PDA

View Full Version : Survey: linux converts... how many gave it a go this year



Clueless
28-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Full credit to E.ric for suggesting the question:

>it would be interesting to see just how many people have gone to Linux

I'd be keen to know who gave it a go, and who is sticking with it!

.Clueless

csinclair83
28-12-2002, 10:46 PM
I gave it a go...but it was the knoppix cd from pcworld...and, mmm 2 excuses for why i aint with it nemore...

1:::..i lost the cd...
2:::...i didnt understand it...booted it and then whoop it went all over my head and i didnt know what to do, how do do what...mmm....

I have sometimes considered gettnig another copy, and trying it out again....since most of u have it...somehow..and alot of threads on here are on linux and yeah..

Mmm....

segfault
28-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Well it wasn't this year (more like 3 years ago) but I use Gnu/Linux full time. Never looked back. I'm definetely having much more fun and get much more personal satisfaction now than I ever did/could with "The Other OS" :)

Baldy
28-12-2002, 10:52 PM
When I get a decent modem I will DEFINEATELY give it a go.

By that time there will be plenty of converts on this forum to answer my questions.

BALDY:-)

csinclair83
28-12-2002, 10:56 PM
whats the modem got 2 do wif what OS u use?

csinclair83
28-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Mmm just thought...since u got this survey going..we should make a new thread...with linux questions...since i am going "huh whats the modem got to do wif what OS u use?" and...i am sure other people here might have some questions :-D

-=JM=-
28-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Used Mandrake 8.2, RedHat 7.3 and Knoppix (something) before.

Very limited use though, most was in mandrake 8.2, it was kinda forced learning which was good.

I'm looking at getting a second machine so I can have it dedicated to linux because dual-booting becomes a pain in the arse, and VM Ware just isn't the right way.

Clueless
28-12-2002, 11:22 PM
oo yeah.. i been using SuSE8 on a dedicated Linux machine, and still have win'98 on the original one of similar spec...
I'm about 75% Linux now

csinclair83,
Allthough i'm yet to experiance this, apparently some modems use win drivers and not all are supported well in Linux

.Clueless

mikebartnz
28-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Win modems which most PCI modems are are software modems whereas external and the older ISA are true modems. The software modems do not work very well with Linux

mikebartnz
28-12-2002, 11:40 PM
Red Hat for about a year and a half now. Currently RH 7.3 which I am trying to get to see my NTFS drives.

E.ric
29-12-2002, 07:40 AM
If you are just starting, Have a look at
homepages.paradise.net.nz/erichard/linux.html (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/erichard/linux.html)

I hope to do more, and if anyone would like there own tips up, but must have their name as well on their tips for their credit let me know.

Terry Porritt
29-12-2002, 08:09 AM
Yes, I gave Mandrake 9 a go when it came out on that APC disk. Tried the different "workstation" interfaces. It's the Unix stuff underneath where all the learning is involved. The only Unix Ive used before was data entry into a GIS program, and using FTP command line instructions from DOS.
It's loaded onto a separate hard drive in a caddy, so when I feel like playing it can be plugged in and away it goes.

roofus
29-12-2002, 08:28 AM
I ran Mandrake for a month or so. It was interesting but i didn't see anything that warranted me to switch from winME to it.
This is me a standard user who is mostly on the internet or writing reports.

obsidion
29-12-2002, 08:46 AM
> I ran Mandrake for a month or so. It was interesting
> but i didn't see anything that warranted me to switch
> from winME to it.
> This is me a standard user who is mostly on the
> internet or writing reports.
>

Since you only use it for that, going to linux would be a big plus.
1/ The internet is waaaay more secure using linux.
2/ There is nothing in M$ that is better than open office or star office IMHO.
3/ It doesn't crash or lock near as often as ME does...

obsidion
29-12-2002, 08:50 AM
> When I get a decent modem I will DEFINEATELY give it
> a go.
>
> By that time there will be plenty of converts on this
> forum to answer my questions.
>
> BALDY:-)

Well the kids are using a conextant pci winmodem on their linux box. Mandrake 8.2
http://www.linmodems.org.
So I don't see that as a big reason for not trying it...Go get the appropriate drivers stick them on a floppy or in say mydocuments if you want to dual boot and then install them once you've got the linux going...

Jen C
29-12-2002, 09:25 AM
I played with SuSE 8 for a couple of months, but I am going to try Lycoris next.

Dual booting with LILO in the MBR is a pain in the rear, so I will set it up to only boot from a floppy in future.

Jen

*PS I had to get an external modem (Dynalink) as my winmodem was completely ignored by SuSE.

Neil McC
29-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Chris,I did run the Knoppix cd on this machine,but not a lot worked,not that I fiddled with it much.Have my business program on this one,so very jittery about doing anything out of the ordinary.But have been following your posts,and when I'm allowed to get the new pc to do my video editing in a couple of years ;-) then I'd like to try it out!

roofus
29-12-2002, 10:57 AM
> Since you only use it for that, going to linux would
> be a big plus.
> 1/ The internet is waaaay more secure using linux.
> 2/ There is nothing in M$ that is better than open
> office or star office IMHO.
> 3/ It doesn't crash or lock near as often as ME
> does...

secure in what way? Because there aren't as many security holes in the browser? Could this be because M$ is constantly under scrutiny hence they are always found

Star office was designed from M$ Office. But as you say thats ur opinion

My winME. never crashes.

roofus
29-12-2002, 10:58 AM
> My winME. never crashes.

INfact mandrake crashed more than windows did. So this was another reason why i went back. Sure i never found out in mandrake what was causing the crash, so hence i didn't rectify it

pluto
29-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Well i am going to Install Red Hat 8.0

Infact thats my New Years day task. I want a fresh system begining next year :)

I am going to completely backup data and wipe everything and plan to multiboot with Win2k // WinXP // Red Hat 8

And if someone can give me some ideas on my existing situation it will be great as then i wont have to format everything and just add Red Hat if thats possible

Current Setup:
2 Hard Drives - Disk 1 = 4 GB / Disk 2 = 6 GB:

C: FAT32 Win 98 on it (Disk 1 - also boot partition)
D: NTFS Win 2k on primary partition (Disk 2)
E: NTFS Win XP on logical Drive (Disk 2)

I wish to add Red Hat on Disk 1 where Win 98 is. Currently the whole primary partition has Win 98 so i want to use some space for Linux.
I cant use other drives as there is virtually no space left
Is it possible to setup Linux?

Thankxx

Clueless
29-12-2002, 11:32 AM
>*PS I had to get an external modem (Dynalink) as my winmodem was completely ignored by SuSE.

My previous dabble with Linux was redhat and a dynalink interanal. It was a while ago, back when it was still possible to find a 33k modem new. Redhat said.. looky here a modem shall we use it?... simple as that, simpler than 'doze by far. *thinks, i still got that modem laying around somewhere*

Pity not everyone had the good luck i did!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 11:51 AM
>
> secure in what way? Because there aren't as many
> security holes in the browser? Could this be because
> M$ is constantly under scrutiny hence they are always
> found
>

Not neccesarily true, But because Linux systems are open-source, more people get the opportunity to check them out before they get realeased as "Final"

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 11:52 AM
One reason it is more secure is that Windows has a lot of services on by default ( eg. UPnP) when they have no reason to be and it can be harder to turn them off because so many rely on each other

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 11:55 AM
> I played with SuSE 8 for a couple of months, but I am
> going to try Lycoris next.
>

Ive tried a lot of linux since I started wok with IDG,
Firstly was RedHat 7.3, but wasnt successful, tried that a few times on some machines that were just too underpowered without enough RAM.

But anyways, I've tried Mandrak 9, RedHat 7.3, RedHat 8.0, Knoppix, Lycoris, and I think that's about it.

Ive recently set up my laptop as a dedicated linux playbox, and have SAMBA going as well as Apache,and I can safely say Im a happy camper, time to dual-boot (Or triple, coz 2K and .NET are already doing dual...) on my new PC, and see how RedHat handles DVD's!

Cheers


Chilling_Silence

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 11:59 AM
You will want Win 2k on the 98 partition and then load XP then RH and use Lilo for booting as you can uninstall it whereas with Grub you can't and when triple booting it is much easier that way.
You will find it easier doing a complete reinstall. If you had been retaining 98 then you could have just installed RH over the 2k partition

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Im gonna agree with Mike on this one, 98 and 2K Happily Co-Exist (Currently running that setup on my Famiy's PC) without Partitioning, leaving more room when needed, just remember to setup progs in Both OS's, and Its worked fine for me. Just be careful with programs, use the default install path, and install it in both OS's coz otherwise, if you, for instance, install MS Office in 2K but not in 98 afterwards, then there will be the install sitting in your program files directory, but 98 wont pick it up as being there coz it has to add the registry keys and what-not.
As for the rest, depending on what you're gonna do with RedHat, Id give it 3 Gigs, and XP the rest.
The best way to do this IMHO would be boot off a 98 Floppy, and partition it, specifying 1 partition as 5 gigs primary. Install XP and it'll format the HDD for your (I think, 2K does and from what I remember, I've been told XP will also).
Then when installing RedHat, select Automatically partition and tell it to use un-partitinoed space or something similar. Ive done this, only with 2K instead of XP!

Hope this is clear enough, good luck


Chilling_Silence

Dolby Digital
29-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Well I've just loaded RedHat 8.0 on my "fast" machine (I use the term fast loosely) and am using this machine via Mozilla to access PressF11. Even though I like Linux, I have to say that XWindows looks like it has less dpi that windows does (anyone know?) i.e. it doesn't look as crisp as windows (same machine/monitor etc). I have been using Linux for about 18 months now and its getting better all the time (shut your ears Bill :D ). I use it as a gateway to the internet, my accounts

I just fired up OpenOffice - bit slow to load. Oh well maybe I should get a P4.

I like Linux.
I like Linux...

BIFF
29-12-2002, 03:35 PM
> Not neccesarily true, But because Linux systems are
> open-source, more people get the opportunity to check
> them out before they get realeased as "Final"

Do you compile all your own code yourself after examining the source?

Rod J
29-12-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure but I think Windows runs at 96 dpi and Linux is 90 dpi. I know I read something about it somewhere a while back when I was trying to get the fonts looking better in Red Hat Linux 6.2. Anyway I'm running Mandrake Linux 9 very happily now (the fonts are much improved compared to RH6.2 and True Type fonts are fully supported). I still dual boot to Win98SE but if I was the only person using the computer I would probably spend nearly all the time in Linux. Incidentally, a play with the PC World Knoppix CD convinced me to upgrade from RH6.2. It was a bit of a fiddle getting RH6.2 and Mandrake 9 to work with the Conexant HCF winmodem but it is possible to get winmodems working with Linux if you can find a Linux driver for your internal modem.

nz_liam
29-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Me?

Using RedHat 8 (right now), Win NT 5.1 has completely screwed up and won't boot (again :_|), and I'm copying all my files to my linux partition, reloading windows, then copying the files back (again (already done this once this year). I have also used RedHat 7.3, the PCW Knoppix & the Real Knoppix this year, and have Mandrake 9 and FreeBSD sitting round waiting for me to try them.

Back to reloading Winbows; (what can't you do today?) B-)


Cheers

Liam

rmcb
29-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Posting this from Mandrake 9.0
Got xp pro as well dual booting with lilo.
Linux is my default os, it rocks!

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Im not sure I get what you're on about, but:
I have done some programming, and I beta released my latest chat software 5 times before making a "Final" release.

I have also added the source to the download site (http://www.geocities.com/rescuemannz/qc3.html) for others to look at and comment on.

I dont get what you're on about, but I do examine MY code before compiling it. VERY THOROUGHLY!

*Chilling_Silence hopes he hasnt gone off down the wrong track here...*

Dolby Digital
29-12-2002, 08:21 PM
Umm... back in Windoz 2000 Pro (are you there Bill :D ) and IE (my main development environment at the moment). Anyone found a good open source web development tool?

-=JM=-
29-12-2002, 09:33 PM
>>> Im not sure I get what you're on about, but:
I have done some programming, and I beta released my latest chat software 5 times before making a "Final" release.

I think it was relating to the fact, that unless you download the source and compile it yourself, you can never be completely sure of what you are using.

tedheath
29-12-2002, 09:38 PM
You linux people remind me of the people who bought beta vcrs when they came out.
The same people who would drive Ladas or Skodas watch tv3 news use netscape, bank with kiwi bank, tree hugging, labour voting, anti american,
pro immigration etc.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 09:39 PM
>
> I think it was relating to the fact, that unless you
> download the source and compile it yourself, you can
> never be completely sure of what you are using.

I agree with you there, but I can say that anybody in the world who desires, CAN view the source code IF THEY WANT!

*Chilling_Silence would just like to point out he is not flaming, merely emphasizing words :D*

However, with M$ software, to get a look-see at the code, you've gotta be one of the chosen few who are hired by Mr. Gates!

In saying that, there is likely a lot more looking at Linux software :D

segfault
29-12-2002, 09:41 PM
> Umm... back in Windoz 2000 Pro (are you there Bill
> :D ) and IE (my main development environment at the
> moment). Anyone found a good open source web
> development tool?

I haven't found anything better than a simple text editor with syntax highlighting for web development.

Clueless
29-12-2002, 09:55 PM
>tree hugging, labour voting, anti american,
pro immigration etc

Spot the guy threatened by something outside of his comfort Zone....

I'm not anti american, i'm anti everything! (not quite really) I dont trust anything that is from something as big and ugly as any govt of any leaning, let alone M$. That has little however to do with Linux.

I begun seriously using Linux about 4 months ago, (hence the birth of "Clueless the Linux virgin") I'm now $75% Linux, BECAUSE IT IS BETTER. The learning is in my spare time, and dispite feeling like a real twit at times, i am getting it. Once the penny drops, it becomes much simpler than 'doze, infinatly more stable, and the doze/linux virus ratio is nothing to be sneezed at either.

Anyway Ted, i recon you were looking for a bite, and i possibly lowered the tone of the place by giving it, but there you are.
Happy new year
.Clueless

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 09:58 PM
tedheath I would suggest that if you are going to post like that that you go and subscribe to AnchorDesk.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:10 PM
> Once the penny drops,
> it becomes much simpler than 'doze, infinatly more
> stable...

I fully agree, and Im going through with it now.

Ted, Have you ever given it a shot? The Knoppix CD on the October Cover Disc for example?

Ive now got 1 Laptop fully RedHat 8 Linux, one PC Dual booting with 2K (Coz I need 2K to play my windows games..), and soon another dual boot with 2K and another wholey dedicated Linux box to become a server (300Mhz with 192MB RAM for a firewall is a little much, but maybe I'll use it for other stuff).

Not to mention - Its actually FUN! I have enjoyed learning it so much, something totally new. Amaze your friends that your PC doesnt have windows on it! (Not really, but that's besides the point)

Perhaps the same could be said for you, loving windows to bits..
You like Windows, others prefer their own.
They arent out to kill you for liking windows, but many simply want to share the experience of something new, something different.

Give Knoppix a go, its not half-bad, and I promise, no health issues will arise from doing it too ;) :D

Cheers


Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:13 PM
> ....go and subscribe to
> AnchorDesk.

What's that? Is it like Anchor Milk or something ?:| B:)

segfault
29-12-2002, 10:24 PM
>
> >
> > I think it was relating to the fact, that unless
> you
> > download the source and compile it yourself, you
> can
> > never be completely sure of what you are using.
>
> I agree with you there, but I can say that anybody in
> the world who desires, CAN view the source code IF
> THEY WANT!
>
> However, with M$ software, to get a look-see at the
> code, you've gotta be one of the chosen few who are
> hired by Mr. Gates!

The point is, you have a choice. Whether you want to look at the source code or not is up to you but when it comes to things like bugs, it makes a lot of sense. This comes in handy when people are able to contribute patches to a project without having to rely on the programmers to release the patch.

The linux kernel was built in this very way - the default VM in the kernel is the -aa vm but if I want to use say the rmap vm, all I have to do is get the source and patch the kernel.

Stumped Badly
29-12-2002, 10:24 PM
How many of you use our very own homegrown Linux site.
I've been using it for a long time now & it is a great resource for anyone wanting to know more about the power of linux.

http://www.startlinux.co.nz/

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:37 PM
I seriously think a FAQ about switching to Linux, The Pros/Cons and about getting started once you've made the jump (Dual-Booting or Dedicated).
Things like networking, modem setup (Which I havent had to do yet) would be good too IMHO.

Id be willing to contibute after having just gone through a lot in this past week or so, and I think there would be quite a few others who would also be keen!

Anybody else think this is a good idea, Cover Mandrake 9 and RedHat 8 would be the main ones I think :)

segfault
29-12-2002, 10:48 PM
> You linux people remind me of the people who bought
> beta vcrs when they came out.

Actually, I think you've got it a bit wrong there. I wasn't around to see if but although betamax was a superior system, vcr manufacturers were required to pay a royalty to Sony. However, JVC didn't require a royalty for VHS. Now Gnu/Linux is popular because it is free (as in beer and speech) and open, not because the Gnu Foundation demands a royalty for every distribution sold. Therefore, to me, your argument doens't stand.

> The same people who would drive Ladas or Skodas watch
> tv3 news use netscape, bank with kiwi bank, tree
> hugging, labour voting, anti american,
> pro immigration etc.

One word: "stereotype". People who use/follow Gnu/Linux are all different, you just can't lump us all together in one big pile.

Also, unless you live under a rock, you would realise that Gnu/Linux has support for companies like IBM, Sun Microsystems, HP, Xerox, Intel, AMD, Transmeta, Borland, O'Reilly and more that I can't think of. We also have a lot of support for many Governments around the world such as India (Huge support there), Germany, France, Mexico. Hollywood even use large Gnu/Linux clusters to render movies - Lord of the Rings was one, Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek. You get the point anyway.

As you can see, Gnu/Linux has a huge amount of support from many many companies and its certainly not going away so don't be so quick to write it off.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 10:54 PM
>
> As you can see, Gnu/Linux has a huge amount of
> support from many many companies and its certainly
> not going away so don't be so quick to write it off.

Yes, From what I understand (Just for some Local Flavor), Fletcher Forresty and also Air NZ have made a switch to Linux workstations within the past couple of months.

BTW, I use Kiwibank and ASB, and Use Phoenix as my preffered browser.

Everybody has their own tastes, I let u live, why cant you do the same to me?

mikebartnz
29-12-2002, 11:07 PM
It's a newsletter from ZDNet and I would say quite a few in the forums have not been weaned yet.

roofus
30-12-2002, 07:35 AM
> You linux people remind me of the people who bought
> beta vcrs when they came out.
> The same people who would drive Ladas or Skodas watch
> tv3 news use netscape, bank with kiwi bank, tree
> hugging, labour voting, anti american,
> pro immigration etc.

LoL ol ted here was just making a joke, and all the pro linux fans got really upset and fought back at his comments. If you really enjoy using linux then you don't need to justify yourself. I bet you still try and justify why been a geek is better too.

Chilling give up trying to convert everyone to your latest OS flavour of the month, you do it in so many posts that don't ask for comments relating to the os, you just like to mention it for the sake of it, same goes for clueless.

People use an OS that suits their needs, we are all unique people hence why we all use different OS's.
Don't try to convince people that linux is the end all, because we know its not. The same goes for m$ users who shouldn't try and convert linux people (that would be pretty hard to do though!)
Each to their own.

So lets get off the sling match and get back to the question at hand.
Survey: linux converts... how many gave it a go this year

mikebartnz
30-12-2002, 09:00 AM
I agree with most of what you said but I gave up on AnchorDesk because there were too many posts like tedheath and I don't want to see it happening here as this is a good friendly and helpfull site.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 09:50 AM
> Chilling give up trying to convert everyone to your
> latest OS flavour of the month, you do it in so many
> posts that don't ask for comments relating to the os,
> you just like to mention it for the sake of it, same
> goes for clueless.

Who Me? ?:| :O ;) :D


*Chilling_Silence offers his humblest apologies*

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 10:09 AM
> People use an OS that suits their needs, we are all
> unique people hence why we all use different OS's.

Or in my case, 4 or 5 different OS's

> Don't try to convince people that linux is the end
> all, because we know its not. The same goes for m$
> users who shouldn't try and convert linux people
> (that would be pretty hard to do though!)
> Each to their own.
>

As clearly stated by yours truly here:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29602#120184

All I am saying here, is that you too may have been a bit harsh.
Have you seen this post:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29636
Where do I mention me trialling .NET Server? Okay.. So I have in the past, but Where do I convert everybody. Its fast, its lean, and its a server! Not for everybody.

Perhaps you migt have been a wee bit quick to react?
Perhaps I was too origionally

No fear... On the topic:
Yes, and now I have 1 dedicated, 1 dual-booting, and another on the way.
As for MS Converts,
This year I have gone from 98 to 2K, to .NET RC1 to .NET RC2!

Cheers


Chilling_Silence
I would also like to point out that I do not expect roofus to try out the latest MS Beta software, nor the latest download of Lycoris Desktop/LX Linux!

Clueless
30-12-2002, 10:18 AM
>you just like to mention it for the sake of it, same goes for clueless.

Well yes.. its a huge enjoyable learning experiance that i want to share with you all! (and pick all your brains)

I'm just a sharing kinda guy :D

O yeah it's .Clueless with a big "C" for Chris, thankyou

.Clueless

BIFF
30-12-2002, 02:34 PM
> > Not neccesarily true, But because Linux systems
> are
> > open-source, more people get the opportunity to
> check
> > them out before they get realeased as "Final"
>
> Do you compile all your own code yourself after
> examining the source?
>

The point being that it is a common assumption that someone else is actually checking the millions of lines of code in Linux. In reality there are just as many bugs and security holes/trojan backdoors in linux code as commercial. Please note that I'm not looking for a religious OS war here, -I have 2 linux servers myself.

Graham L
30-12-2002, 03:59 PM
An FAQ? About getting started. setting up a modem, networking?

There is a well-known syndrome in the computing world: "Reinventing the wheel.

People have written these things. Lots of people have written these things. People have written books about it. You get hundreds of pages of documentation with a distribution of Linux. The HOWTOs are the first place to look. Most of them are readable, and are the result of accumulated experience of many people.

Have a look at FAQ80, for links to a number of useful sites, some of which give links to more useful sites. :D

But Read The FMs before you start writing more FMs. :_|

Then ask here about any parts you don't understand.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Mine didnt come with a manual... :'( The downside of free stuff :D

Graham L
30-12-2002, 04:28 PM
The documents are on the CDs. They should have been loaded by default, probably in /usr/doc/ ...

They are all available on line. The LDP (Linux Documentation Project) has a site. It is mirrored in NZ. Have a look at FAQ80. :_|

JohnD
30-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Started using Linux (dual boot with Win98) in about 1998. Started with RH6.0, then used Mandrake 6.0, RH6.2 and for well over a year RH7.0. In August 2001 I did away with the dual boot bit - sick of being in the "wrong" OS all the time and having to reboot to get into the other one. So have been surviving happily with Linux only for over a year. Upgraded to RH7.3 just before 8.0 came out so will stick with this for a while. Major apps - OpenOffice, The GIMP, Mozilla and GQView for my digital photos.

CraigM
31-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Good to see people experimenting with Linux. I have been using it for about a year and a half but still use my win system for some things.

An earlier question asked about dual boot configs but i highly recommend that if you can afford it you have two separate systems then you can enjoy the benefits of both. I have two boxes and a KVM switch at home.

At work i had to build a new server and by opting for RedHat Linux i saved a stack of cash and had instant interoperabilty with my existing Unix and Windows workstations by using Samba, NFS, FTP and Apache in fact most of my users don't even know they are talking to a Linux Box.

The world is quickly being divided into two groups Windows and Unix based OS'es even Apples have a unix base so whereas a few years ago i wouldn't touch an apple with a barge pole i am now considering one for my next machine. I haven't burned my bridges with windows and dont recommend anyone else to do it, what i do now is learn everything i can about all OS'es so i can pick the best one for any given app.

Have a Crash free (Car and OS) New Year
CraigM

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 10:51 AM
VERY well said. I too am keeping with windows, but why not explore a new world and enjoy something different.

As for macs, I believe that they are making a comeback as you said.
I wouldnt buy one though, as from what I understand they arent very upgradeable, and I like to be able to pop the case on my PC when need be (The downside of laptops).

rumpty
31-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Yes, I'm giving it a go. Mandrake 8.2, then 9.0, and it's going well. Had a big time with getting some good looking fonts, and then SCSI emulation to fire up a CD writer, but I'm trying to use Linux as much as possible.
Have a dual boot setup with W98SE.

Chilling_Silence
31-12-2002, 12:00 PM
Hehe, that's about right, Im still using KAte coz I didnt install any office suites, only ABI-Word and that's got some weird looking fonts.

Im taking it that OpenOffice and stuff like that have fonts that come with them?

I think that a lot of people have tried it out, yet because miscrosoft is the monopoly, most people still are dual-booting or have a dedicated PC to try out Linux on.

I just wish I knew of a local dealer who sold Linux games! I would love to buy UT2K3 for on Linux and not Windows!
Where can I buy games and stuff? Would it have to be online?

Cheers


Chilling_Silence

Jen C
31-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Dr Floppy's Computers (http://www.drfloppy.co.nz/) sell linux games - located in Queen Street AKL

Linux games listed:

CIVILIZATION - CALL TO POWER
Descent 3
HERETIC II
Heavy Gear II
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Myth II Soulbighter
Sim City 3000
Soldier of Fortune

They maybe able to source other linux games.

UT2K3 (http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/?downloads) is available in the demo version for linux - it's 100MB's though!!

Jen

segfault
31-12-2002, 01:31 PM
> I just wish I knew of a local dealer who sold Linux
> games! I would love to buy UT2K3 for on Linux and not
> Windows!

Why not just buy it for both? They both come in the same box :D

Falcdragon
31-12-2002, 02:38 PM
Moved to Mandrake 8.2 April this year. Now runing Mandrake 9.0. The only use I have for windows now is playing games. Every thing I need can be done just as well or better in linux. Also had a play with Knoppix (full cd) and Yoper.

Pato
31-12-2002, 03:58 PM
I also tried Knoppix on the PC World CD and found it to be a neat OS. I am going to try one of the other versions when I get a PC with more grunt.