nice installer that really sets the standards high, and its so easy to go through and understand.

Mandrake from what I understand is geared towards being the n00b favorite distro, as it is easy and simple to use!

I currently have RedHat 8, but that's only coz I left my Mandrake 9 discs at work over the holidays :( Otherwise, I would give it a go.

All in all, I think its up to you in the end!

Graham L
31-12-2002, 01:31 PM
The code isn't "proprietary". I think comply with the GPL by making all the sources available, and (probably) the binaries of all the components.

To make their money ... because even a voluntary organisation (especially in the computer game) has expenses to cover ... they sell CD sets. If you know someone with a CD set, you can copy that. But they don't make the CD images available online.

I like Red Hat. Mandrake seems to be popular. ;-). Red Hat have been in the business longer, and Mandrake is based on it, but M is likely to use later versions of software. Of course, that means it has the later bugs, :D whereas a RH will have patches available (or already installed).

But they are all GNU/Linux.

If you have the source, you could probably just download the patches to make version 9.1, and recompile. (If you are keen B-) )

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 01:45 PM
I have used both RedHat and mandrake, and you can really say one is better than the other, however I personlly prefer RedHat, I'm currently using RedHat8 which has a nice revamped interface.

Cheers

Liam

nz_liam
31-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Oops... I meant to say "and you can't really say one is better than the other"