PDA

View Full Version : Whats better about Linux compared to WinXP Home

csinclair83
29-12-2002, 09:37 PM
After reading the windows converts to Linux..am seeing quite a few of Pressf1 users have gone and glued themselves to Linux...
Whats better wif Linux compared to Windows XP Home..as thats what I am using...
I wouldnt mind using Linux sometime...permentantly..but i see i'd have alot of learning to do first b4 getting a good grip on it..
But just wanna know whats better about what..and why...

:-)

BIFF
29-12-2002, 10:02 PM
If you already know how to drive it properly then linux is 'free'.

It has the capability to be cut down to perform one dedicated task well. eg Routing or web serving only. (Windows can do this but only the bigger vendors like Compaq/HP or Symantec seem to do this)

Personally I like the idea of linux, but there is no 'killer app' that will force me to move to it. If it keeps mimicing windows then it'll struggle to crack the desktop market.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the price tag is very attractive, you could possibly even sell your version of XP (Its free if you're downloading and burning it yourself, otherwise maybe $20 from most places for a 3CD Set of Mandrake or RedHat Linux).

It certainly doesnt crash nearly as much, IMHO.

Ive used Linux now for about a week on an older Laptop of mine which just scrapes by running it, yet it has NEVER Crashed... notice the operative word being.. Never! ;)

BIFF was right about its task performing abilities, and is also right I guess about there not seeming to be a "Killer App".

However, RedHat 8.0 (What Im currently "testing the waters with", only Im sorta finished 'testing") comes with 2 Full Office Suites, like MS Office or MS Works Suite, only FREE! (Dont you just love that word!).

Linux will also run on under-powered PC's (Not applicable in your case, seeing as you've got XP), but some PC's that arent really fit to run the latest windows can still run some versions of Linux! This can be a scetchy topic however...

Linux is great for use for the likes of Surfing, Office Document creation/modification, and other small gaming passtimes for simple home users. My version of Linux came with about 30 odd games, from Chess to Civilisation! And you know what the best part it... ITS FREE!!!
I dont see any reason to stop you from switching, or Dual-Booting (Keeping WinXP and also having Linux at the same time) if all you use is word-proccessing and the internet.

I have a friend who only uses his PC for the net (So does his family) and for making word docs. They couldnt get MS Works to go (Which came budled with their new PC as well as Windows XP) so he decided to switch to Linux.

He loves it, so does his family, and he says he wouldnt go back.

If you're willing to learn, As I have been - And many others recently Ive noticed too, Then why not Dual-Boot with XP and find out what its all about?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

rmcb
30-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Yeah, just jump in and give it a go
The latest Redhat and Mandrake install real easy and will set up a dual boot system for you automatically.
Or visit your local Dick Smith store -- they have machines on display running Mandrake 9

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:34 PM
m,mmm.....i'd give it a go...but where can i get a copy of it from? As I used to have it on pcworld cd..but thats been mislaid...

I'd download it but that would take forever, as mum doesnt approve of me leaving computer on all night...since theres been a few fires around hree with people leaving computers on 24/7....i dont leave it on that long but with the frequent use i have on the computer then..dont want to risk anything...

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 02:50 PM
You could try NZ_Liam's shop:
http://www.linux-shop.net.nz
he's got Mandrake 9, Redhat 8, and Knoppix too.

Otherwise, somebody here would be happy to mail it out to you (Myself included if need be :))

csinclair83
30-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Mm that website...cant find server?

Graham L
30-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Have a look at http://www.trademe.co.nz/, or there are places like http://www.xsolutions.co.nz, and http://www.copyleft.co.nz.

The Australian magazines APC and PC Authority have been having Linux on their cover CDs fairly often.

But you don't have to convert ... it's different, and takes a bit(or a lot :D) of learning. But it can be educational --- ;-).

I use it because it is so good for networking, and I can play with it. It's more of a real OS like the ones I learned on. Also it's cheap. I can use it on cheap machines ... $5 - $120 is my range for computers, so I'm not going to buy a $multi-hundred OS for each one. :D

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Sorry.. Its:
http://www.linux-shop.co.nz
and not .net.nz

Cheers

Dolby Digital
30-12-2002, 05:13 PM
What sort of machine do you get for 5 bucks Graham?

Graham L
30-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Anything from a 486DX2-66 to a Microvax II. :D

Dolby Digital
30-12-2002, 05:28 PM
1. No product activation (although I suppose thats not a problem if you are not always upgrading your hardware).
2. Choice of Window Managers (although XP is somewhat customisable).
3. Choice of using a gui or the command line (Bill, does DOS still exist in Windoz land?). If there is a problem with the gui usually you can fix it from the command line (nerdy stuff though).
4. Linux doesn't force you to use any particular software. Microsoft want you to use all Microsoft software (wait till that new technology comes along which is in Intel and AMD cpu's that wants to recognise all software that is loaded on your machine) so they try to integrate it all together (which has advantages and disadvantages).

Its all about freedom of choice. You can use XP, I can use Linux, the neighbour can use his Mac and your father can use Beos.

Dolby Digital
30-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Looks like I paid too much for my 486DX2-66 ($29) then (and the hard disk was stuffed too!) :p

Mike
30-12-2002, 07:45 PM
>>> but where can i get a copy of it from?

Hey Chris,

XSolutions is in Palmy.

Mike.

JohnD
30-12-2002, 07:57 PM
What's better in Linux c.f. XP Home - a secure file system.

Mike
30-12-2002, 08:00 PM
>>> What's better in Linux c.f. XP Home - a secure file system.

What's insecure about NTFS?

Mike.

Baldy
30-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Hi guys

I have a 2CD copy of RedHat 7.1 which is an "evaluation" copy. Would I be OK to install this, or should I go for the "Bells & Whistles" version. If there is such a thing compared to what I've got.

BALDY:-)

JohnD
30-12-2002, 10:00 PM
>>What's insecure about NTFS?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought NTFS was not an option on XP Home - only on XP Pro? FAT32 lives on.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 10:13 PM
It shouldnt be. AFAIK, you get the choice of formatting with NTFS or FAT32.

FAT32 is pretty useless for non-partitioning with large drives, as there's the drive size limit on it, just at FAT has a 2Gig limit.

In 2K (Im sure XP is much the same) you get the choice of formatting with either during install.

I dont know of any in-securities with NTFS, its more secure than FAT32, with disk quota management, and other stuff like that!

Graham L
31-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Baldy: Nothing wrong with RH7.1. I've mostly got x.2, but the latest I'm using is 7.2 . It will have Gnome rather than KDE, but that's no problem, really. And it will use less disk. :D