PDA

View Full Version : webcams/digicams

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:16 PM
I am looking at getting a webcam..
and found this one http://intershop0022.ddsn.com/cgi-bin/computercity.storefront

but...i am not sure if i am reading it right...is it like a digital camera that u can use without cables,...and just upload it to the computer using the usb cable...or does it have to be connected at all times to be able to be used?

I am mainly only looking at getting a webcam so i can see family as well as they can see me...but if it has a digicam that i can use on the go..like away from the computer..then thats a advantage...and i dont want anything fancy...but this one mmm so far so good but...advice wanted...

If u guys dont recommend this one...do u recommend anything under $200..or $250...

I use windowsxp home..

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:17 PM
wow what happened there?
the link is my whole message???

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:19 PM
i justy tried the link..and it didnt take me to the speficied page...
so...
heres what it actually is..only thing thats missing is the picture...

All-in-one Portable Internet Video Camera

The new Genius VideoCAM Live is a portable, mini pocket size PC camera - just like a mobile phone. It lets you capture stills and video images up to 640 x 480, 300K pixels easily with focus-free lens and a touch of the snapshot button. VideoCAM Live has on-board 8MB SDRAM memory and stores up to 120 vivid photos or 25~30 seconds of video. Better than other portable PC cameras, it has a great feature of battery low warning. When the batteries are running low, the camera will give you warning beeps and all functions will not be available. Meanwhile you still have extra 2 hours to download the pictures from the camera to your system with the included USB cable. In addition, included fantastic software for image - editing, still/video imaging, presentations and slide shows, and image management. These programs really make it easy for you to take care of your shots.

DSC/Video/Web all in one video camera
LCD display for easy capture mode control
Capture stills and video images up to 640 x 480, 300K pixels
Easy touch - takes up to 120 snap shots anywhere
Built-in extra 8Mb memory
Low power consumption with battery low warning
Includes a hands-free microphone

All prices are inclusive of G.S.T - all images and textual content copyright Computer City Limited, a trading division of Pacific Retail Group - Products are advertised subject to availability

$129.99
Available

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:22 PM
mm...before i forget...
I only go to Computercity (Noel Leemings) and Dicks Smith for my computer stuff...unless its a game cheaper in the warehouse...

I wish i could edit my thread and delete what is pointless and a waste of space...

Graham L
30-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Looks OK, Chris: I read that as saying it is a truly portable camera which will store pictures until you download them after connecting to the computer.

The quality will be fine for pictures for use on the computer: 640x480, but it's not up to the standard of the multimegapixel ones. But the MMP ones cost mega dollars. :D Just don't expect to get photographic quality prints from it. (I don't think that anydigital camera gives that quality).

I'd go to the shop and get a demonstration. See what pricespy.co.nz say for price comparisons.

godfather
30-12-2002, 04:18 PM
That is probably not a bad price, and the images will be fine for Web use etc. Dont expect too much if you try to enlarge them, but it will be fine for webcam use as well. You need low res as a webcam or else the image stream requires too much bandwidth for dial-up connections. Try it out in the shop and see would be the best.

One thing, check what batteries it uses. These things can use batteries at an alarming rate, and unless its something common, stay clear.

If it uses AA cells its fine, as you could use rechargeables. Ditto for AAA but they would have a very short life being smaller. Any other type and I would think twice, as it could be too expensive to run.

There is no flash, but low resolution cameras have good low-light response usually. I had a 340 x 200 resolution one once that would take a photo with only candlelight.

Trev0
30-12-2002, 05:45 PM
I bought the aiptek 1.3mb dig/web camera from Noel leeming for $200 (although I couldn't see it at you're site) and it came with a 16mb smartcard + the on board 64Mbits of built-in SDRAM and all the other fluff, cd's etc as usual and takes 2 AA's
on high res it's pics are 1280 x 960 pixels, 24-bit color depth, JPEG format

check it out here:- http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/dsc/pocketcam/pocketcam13msmc.html

the genius doesn't seem to come with a card meaning you'll have to buy one. I can't quite see if the lcd display is the pic you're taking or just a counter etc in a lcd (like the aiptek)and takes 2 AAA's

here's your link http://intershop0022.ddsn.com/cgi-bin/computercity.storefront

and here's how I learn't recently how to do all those links! (although I still can't seem to get it right either!!)

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29575&start=0&msRange=15

catch ya Trev

exLL
30-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi csinclair83 and TrevO

I think there may be something wrong with the Press F1 Formatting Options system.

I just tried to post a clearer explanation about the clickable links and when I checked it in Preview it had the same trouble that you two had, so I didn't post it.

I'm no expert so I will leave it be. No doubt it will crop up again soon and the experts will attend to it.

You were on the right track TrevO anyway as your first effort worked OK eh!

Cheers. :)

Trev0
30-12-2002, 08:26 PM
yea thanks exll good to know I was doing it right(ish), I tried 3 times before I gave up thinking that there was something else I needed to know on that last one!
I'm pretty close now I think, although I doubt if I'll bother with the complicated lengthy one word link...

trev

exLL
30-12-2002, 08:26 PM
I'll try again.

To post a link to a web address, that will open the address by clicking on a word (or words) of your choosing, here are the steps to take:

Note: I will use double spacing in the examples. You will need to use single spacing. If I use single spacing it tries to make parts of my explanation into a link. That is what went wrong last time I think.

1. Type [ u r l =

2. Type the web address, making sure that it starts with

h t t p : / / w w w .

3. Close the address with a ]

4. Type your chosen word or words. eg Click Here or similar.

5. Close off the whole line with [ / u r l ]

I hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Trev0
30-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Thanks exll, I did manage to get that before, with your well worded discription see (http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/index.html) but just thought it was too much to be bothered with... the three times I tried before failing was above on the failed link in one of the posts here!

thanks again

trev

exLL
30-12-2002, 09:45 PM
First of all, apologies to csinclair83 for sidetracking his thread. That's twice I have done that in the last couple of days. :8} I will have to think a bit more before I post.

TrevO, my last post was made at exactly the same time as your one, 8:26pm. I had not read your post when I sent mine, or would not have sent it. Glad that you have it all sussed.

Cheers :)

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Mm its cool i've done that in other threads..oh well...

Mmm i'll loook in some shops..when i head off to palmerston north..as i know theres like sales on and all..so i better get my butt in motion sometime...

mmm....

Trev0
30-12-2002, 10:08 PM
I perhaps didn't mention that I recommend my camera, as a cheap dig cam, as it takes pretty good pics that at 1.3 Mpixal and should be good for 6x4 hard copies (haven't done that yet).
It came with a little tripod for the web cam bit and runs totaly from the comp when plugged in the usb port (doesn't use the batteries),has a flash and is a doddle to use.

It did cost a bit more than the one you're looking at, but you may be able to weigh that up when you know more..

newer cheaper stuff is coming out all the time but you have to bite the bullet sometime..mine is probably selling for $150 now! who knows!!

happy hunting!

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 10:13 PM
hehehe
that pen cam thats selling for $97..was once $200 or something as i remember a friend buying it....

How about u recommend one webcam or 2...perhaps more lol..from computercity or noel lemmings..or dicks smith...and tell me :D
$200 and under would be lovely..but $250..no more..
and..if its able to be taken to town/on trips and taking pics..as long they are good quality for sending across the net, and for websites..and also as a good decent webcam...
then all is good for me :D

and the one u have...if u can find it on ne website..and is available to get from newhere in Feilding/Palmerston North..and is cheap...i might consider it :D