PDA

View Full Version : SCREEN SAVER - HOW TO DELETE

Katydid
29-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Hi There,

Can anyone tell me how to delete any of the screensavers I have downloaded over time from the Screensaver section of the Active Desktop properties (display properties) These ones are not listed
in my 'programs' with an uninstall.

Katydid.

-=JM=-
29-12-2002, 09:35 PM
they have a .scr extension. Do a search for *.scr and delete the one you want to get rid of.

I think that should do it.

Katydid
30-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Morning JM,

How do I find Scr.Extension. I clicked start then find and filled in folder / file but the above never showed.

Katydid

Peter H
30-12-2002, 09:15 AM
As above - Find "asterik dot scr" *.scr
Bye

Bob Kehely
30-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Gidday,

there are a couple of ways. Screensavers are usually found in your windows folder, or your systems folder, which is situated in your windows folder. they are easy to spot, as they have the name of the saver, an sometimes, even an image. Right clicking, and click delete will send the file to the recyle bin. Take care in these folders, as deleting the wrong thing, could cause other problems.

or if you do a search using find, typing the name of the saver should track the saver.

good luck,

Bob

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Bob's right...
Right Click on My Computer
Select Explore My Computer
Double click on you C: drive
Double click on the Windows or WINNT folder
Double click on the folder labelled System32
now, in the Toolbar up the very top, click View and select Details
It should now be split into 4 or so columns, click up the top where its labelled Type
It is now sorted by file type, so scroll down past File Folder and Application, and right down near the bottom will be Screen Saver, they'll be all nicely grouped for ya!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

tommy
30-12-2002, 09:51 AM
Go to Start, Find as you did before and type the following in the box:

*.scr

Or you can open Windows Explorer, click on the Windows folder and on the toolbar running above the file names click on "Type" and the folders/files will be sorted according to their type. All you need do then is scroll down to the ones that have the "scr" extension (providing that extension view has not been turned off). Note however that not all screensavers are held in the Windows folder.

Katydid
30-12-2002, 01:54 PM
THANKS EVERYONE

UM................

just one more question. Did as explained by Tommy and the six I deleted have disappeared from my Display Properties, BUT where I deleted them from the windows folder etc............they deleted.........but have popped up at the bottom of the page............ blah blah blah.........RECYLCLED. I redeleted one then thought I had better check to see if that is ok.

Katydid

tommy
30-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Are you referring to the files being in the "Recycled" folder in Windows Explorer? If so, that is OK. If you wish you can leave them there for a few days to be sure, then empty the Recycle Bin to get rid of them permanently. To empty the bin in Win Explorer click on "Recycled", go to File then "Empty Recycle Bin" and that will delete everything in that folder. Note that you can delete individual files in there as well, the same way as you delete files normally.

Katydid
30-12-2002, 06:54 PM
They were in the "Find Files Named SCI and after deleting the ones I wanted to get rid of I found they re-appeared at the bottom of the list As DC1 DC2 etc etc. plus beside each C/ recycled. After your last post TOMMY I went to my Recycled Bin and found them all there so cleared them out , then went back to the "Find Files Named SCI " list and they have now gone from there too. So thanks very much for your help.

Regards Katydid. (Hope I have explained a bit clearer this time!!!!!!!)