PDA

View Full Version : Mount NTFS

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I think that I read that you need a special tool to mount NTFS File system in Linux.

Running RedHat 8, I want access to my other partitions, 3, with 2 being NTFS and one being FAT32.

How would I go about mounting them and possibly making a link to them on the Desktop?

Many thanks to all for their understanding during the learning curve, Perhaps a n00b guide to Switching to Linux might be in order after this ;) :D

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 09:53 PM
I am doing battle with that problem at the moment and will be interested in the results. One thing I have done is recompile the kernal so it can use the NTFS but haven't got back to things there. Not sure where the recompile was put so will do a hunt and put it in the boot partition.
Under the mount directory you have to add one for each partition and then edit fstab to set the mounts up. Once that is done then you can put a link on the desktop. The Knoppix PCWorld cd when that booted I could mount my NTFS partitions so it would be worth a study.

Good Luck

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I noticed that about Knoppix too!

Im sure this has been mentioned before, which I why I seem to get the feeling that you need a seperate piece of software for doing it.

The thing is, there's nothing under /mnt/ not even my FAT32 Extended Partition!?!?! ?:|

Surely it should be there, but another thing - When I insert a CD and try mounting it, it says it cant coz there's too many drives already mounted?

I never knew there was a limit?

Can anybody help out with that?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 11:25 PM
To mount your fat 32 partition add a directory eg /mnt/98 for your 98 partition and then open up fstab and add a line to mount it . I'm in windows at the moment so can't show you exactly but try man fstab and view what is there and you will get the idea. Am using RH7.3 but I am sure to mount NTFS drives needs a recompile. Somewhere there is a program where you can alter settings and run a recompile adding or deleting parts of the kernal you desire.

Graham L
30-12-2002, 02:32 PM
chilling: You can, as mikebarton says, recompile the kernel, because the new versions will have the NTFS filesystem code. But I'd be inclined to suggest that you just get a package which allows you to make only the module, which can then be loaded when needed. (I tried a search here for "ntfs linux", but I see that what I suggested to Mike was "give 'ntfs linux to google and follow your nose". That should find you the appropriate package). Just doing the module is less complicated than doing the whole catastrophe.

Where are you loading the CD: at /mnt/cdrom or at /mnt? Or do you have 2 CDs, and only one mount point for it? You must have a mount point for each disk you want to mount. Have a look at /etc/fstab and make sure you haven't got any collisions. (The other thing is that some setups don't allow any user other than root to mount CDs. To change that, you add "user" in the list of options for the CD in /etc/fstab.).

mikebarton: you'll find the new kernel way down in the /usr/src/linux tree. There will probably be a Readme file in the ...linux directory which will tell you exactly. After moving the file you will need to update lilo or grub. The usual thing is to make a new "linux" entry for the new one, and change the label for the old one to "old-linux" so you can get back to where you were if something goes wrong.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Okay, thanks for that, I'll check out google now.

As for the CD - Its not a CD-ROM, its a Samsung DVD-ROM.
That's the only optical drive in it.

However, I've got 2 HDD's and both are partitioned:

10Gig Primary:
7Gig Win2K - NTFS
3 Gig RedHat 8 - 512MB Swap (Is that alright, as I already have 512MB and I think your supposed to have double RAM and Swap file)
-100 MB /Boot partition
the rest (approx 2.4 Gig) is Ext3.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
30-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Just make sure there is a mount point for each disk, and an entry in the fstab for each. There is no real limit ... I've got machines which mount disks (including CDs) which are actually on up to three other machines, using NFS.

Try using df or top to see how much of your swap is used. You might be surprised how little it is used.

Graham L
30-12-2002, 03:30 PM
It looks as if RH8 has support for NTFS. The NTFS FAQ at linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ mentions a Red Hat page with details. (add "redhat.html" to that URL :D)

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 04:20 PM
There is the option of i386, i586, i686, and athlon.

AFAIK, I should download the i386. Why is this? I've got an AMD Athlon XP proccessor.. What's the difference between all these?

BTW, The addy was /info/redhat.html but thanks still :)

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 04:31 PM
That's okay.. Got it sussed out! Thanks :) I RTFM!

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Okay... run into troubles here.
Im still on the page /info/redhat.html, RTFM too.. but I get this coming up which I would say has nothin to do with the NTFS RPM:

[root@AMD1700Linux transfer]# fdisk /dev/hda
Unable to open /dev/hda
[root@AMD1700Linux transfer]# fdisk /dev/hdb

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1247.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Could it have something to do with the fact that (AFAIK) my DVD-ROM is Primary-Master, and the HDD is Primary Slave?

I also do this to mount the drive:
[root@AMD1700Linux transfer]# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r -o unmask=0222
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc1,
or too many mounted file systems
[root@AMD1700Linux transfer]# mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt/windows -t ntfs -r -o unmask=0222
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc2,
or too many mounted file systems
(aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
instead of some logical partition inside?)
[root@AMD1700Linux transfer]#
And that's what it comes up with.

Any Ideas? Do I need to switch the DVD to Primary Slave and the Drive to Master?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

mikebartnz
30-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Thanks very much for that Graham L

Graham L
31-12-2002, 02:53 PM
I hope fdisk is just trying to read the disk data, not "fdisk" them :D.

Have you got a file called ntfs.o in the /lib/modules tree? Is it loaded? (use "lsmod". Try "defmod ntfs", then doing a mount. Those mount errors are the sort you get if you don't have the file system available. I though the auto loader for modules would have sorted that, but try doing it manually.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Errm... Well, I would check it all out, but for now, Im still stuck with a text-based interface, trying to fix my display driver (I can even copy and paste!). I havent re-installed the RPM, and wont until I can get into the GUI!

Hey.. Just noticed your reply, I'll give that a shot and then try it out.

It still didnt read the DVD/CD either! :(

It cant FDisk them coz it is only read-only for NTFS partitions, I didnt download the write one.. too dodgy.

Im off to restore the copy of my old display driver.

Let you know what happens

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Graham L
31-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Check that mount command too ... do a "man mount". I normally do "mount -t blah -o options /dev/what_disk /mount_point". If you want to specify a special privileges mask, I think the word is "umask" not "unmask". :D