PDA

View Full Version : Emperor - Battle for Dune and XP Pro?

Waynz
29-12-2002, 07:52 PM
Hi

I have been given Emperor - Battle for Dune BUT after i install the program it will not run

I have XP Pro running on Athlon 2000+ 256 DDR Ram and a GForce4 64 meg of Ram.

I have updated to version 1.09 from westwood BUT still no luck.
I see in the documention the game is made for Win95, 98, ME, and Win 2000. BUT not XP, so i had a look on the internet and found people that are running it on XP no probs.

Has any one any ideas?

Cheers Wayne

godfather
29-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Tried running it in Compatability mode?
Many games run in either 98 or ME mode.

Waynz
29-12-2002, 10:03 PM
I had trid to run in compatability mode windows 2000 already, I have now tried 98 and ME

BUT no luck.

Thanks Wayne

mejobloggs
29-12-2002, 10:10 PM
I ran it perfictly in XP Pro.
Before playing I installed a patch
ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EM109EN.EXE

Maybe thats why it ran.
Try installing it.

mejobloggs
29-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Ooops!
Sorry i didnt see that you had updated it.

Stumped Badly
29-12-2002, 10:36 PM
Mine runs flawlessly on XP Pro with no patches at all.

Attaboy102
30-12-2002, 08:05 PM
sounds like you have pretty good computer for gaming.

try updating Windows, because the update might have some components that might help WIndows run the game, I have a few games myself that doesn't say it is for WinXP but they run fine, games like Commandos 2 and Max Payne.

check if your graphics card supports that game, but this might not be a very likely reason, because i know that geforce4 supports almost any games.

Thanks.

Tethran
10-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Urgh. I know it's a dead topic and I'll probably get flamed for bringing it up again but it was this or create a new topic which says exactly the same things. I'm having problems with Emperor: BFD in WinXP (admittedly Home on this PC, but I do get the same problem on Pro) as well. I am on the latest patch and my problem is not with install but with running it. I try to run the game (either without compatability or with) and the "Emperor Battle For Dune" splash comes up briefly before just leaving me at the desktop. The actual game itself doesn't load up.

Any help here would be appreciated as I've tried everything applicable I can think of short of formatting my PC (which I do not want to do and I can't see it working as I have the same problem on a different PC.)

chiefnz
10-07-2005, 10:56 AM
256 DDR Ram and a GForce4 64 meg of Ram

sounds like you have pretty good computer for gaming. Well not exactly with 256MB of RAM and a GeForce 4 you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone that it's a gaming machine.

My 1st suggestion would be to upgrade the RAM, 256MB won't cut it really. Windows is a hog and with the added pressure of a game your system will be short on resources.

Install another 256MB OF RAM at the very least and I'm sure you will see an instant improvement.

cheers

chiefnz

memphis
11-07-2005, 05:01 AM
100% agree with Cheifnz more ram needed.

If you are a gamer the sweet spot is 2 x 512 mb ddr. :thumbs:

If you want to upgrade the video card then a 6600gt is very good card for the price.

If you dont do the video card/and ram upgrade, do the ram upgrade for sure.

And it makes a huge improvement with running windows xp,loading games/programes from a disk they just seem to whiz of the disk in no time compared to when not having much ram.

And ram is pretty cheap too, check out www.pricespy.co.nz

:2cents:

maulman
10-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Hello you all.....
oki first forget all updates, I recently installed battle for dune on my PC but I had the problem with just a brief flash of the starting logo of the game but the gam did not load still...
I went out to ftp.westwood.com and saw a cd fix patch, the only thing you have to do is to copy the Install cd to a folder on the desktop and download the fix from westwoods ftp...
ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP
replace the setup.exe in the setup folder on desktop\your folder\setup\setup.exe...
start the install with the new setup.exe then when installed replace the emperor.exe in the installed folder/emperor.exe....
no play the game and have fun worked on XP pro.... :thumbs:

drcspy
10-02-2006, 11:59 AM
yeh lol i'd be suprised if a GForce4 64 meg of Ram. could run almost any game.

theres NO CHANCE at all that that card would run many of todays games...and yep more ram 'might' help..

mejobloggs
10-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I ran most on a geforce 2. Yes, at 800x600 lowest graphics, but it wasn't too bad. Played EBfD anyway, and with 256mb ram on win xp pro.

Talon
10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
well i installed it on both my laptop and desktop (both xp pro) worked on my laptop but not the desktop, think we worked out out to be a graphics option in the video card setting but i cant remember what