PDA

View Full Version : Firewall in Knoppix? ?:|

k1w1pdaman
28-12-2002, 11:50 PM
Finally got around to trying out the October Knoppix CD - I have have an ADSL connection and I'm worried that some hacker will break into my PC while I'm on the Knoppix "side" of my PC.

On my Win98 and WinXp sides I run Zone Alarm.

So is it safe to surf from Knoppix, or is it a security risk? ?:|

Thanks
Cheers
The K1w1pdaman

(Palm rules - I'm always hanging out at PDAbuzz.com)

Graham L
29-12-2002, 02:26 PM
You "should" be safe enough, as long as you are not logged in as "root". But Knoppix is meant as an introduction to Linux: the answer is to install a system, and set it up for security. ;-)

godfather
29-12-2002, 03:32 PM
As long as you use an external etherrnet connected router with NAT addressing you will be quite safe, but if you use an internal ADSL modem it would leave you wide open.

I recently demonstrated to a business the vulnerability of their internal ADSL modem, with no firewall. Case of panic attacks and installation of a firewalled router.

Graham L
30-12-2002, 02:15 PM
But GF, Knoppix is a "live CD" system. It makes a ram disk for temproary files. The hard disks on the system are mounted Read Only, and can only be remounted RW by the root user. The standard setup will be that (a) there are no remote login prompts, and (b) root can't login remotely, anyway.

It would take a very clever person to break in and do anything which could not be fixed by turning the system off and rebooting.

Perhaps you should have been selling Knoppix disks. :D My only objection is that it is a live CD system.

k1w1pdaman
30-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks Godfather.

I do indeed have an external ADSL router.

Linux seems like fun and I am considering buying either a Redhat or Suse Linux distribution.

I am sick of paying for Uncle Bills bloated, processor hogging products.