PDA

View Full Version : Oh Bollocks! Suggestions for recording CD to MP3

robo
30-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi guys
I've searched F1, and PCW's fileworld, and all I want is something to let me record some CDs to MP3 tracks so I can take them away on holiday.

Can't find anything. I'm sure I've done it before but can't find anything on my old Win98 machine. Was hoping to do it on nice XP box with newer CD rom.

Suggestions appreciated. Don't need flash. 128kbps would be plenty quality.

robo
(actually, person pretending to be robo but much thicker than the real robo who wouldn't need to ask, him being dead clever and everything)

tweak\'e
30-12-2002, 06:13 PM
try cdex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) can rip cd to varies formats/codecs. its also totaly free :)

Baldy
30-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Musicmatch Jukebox. Its brilliant. And free !

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 06:29 PM
I personally fine AudioCrusher great, its free too, but can safely say that I have heard only good things about the other two progs also mentioned.

Mike-Y
30-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Ditto for cdex - open source, simple to use, low on resources etc etc. Happy ripping
M

Bambi
30-12-2002, 07:29 PM
DB Power Amp is nifty programme and is also free.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

robo
30-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks team, I'll go looking tonight.
robo.

robo
30-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Tried cdex first, works well, almost no configuration required. Even an idiot could use it.
Awesome. Thanks, Tweak'e and others.
robo.
PS About time we had some of these on a PCW CD, yes?

tweak\'e
30-12-2002, 09:31 PM
which ver did you get? their is the stable ver and the beta. the beta is quite good ...its how a beta should be, fully working just minor bugs here and there.

as far as settings go i prefer ogg, quality 5(that makes things really easy) and ripping mode on "paranoid".

robo
30-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Ogg?

I got the non-beta version to see if it worked. It seems to. Have ripped about four CDs already. Going to be able to chuck buckets onto MP3 CD which will be great on holiday.

robo.

tweak\'e
30-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Ogg audio. most mp3 players like winamp can play it but very few hardware (diskman type) players can. good size to quality and a little easier to set up than lame. don't forget the cddb.

Ichthus
30-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Have used cdex for long time, simple, no drama's.

Feature I use alot of is 'ripping' bits of a sound track to .mps, then converting to RIFF-WAV.

"This means that there is stored an additional header (a so called RIFF-WAV header) at the beginning of the encoded file. Furthermore, the extention becomes .WAV. If you have installed a Windows Codec to decompress MP3 Files, this option might be useful. Since Windows takes care of the decompression, even applications that are not aware of the MP3 format can handle this file fromat via the Windows Codec. "

Which means I can use the compresed "wave" file in things like powerpoint, which wont run mp3's.

End of my two cents... B-)