PDA

View Full Version : Upon connection sits idle then after 1-4 minutes kicks back in

wetpaint
30-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Hi,
recently...since about February i have been having weird connection problems to the internet
The strange thing is that it persists on two different modems, two different isp's before and after a format and reinstall.

Upon connection it sits idle for two minutes and if

A) I am in win 98 and have &F%C0+MS=11,0 as an initialisation string it will kick back in after about a minute and a half
or
B)I am in Beos it works perfectly

I have formatted reinstalled windows which should have eliminated problem A , however it hasnt, and i have two modems A dynalink 56K serial v14656 VQE and an internal AMR software modem.this behaviour is the same on both which seems to rule out modems or drivers

i have tryed with different IRQ and port settings to the same effect
i have tryed without the extension and double adaptor, still to no effect
i have reinstalled the tcp/ip protocol to same effect,

The only thing that works is BEos, which i dont normally use.I would have tryed linux but for lack of HDD spce

I have come to a few possibilities which seem unlikley

1) modem conflict with ISP modems, this seems unlikley to happen on two different modems.

2)driver conflict , after system checks i can find evidence of none

3)bad line as it connects well in beos this seems to be a non issue

4)serial port settings ,this seems to be the real possibility.......but i have tryed many settings to no avail

5)Bad drivers for both modems this is also possible but unlikley as i have the newest available for both

Any ideas id be glad to hear them , thanks ,

roofus
30-12-2002, 10:07 PM
8/N/1 should be your port settings.

Why do you have this init string? why don't you leave the extra settings blank hence using the modems default, which is also equivalent to AT&F

You could also try lowering your UART buffer, and see if this helps
Flow control should be hardware and you should allow the modem to compress data.

Also set to append information to the log. After connecting and disconnecting you can look at the log to see if any problems arose.

I havn't explained this step by step, for the fact that you have an init string, and have 2 OS's therefore you must know something about computers.

p.s. the only protocol enabled should be TCP/IP
Do you have any DNS entries? If so delete them.

Jim B
30-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Double-click on My Computer, then double-click on Dial-Up Networking.
Right-click on the ISP connection icon and choose Properties.
Click the Configure button.
Click the Connection tab.
Click the Advanced button.
In "Extra settings box remove everything.
Restart the computer

Click the Configure button.
Change maximum speed to 38.400
Click the Connection tab.
Click the Advanced button.
For the Dynalink Modem
In "Extra settings," enter the string. +MS=11
Click OK.OK again and OK again.
Shut down the computer and restart to activate the changes.

For the AMR Modem do the same but enter +MS=34 in the Extra settings box.

Also check this -
Click on Server types Tab at the top
Make sure only Enable software compression and TCP/IP are ticked here. Untick everything else.
Click OK

Go to Control Panels/Network
Remove all except Client for MS Networks, Dialup Adapter and TCP/IP
Click OK and restart computer.

wetpaint
30-12-2002, 10:18 PM
thanks for the input,i made a few errors and omissions on that post that i note now sorry about that

I have used the default port settings 8/n/1 and fiddled around also, to no avail

i have tried lowering the buffer, again seemingly to no avail..

the log shows no problems, thus

12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Recv: <cr>
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Interpreted response: Informative
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Recv: <lf>
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Interpreted response: Informative
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Recv: CONNECT 115200
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Interpreted response: Connect
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Connection established at 115200bps.
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Error-control off or unknown.
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Data compression off or unknown.

i know a moderate amount of computing as i have experience and am currently doing the software component of the comptia a+ certification (how perceptive of you :D)

i removed ipx and netbeui at your suggestion, i think i have tried this before, but i will try again, and get back with the result
I didnt think of the dns entries but alas, nothing astray there either and neither in the hosts file.

thanks for the input its a problem that has baffled me for months and as i have reached the end of my tether i am determined to find the source of the problem.

will be back soon with results of recent modifications.

Elephant
30-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Yes but in Win98 what is in startup? What are you using as an Email client and have you set it to check mail on a regular basis. If you have then it will!!! :-)

Even if it has to dial to do so.

wetpaint
30-12-2002, 10:53 PM
ok after a few tests i am back

i removed all the unneeded protocols to no effect
i disabled flor control and error correction......

without flow control it would not connect..
and
without error correction it would not come off idle

Jim B
if it is at all possible i want to avoid handicapping my connection , if i remember rightly it would connect at lower speeds , but still did the whole idle thing.

Thanks, wetpaint

Jim B
30-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Make sure you set the extra settings exactly as described as you can't just change them as them as they can get locked in and also change the port speed as as per my previous post.
The extra settings you have don't seem suitable and can cause the problems you describe.

If slowing your connection with the correct extra settings works then you know you are heading in the right direction and you could try without any extra settings but remember you need to do a restart after changing them.

If you want to get everything back to default settings in your dialup connection you could consider deleting the connection and setting up a new one as they can get corrupted especially if settings have been played with and caused connection problems. You will need to correct the server types though if you do this and set the port speed to 38400 if you are using the extra settings.

Sorry to give you a step by step in my previous post considering you are experienced with computers but it is important that the correct extra settings are used and they are added as described and network and server types must be correct if all is to function correctly.

wetpaint
30-12-2002, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys, i havent got time to ty it all now as im off, but ill try it in the morning and get back to ya,
thanks again , mike (wetpaint)

roofus
31-12-2002, 07:29 AM
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Error-control off or unknown.
12-30-2002 21:11:00.02 - Data compression off or unknown

i hope these logs occured while you had these disabled.

I agree with jim b on lowering the connection speed, if it helps you find the problem then do it for the mean time.

I see that the log is recording at 115200 which is the port speed and not the modem speed, therefore you don't know what your actually connecting at. Heck you could be connecting at 14.4 for all we know. This problem needs to be resolves. Jim B might be able to help you out with that one, as i can't rember how to rectify that problem.

Jim B
31-12-2002, 07:42 AM
"Upon connection it sits idle for two minutes"

I am a little puzzled by this, what do you mean by idle, if you have actually connected it must be trying to do something such as load a web page.
Does it only affect web sites or is it also failing to login to your mail POP server.
Have you got Connect automatically selected or are you connecting from a dialup shortcut.
Make sure Logon to Network is not ticked in Server Types as this can double the time it takes to fully complete the connection.

wuppo
31-12-2002, 08:03 AM
A delay of a 'minute and a half' sounds suspiciously like a DNS timeout - try specificying your ISPs DNS addresses in the TCP properties as a test.

wetpaint
31-12-2002, 09:16 AM
ok, sorry i didnt define my problem better

what it does is connects, and recieves no data, contects no servers etc.
then after a minute or so it kicks back in and gos......albeit slowly.

Im suspecting around 35-37 actual kbps as it will download beetween 2.5 and 3.5 KBps which for a 56K modem close the exchange is horrible.

aas for error control off or unknown and data compression off or unknown. That was logged with them enabled , and looking at it currently, its in the same state

Log on to server was not checked

As for the dns addresses, ihave had them specified bothbefore and after and during this problem, it doesnt seem to affect it in the slightest.

I am going to try lowering the speed now, get back to you all soon

thanks , mike

tweak\'e
31-12-2002, 10:03 AM
the string will slow it down to 2.5-3.5 KBps.

check the driver for the modem. also check for spyware and any other nasties, i've seen a few do that due to spyware trying to connect.

roofus
31-12-2002, 10:13 AM
> aas for error control off or unknown and data
> compression off or unknown. That was logged with them
> enabled , and looking at it currently, its in the
> same state
>

Well thats a problem then isn't it. You are not getting any compression or error control. Obviously a driver problem, possibly a conflic with the AMR and your normal one.
Also i thought AMR's didn't have a telepermit in NZ?
take out 1 modem completely and go through your problem solving.
Reducing the variables makes everything alot more easier

wetpaint
31-12-2002, 12:21 PM
After trying some suggestions i have some more things to report.

Firstly i took Jim B's suggestion to lower the speed and put in the string for troubleshooting
with the amr modem in this did no change
removed and disabled the amr .....no change

And as for whether or not the amr is telepermited, i dont know, it has no sticker on it so it may have fallen off..., but anyway it came new with the computer from a nz supplier about 3 and a half years back

as for the driver problem , it may be but it baffles me that i have had it do it with multiple drivers for the same modem(s), i have used standard modem , those that came on the cd and website ones for the dynalink ones, to no avail, and the amr one is a pain, but i have used multiple drivers with that also

still baffled, mike

perhaps a file is corrupted, it may have gone across the windows installs due to some software used which when reinstalled re corrupted it..unlikley but possible.

thanks
mike (wetpaint)

Jim B
31-12-2002, 01:09 PM
You might want to check the MS info Here ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q241344) especially removing Dialup networking in Windows setup and adding back in might be useful.

wetpaint
01-01-2003, 02:25 PM
OK , i have a few more things to report in

i removed all the dial up networking files and replaced exactly as
indicated in the knowledge base article , to null effect

I removed all items at startup as well, (msconfig) this also had no effect

I found it will work using standards windows drivers, at low speed as soon as i try and use a digital compression it does the idle thing (eg goes up to just under 33K)

Also, i feel is is not dns as when i manually type in a sites ip addres which i previously looked up it always says not found

i am now suspecting a BAD line, but this is strange as beos does not have this problem,

anyone know how to tel for a bad line without moving the comp to another?(i have already tryed it sans the 10m extension cord, to no effect)

Thanks.......even more baffled.......mike (wetpaint)

wetpaint
03-01-2003, 09:43 AM
It be apearing to me that this sites "month" rolls over at the end of a month, and not after 30 days...quite confusing and annoying but anyway , anyone out there got any ideas?

roofus
03-01-2003, 03:06 PM
personally i'm stumped with your problem.
I feel that you have tinkered around with it so much that you have changed a setting somewhere. The only way to resolve it would be for a reinstall of windows

wuppo
03-01-2003, 03:37 PM
There is a fix for corrupted TCP stacks - that often show as no data transfer, but since you have formatted and performed a clean install, I have difficulty with this being the answer. (Often a botched ICS installation can result in a corrupt stack). Anyway, if you want to try it:

1) In Control Panel / Add Remove Programs / Windows Setup, remove all check marks from the 'Communications' section. Exit from here and don't restart.

2) In Control Panel / Network, remove all software adaptors (DUN, VPN, ICS) etc, all clients and all protocols. Exit here without restarting

3) Regedit - remove:

HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Remote Access
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winsock2
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\Winsock
HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\Winsock2

Restart the computer and re-install your DUN.

wetpaint
03-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah i have been stumped also, i have no idea what it is, i suspected the windows reinstall also, but i iddi a clean install, and fresh with no tweaking i had the problem

im thinking dodgy phone line.....but that confuses as to why it works in beos

or modem......but why would two do the same thing!?

or drivers.but i checked all them

there is another possibility however

i got the external modem due to the internal amr being well......lets not go there (ugh..icky...slow...disconnecting...etc)
which means it is possible both modems are kaput.....unles anyone else has any ideas i will try to source a working pc modem from a friend and try that..
co0mpletely baffled, mike

Sinbad
04-01-2003, 03:07 PM
For what it is worth I think I have the same problem see post "IE6-modem not always responding"

Finally I rebuilt the computer with just WIN98se and IE6 and the modem & drivers, ie nothing else that was not needed, and the problem continued.

I borrowed an external modem, the problem continued.

Next I loaded Netscape and guess what, using Netscape every thing works just fine.

I therefore suspect that my particlular Versions of Win98se and IE6 have some interconnect problem!!!! bug!!!! something!!!!!

I have a second computer also running WIN98se and IE6 and it runs absolutely perfectly, but the program versions are different and I as I do not have the original disks for this second machine I cannot use them to install on the problem machine and so confirm my theroy.

wetpaint
04-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Yes, in many ways it seems similar, i have it slightly different however, it just refuses ANY AND ALL software acess to the (internet) network until somthing happens, which i dont know when it starts going again..

its very peculiar
thanks, Mike