PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card

amyes5
30-12-2002, 11:16 AM
I am using an S3 virge dx card in a pentium pro 200 with 64mb Ram.Any suggestions as to a more modern graphics card I could u/g to? Something relatively inexpensive.I'm not into games.

roofus
30-12-2002, 11:59 AM
If your not into games then why do you seek a better graphics card?

You would be better to upgrade your system ram from 64, maybe to 192 or even higher. This would result in performance gains well above what you would gain from a new graphics card. Especially in your scenario

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 12:46 PM
From what I understand, that is a 2 Meg card.
If you're looking at boosting performance, and are not into gaming, then roofus is right, use the money to get more RAM.

If you do want a newer graphics card to play some games, like Croc, that dont need a flashy new PC (I still play that myself), then you might want to look at a relatively inexpensive (And second hand) Voodoo Card.

If you're not into games then why upgrade it?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

tweak\'e
30-12-2002, 03:03 PM
well the s3 virge dx's are slow crappy cards so i can see why you want to get rid of it.

do you need a PCI or AGP? What os?

best bet is to stick to the older second hand cards, even a tnt2 is overkill for it.

Attaboy102
30-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Hello

Why do you need a better graphics card when you don't play any games.

but i understand that your current graphics card ( on board ) is definitely slow and crappy.

but if you don't play games, it probably will be better to spend the money on some more ram instead, because that will speed up the machine performance reasonably.

cheers