PDA

View Full Version : A 2003 wish list

E.ric
28-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Sorry to start this off again !! but who knows maybe there is a suggestion that would be easy to add on, then we can rest easy until 2003/2004 holidays., when we have nothing better to do

(1) the ability to edit ones own posting, (to fix up ones mistakes)
(2) A link to the last anti virus update or maybe just a date on page one of last available download (like AVG)

(x) (less important) it would be interesting to see just how many people have gone to linux with a browser & operating system hit recorder.

Clueless
28-12-2002, 05:19 PM
>(x) (less important) it would be interesting to see just how many people have gone to linux with a browser & operating system hit recorder.

well count me on that.. all my email and webbrowsing is now handled on my SuSE box with Kmail and Konqueror.
Perhaps it is time for a PF1 survey?

(if you dont, i will)

> the ability to edit ones own posting, (to fix up ones mistakes)

I think we might have to just learn to get it right first time... challenges challenges. actually i dont want to see that one happen, it would be to confusing when the question gets altered and the reply then stops making sense.
Perhaps "Are you sure you want to post this?" would be better?

AV? o yeah.. i remember that.. thats a windows thing isnt it?

.Clueless

robsonde
28-12-2002, 07:14 PM
I think I would like the edit post function.

also I like that some forums have a "number of views" so that the person who asked the question can see if it is being read and not replied or if it is being looked over all togeather.

as for the question of what OS? could this be a thing to add to your profile?

and as for the question of AV updates, could we get an info page with
* latest dates for AV updates
* info about new security updates for windows (only important ones :-) )
* newest dates/versions for linux kernals info .
* newest linux distro version info
* up comming web events of intrest .
* verified virus warnings.

all of this is just links and info so NO large amount of data will need to be stored by IDG

NOTE: all spelling mistakes and such like could be removed later if I could edit, or they could be removed now if I was not so lazy :-)

Clueless
28-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Maybe this is one of the things that irritates me but why does someone have to do it for us

All these things are good ideas:

* info about new security updates for windows (only important ones )
* newest dates/versions for linux kernals info .
* newest linux distro version info
* up comming web events of intrest .
* verified virus warnings.

So why don't those with the greatest interest just go and make them happen?
I would have thought that the function of PF1 was a medium where such things could be announced, like tweak'es news. If anyone has the time and can be bothered to do something regular, then a sticky post might be in order.

Any wanna do any of this?

.Clueless

robsonde
28-12-2002, 08:01 PM
OK , I will take up the chalange.

posting once or twice a week?

can anyone think of any other stuff that could be included?

BTW: how do people make sticky posts? or is this a admin only thing?

tweak\'e
28-12-2002, 08:07 PM
only admin can do the sticky posts.

if you would like to do a "news" post PLEASE go right ahead. every one has different favorite programs and its a nightmare trying to keep uptodate with them all.

superOman
28-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Perhaps PC World could buy, make or invest in the technology that ran
c-net catchup (www.catchup.cnet.com).

This was really great until they discontinued it. It was free
You ran an applet, and it would tell you the updates you needed for your pc. It would include most programs and drivers. (Some that you would never think of updating)

tweak\'e
28-12-2002, 08:56 PM
trouble here is the web updates so fast its not funny. catchup was a pain as it was out of date so often. i doubt pcworld could do it, their program listing is often way out of date as it is.

odds are if you have it on cd then its highly likely to be out of date ;-)

J ZEP
29-12-2002, 03:49 PM
> if you would like to do a "news" post PLEASE go right
> ahead. every one has different favorite programs and
> its a nightmare trying to keep uptodate with them
> all.

Oh tweak'e, I hope this doesn't mean your news posts have come to an end :-( - as you do such a good job of them and i always enjoy catching up from the imfo you provide in them. However I can appreciate that it would be rather time consuming on your part doing the research and putting them together etc... And we are very grateful to you for it :-)
And on that note Thanks for all the work you put into them over the past year plus :-):-):-)

>>>>4every one has different favorite programs and its a nightmare trying to keep uptodate with them all.

But thats what makes your posts so good - they are always a good mix of good programs and varied imfo ;-)