PDA

View Full Version : CDRW not writing as it should

Oxie
28-12-2002, 08:16 PM
I have Win XP Pro, a Diamond Data CDRW 40x32x10, a Pioneer DVD Rom Drive and Nero 5.5.7.1 bundled software. For some reason I cannot copy (burn) a CD. Today I tried burning a CD at 12x and it was going well until it got to 75% and then did no more. The CD drives do not stop, I get no messages and in the end have to Ctrl+Alt+Del and close the program. I cannot eject the CDs from the drive until after I have restarted the computer. I have established it cannot be my DVD Rom drive as I then attempted to copy (burn) files from my computer to a CD. It showed 100% completed, but no message that it had been completed successfully. Again I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close Nero and restart the computer to eject the disk.
The CD had burned successfully.

My questions are would this be a hardware problem (my Diamond Data drive) or software (Nero)? How should I go about remedying the problem? I bought my computer in August. Would this be covered under warranty with the guys I bought it from? Your suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks
Lyn (Oxie)

b1naryb0y
28-12-2002, 08:23 PM
It sounds like an incompatiblity between Windows XP and Nero 5.5.7.1 and not a hardware problem.

I recommend that you download and install SP1 for Windows XP if you haven't already.

Nero 5.5.10.0 is the current version and you should update to that.

Hope that helps.

Ichthus
29-12-2002, 12:02 AM
From the Ahead Software site:

Free Nero/Nero Express Demoversion and Update from previous versions

Filesize: 12.3 MB (12,919,810 bytes)
Current version: 5.5.10.0
Release date: December 18th, 2002
Running until: January 31st, 2003

http://www.nero.com/en/topframe_ns.htm

Important Installation Information

This file can be used as a free Nero demo version, if you didn't have Nero installed previously, or as an update from an older version of Nero. In case of an update the software will detect whether you are entitled to a free update or not.

Hope that helps.... B-)

Oxie
29-12-2002, 08:50 AM
Many thanks b1naryb0y and Ichthus. I will look into it.

Lyn (Oxie)

wotz
29-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Does it ask you for a file name? I found a setting in my Nero that was writing a file to hard drive rather than burning to cd. It was under the recorder menu on the main screen.