PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the printer to print through the network :(

ConCon
29-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Hello people :)

I read the FAQ about the "How do I network my PC". Everything went OK from adding protocols to testing it.

I'm networking up to computers

When I got up to the Sharing a Printer section-> Print a test page, the computer that is using the network printer can't print anything. It keeps coming up with an error saying "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating" I tried Keep existing driver and also Replace existing driver but none of them works. I even install the printer's driver manually with Printer's driver CD, but that did not work either. The printer is ON and the cables are all connected, nothing seems to be wrong. I restarted both computers, it did not work either :( .

So does any one know what might be the problem? The File Sharing section was ok, nothing went wrong, just the can't print anything from the computer that is setup using the network printer.

Thank You Very Much

LucyL
29-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Your printer wouldn't be a HP by any chance? Had the same thing happen to me with a HP710C - seems that some HP's aren't made to share over a network. :-(

First try turning off the 2 way communication between printer and pc.

If that doesn't work then try installing the printer on the "other" machine but instead of using LPT1, direct it to the printer port on the main machine ie map that port and turn off the two way communication.

I finally got the printer to work this way.

A search of Google came up with some good answers but sorry I can't remember the address anymore.

Hope that helps
Lucy

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 12:10 PM
On the PC without the printer have you installed the printer( choose network on setup) pointing to the shared printer

LucyL
29-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Installing a shared network printer doesn't work because some printers aren't made to work on a network.

Here's a link to a site that got things going for me:

http://tedfelix.com/HP722c/Networking.html

Lucy

ConCon
29-12-2002, 01:59 PM
My printer is a Lexmark 3200 color fine.

Mikebartnz -"On the PC without the printer have you installed the printer( choose network on setup) pointing to the shared printe"

I already done that, now it just wouldn't print or just comes up with an error saying "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating"

I've just did a seach in Google and I think I got an answer for it. So if that works then thank you everyone. And if that doesn't, then more help would be good :)

Thank You :)

ConCon
29-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Hello

It didn't work :( (http://www2.lexmark.com/infatlib.nsf/Document/ENG9472?OpenDocument) I've tried every option possible but nothing works, it just keep coming up with "This function cannot be performed as the printer is not communicating"

Any suggestions?

Thank You

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 04:14 PM
I had a guy just recently who had bought a new printer and was most surprised and happy when I got it working on the network. I have not come across a printer that won't work on a network. Admittedly I have pulled my hair out getting some to work.

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 04:16 PM
The fact that it is not communicating tells you that it is not connected to the network properly.

LucyL
29-12-2002, 05:25 PM
The Lexmark 3200 - quote from Lexmark "this printer is not supported on a network" check out this link:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/kbsearch/kbsearch.cgi?search_option=simple&query=network&scope=mymodel&ccs=169:1:0:19:0:0&set=10&mode=pass

What you have to do on the machine not attached to the printer is to trick it into thinking it"s printing to a local port.

Even though it's a different model than mine you should still be able to get things working by reading the link I posted previously.

Lucy

LucyL
29-12-2002, 05:32 PM
oops sorry about that, don't know how the rest of my message became part of the hyperlink.
:$ :$ :$
Lucy

Heather P
29-12-2002, 05:58 PM
1st - check that file and printer sharing is on
2nd - settings, printer, specific printer, sharing (is shared)

3rd - these are the instructions for the printer on my network ("Celeron" = computer name with printer attached, "hp" = printer name)

Printer
1. HP Deskjet series 710C
2. Insert disk
3. Install
4. Start; Settings; Printers; HP Deskjet 710C
5. right-click; Properties; Details
6. Capture Printer Port:
7. Device: LPT2
8. Path: \\Celeron\hp
9. Select “Reconnect at logon”
10. Restart

11. Start; Settings; Printers; HP Deskjet 710C
12. right-click; Properties; Details
13. Select “Print to the following port”
14. LPT2: (\\Celeron\hp)
15. restart

ConCon
29-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Thank you Heather P, I tried that before but it did not work :( .

ConCon
29-12-2002, 06:27 PM
It says that my model cannot be supported on the network, but it also says that "If you wish to network this printer, it must be parallel-attached to either a Windows 3.11 or Windows 95/98 workstation, and must be shared using peer-to-peer instructions."
I'm using WIN98SE right now and I've downloaded the peer to peer instructions just this afternoon and tried it but it didn't help at all (the cable is a parallel one as well) :( .

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Usually when it says it is not a network printer it actually means that it will not stand alone on the network but you can network them off a shared PC.

Heather P
29-12-2002, 07:55 PM
The HP printer was a right pain to network. My original method was to carry the thing to the computer I wanted to run it on, install it and make sure it worked, return it to it's original computer then fumble through changing the settings.

Finally I figured there had to be a better way! So I sat down with the thing and really got it figured out. The above instructions were thus born - and they work.

The big problem, as I remember, was getting the connection setting correct. For some reason the following steps:
8. Path: \\Celeron\hp
9. Select “Reconnect at logon”
10. Restart

would never work first time around so I had to go back a second time to get them to work.

Did you put the connection as "LPT2: (\\computer_name\printer_name)"
? - without the quote marks but with the brackets.

The \\ means it is computer on the network, the \ indicates a printer.

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 09:25 PM
In my view that is the wrong way to go about it Heather P.
When I do it I set up the printer on the PC it is going to print on and share it. Then on the other PC's I install the printer through Settings/Printers/Add Printer but when it comes to Local or Network choose Network and it usually works like a dream but one time I had trouble as I had assigned IP's to each PC and it wouldn't work unless it was on the first IP address.

ConCon
29-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Yes, the computer that does not have the printer had been pointing to shared printer, I also tried pointing it the local port. Everything seem to keep causing the "This function cannot be performed ....." Would updating the driver help?

Heather P
29-12-2002, 11:29 PM
Mike, re-reading it I see I made a couple of assumptions:

1. That the operating system is Win 98 (I don't see one specified and therefore assume it is the same as mine)

2. That the printer is already installed and working on it's local machine.

I therefore assumed that it could be taken as read that settings on the local machine should be set to sharing and the printer installed on the remote machine.

The instructions were for the remote machine. The major problem that has caused me the maximum amount of grief is setting the path on the remote machine to the printer. Win98 requires 2 goes and 2 restarts to manage to retain the information.

Heather

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Heather doing it the way I do it you don't get the reconnect at logon so I don't think you quite follwed the way I do it.

Billy T
31-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi ConCon

I a bit of bumbler on networking issues, but I have successfully installed two HP laserjets (6L & 1200) and three different Canon inkjets (BJC610, BJC620 & S750) at various times on my four computer network and could print OK to all. I am currently using the HP1200 & S750.

In each case I installed the printer on the host where it would be physically located and enabled sharing. I then installed the drivers on each of the other computers using the add printer wizard and browsing for the nework printer at the appropriate time.

I had a few hiccups (for 5-10 minutes) while working out how to locate the drivers on the CD the first time as I didn't know I had to mine down to the actual folder, but once the drivers were installed I could print test pages or files as required.

There were no port setting issues or anything of that ilk, apart from the need to enable sharing on each box.

Maybe I got lucky but I'm not sure of that. It was a pretty straightforward exercise and provided the printer can be seen on the network when browsing it all should go OK.

Cheers

Billy <[8-{) :|

ConCon
04-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply.

Well, I just want to thank you everyone for their help :)

Thank you

Billy T
04-01-2003, 09:31 PM
But did you get it to print over the network ConCon, and if so, how did you do it for future reference?

We are dying to know :D

Cheers

Billy [8-{)