PDA

View Full Version : HTTPD Setup over LAN

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2002, 06:24 PM
Im just wanting to know how to route information through the gateway PC (Running 2K) to my Laptop's IP Address which is running HTTPD.

I can type in the IP Address of my laptop into my web browser (http://192.168.0.79) and it'll come up with the site, however, not if I type in the Gateway PC's external IP.

How do I get it open to the world to see??

Thanks again :)

Chilling_Silence

BTW, What would be the best website with FAQ's to this sort of thing, surely there is a nice big FAQ list to n00b linux questions like the ones Ive asked the last few days?!

Dolby Digital
28-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Does your gateway pc connect to an isp to connect to the internet or does it have a static ip address?

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Via normal Dial-Up, so I know my IP changes each time, but its just for play at the moment so I dont mind

Graham L
29-12-2002, 02:55 PM
I suspect that "the only way to get there from here is not to start from here". :D

Have you logged into an ISP from the W2K? If so, I think that would stop the laptop server from being accessible, because the W2K would "own" the session, and its (external) IP address will get any incoming traffic. It is not running httpd. ;-) Can you log in from the laptop, using the W2K as a passive gateway, which does not own a session? Remember that linux is multitasking: if you log in as a user, the httpd server will be sitting there, and will answer anything which comes in on port 80. It should be OK ... but I don't know.

The 192.168. ... IP address does not "exist" on the Internet. It is a non-routable internal LAN address.

Big John
29-12-2002, 04:07 PM
Your IP address on the dialup changes each time so you need to type in that IP address that is given. The outside world does not know about your internal PC IP addresses however it does know about the external one if you know it. Type that in and it should forward it to your PC unless you have a firewall or NAT software running on your PC.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Yes, I have dialed the ISP from my 2K Gateway.

Its like this:
-ISP - Ihug with a new IP Address each time I dial-in (I know this, but that's fine, its just for hobby use at the moment until I get Cable or whatever, Its not important!)
-Win2K - DHCP and Dial-Up Gateway
-Laptop running RedHat 8 - Apache hosting my website (Just a test site at the moment).

Now, My Laptop doesnt have a modem in it, is there any way that it can "Own" the session as you mentioned or whatever without having the modem in the laptop itself and have 2K as JUST the Gateway?

And about the LAN, I know its inaccessable, I just used the IP address of the laptop to test that I had setup the HTTPD correctly. If its accessable over the LAN then thats a start, and its setup from apache's side correctly.

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

-=JM=-
29-12-2002, 06:02 PM
hheheeh thats a first, the MS computer is the gateway for the linux box.

All requests to port 80 on that IP address will be going to the 2k box that will turn it down unless it's running a server on port80.

You'll need a way to forward all requests on port80 to the linux machine.

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2002, 08:10 PM
...Yup, I figured as much. Will I need to have a specific piece of software that I can just leave running in the system tray while I want hosting enabled on the Linux Box?

Yes, I know, but there's a first for everthing (As I have learned recently!)

Thanks

Chilling_Silence