PDA

View Full Version : Modem error 633

flying_green_leprachaun
30-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Modem on a recently reformatted & fresh install of Win ME wont work,
I have looked here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q191444) & it didnt fix anything. even though it describes the exact probelm I am having & looking on google, there are only vague variations on this fix.
in the Device manager, there is a dialup adapter. but when I go to Control panel > Modems, it brings up the install new modem Wizard.

I had previous problems with a few pieces of hardware (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29573&message=119677#119677) that ME didnt pick up, the onboard Audio (found drivers for this & its working fine) PCI comminications Device & USB Host to Host device... I had thought when I installed the drivers that fixed the audio that the other devices had been picked up as well, but they are still question marked on the device manager.

at this point I am at a loss as to what to try.

Jim B
30-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Error 633 normally means port in use.
Sounds as if you need to reinstall your modem if it is not showing in Modem Control Panels.

I would also go to Control Panels/Network and remove Dialup Adapter
Don't try and reinstall it here, it has to be done with the Dialup connection in ME
Double click My Computer and Dialup networking
Right click and remove the ISP dialup connection
Double click on Make new connection and follow the wizard, it will give you a prompt to install dialup adapter.

When you have the new dialup connection right click on it and go to properties
At the bottom Connect Using check you have you the correct modem showing, if not select it to show in the box.

flying_green_leprachaun
30-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Awesome, I'll give it a go.

Thanks heaps 'n' stuff :-)

flying_green_leprachaun
30-12-2002, 11:16 PM
Well... I am have now moved from Error 633 originally, to error 666 (the devil has my modem... ;-)) to error 630

Sigh

I think it must be the missing PCI communication drivers that I mentioned earlier...

Grr Arg, my friend is going to take back the PC to the PC company & "pay" to get it fixed!!! someone help me retain my dignity, theres a chocolate egg in it for you ;-)

Jim B
30-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Those errors indicate the modem is not functioning.
Have you reinstalled the modem in Control Panels/Modem after removing anything showing there.