PDA

View Full Version : getting my CPU serviced?

Mandy Fisher
28-12-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm about to pack up my CPU and courier it to PC Company while its under warranty and get them to fix it, my CD Rom drive is not recognising discs anymore, apart from pulling out the plug from the back of the CPU is there anything else I need to do?

robsonde
28-12-2002, 08:22 PM
put it back in it's orignal box with packing foam type stuff.

if it get damaged in transit and you dont pack it well then it will not be covered by PC company.

IMOH: don't send it with fastways :-) I have had too many problems with then.

-=JM=-
28-12-2002, 09:30 PM
What do you mean by "CPU" I'd be very surprised if your CPU would have anything to do with the CD-ROM not recognising discs.

Dolby Digital
28-12-2002, 09:34 PM
I presume you have tried a number of cd's. Can you see the cd drive recognised when the pc boots up and the bios stuff is displayed at the start. You could go into the bios at startup (usually press the 'delete' key as the pc boots up) but if you don't feel comfortable in there don't bother. Does windows display the drive in Windows Explorer?

Mandy Fisher
28-12-2002, 09:46 PM
where will i find Windows Explorer? I have XP
Sorry, I know very little.

tommy
28-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Windows Explorer is similar to My Computer which you should find somewhere on your Start menu. Look for the CD drive device.

Mandy Fisher
28-12-2002, 10:05 PM
thanks, yes its there,
my problem is that when I insert a CD it tells me there is no disc in the drive, it only rarely picks up that there is a disc in. It is only 2 months old and has only once picked up a Audio CD and I have tried heaps, I know when it is not going to recognise a disc because when I insert the discs it starts making a grinding sort of noise then nothing

tweak\'e
28-12-2002, 10:06 PM
just to put it another way if you click on "my computer" you are in/useing windows explorer.

Dolby Digital
28-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Sounds like its a "pack it up for a warranty job". The cd drive could be a bit "flakey" (technical term no. 364)

Mandy Fisher
28-12-2002, 10:20 PM
yep I agree, but I feel very stressed about it, I'm worried incase I have done something wrong and its not covered by the warranty. My son has a CDRom game from the library at the moment and has no problem with it.

Bazza
28-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi Mandy:

"Windows" explorer (not to be confused with Internet explorer) is a most useful tool for dealing with your drives, files & folders.

Go to it via start|programs|accessories,
or press the Windows key(next to the left Ctrl key) + E.

Check it out, look at the "Help" there, and as suggested see if it will show & access your CD drive.

Mandy Fisher
28-12-2002, 10:59 PM
ok I've looked around and gone through help etc, looks like everything appears fine there with my D Drive.

Baldy
29-12-2002, 01:10 AM
Hi Mandy

When you put a disc in the CD Drive, what happens if you push the little button (beside the eject button)

I have found that sometimes when you put a CD in the tray it dosen't "Auto Play" and needs a little help to get started.

If all else fails, send it back to the retailer. You paid for a warranty, so let them sort it out. You might have a faulty CD Writer

BALDY:-)

roofus
29-12-2002, 08:33 AM
I know the sound that Mandy is talking about. and it is a fault with the cd-rom drive. I believe it has something to do with the cd-rom arm not holding onto the cd properly so when it spins it vibrates and makes a lame farting sound.

Send it back to PC Company. Along with ensuring good packaging, ensure that when you close do your PC to pack it that is closes down correctly. ie, turns itself off. If you just hit the off button then the reading arms on the Hard Drive will not be in there "safe" position and could wreck your hard disk

Mandy Fisher
29-12-2002, 09:30 AM
yes that's the exact noise it is making, tried a CDRom that was new at Christmas, brand new and still not reading it. It played fine on dads computer. I just tried pushing that button next to the eject button and it didn't make any difference.
Really fustrating.

Graham L
29-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Computers are like that, Mandy. It's quite likely to be a bad drive. PC Company (and all other assemblers) are probably quite used to replacing them under warranty.

Mandy Fisher
29-12-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks all for your help with this, you are wonderful!
It's off to PC Company for my computer! I'll let you know how I get on when I get on-line again, sure will have to find some thing else to do now!!!! Hope it doesn't take too long!!!!!