PDA

View Full Version : Help with a TradeMe deal gone wrong

Chilling_Silence
27-12-2002, 08:09 PM
I ran a closed ad on trademe.co.nz and had somebody respond to my Ad (Asking for a phone faceplate).

A person responded saying they had 2 for $XX plus postage, I replied asking for their bank account.

They promptly mailed back with the account details and told me to include my postage details when I emailed back yet again letting the person know when itd gone through.

I did, 3 times, and then another 2 or so asking what had happened. I just sent the person an email saying that I had waited over 3 weeks since deposited the money and sent them my bank details asking that it be be re-deposited into my account before next thursday, which would have made it 4 weeks after I made the deposit.

What are my rights in this situation, I've kept all the emails and stuff.

What can I do if they dont make contact or refuse to re-deposit it and refuse to send it?

How long is acceptable delay, as all my other auctions etc (Buying and selling) have taken less than a week all up to complete!

Thanks all

Chilling_Silence

wotz
27-12-2002, 08:30 PM
Accordint to Trade Me, negative feedback is all you can do, unless you want to go to the Police, but I guess it wasn't enough money involved to have them spend 5 minutes on.

Pauline
27-12-2002, 08:42 PM
Hi Chilling,
What a horrible thing to have happen. In future 'Safe Trader' would be the way to go as protection especially for large $ items. I had a quick look & it seems that ASB acts as a 'trust' until both parties are satisfied. Not sure if there is an extra fee for that service but I'm guessing that there is.
Pauline.

Jen C
27-12-2002, 09:10 PM
You have given that person a deadline of next Thursday to contact, post goods or refund so I would wait until then.

Did you have a look at that traders feedback comments? Was there anything to suggest that this has happened before?

If nothing has happened by next Thursday, your only choice is to leave some rather negative comments in that person's feedback, and perhaps have that person suspended from further trading at TradeMe.

drys
27-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi chilling I would go to the Police theft is theft They should be able to obtain the persons address from the bank account details you obtained.They could go to them and ask what the story is.
Trev

Ron Bakker
27-12-2002, 09:48 PM
I shall start by saying that I wash my hands before I say anything but I have been down a similar road with an auction at trademe.
I bidded on an item on trademe & won, so I deposited the money & gave mailing address then that's where it stopped. So I stayed proffessional for a few weeks & didn't loose my temper. But still nothing happend.
The item was worth a couple of hundred dollars & I was getting desperate so I called a bluff. I sent an email saying that I have contacted the police & that if the auction was not resolved by xx/xx/xx that this would give the police the athority to access your details through your account number. The next day it turned up .
I know what your thinking (dodgy and illegal)
But the p....k try to take me for a ride.
With that said the guy was new & did not support safe trader & had a hot mail address.
Once again I am not recomending this just sharing an experience.
Because calling a bluff is calling a bluff & if the other guy was to take it any futher what would of happend?

mikebartnz
28-12-2002, 01:53 AM
You can let Trademe know about this and they can take some action.
I personally would not be happy doing business with someone using only a Hotmail address for TradeMe deals. A hotmail address is basically a spam box.
If you have their true bank details as someone said the police can take it from there.
I must say I have not had a bad experience on TradeMe but have had a couple that tested my patience.

Clueless
28-12-2002, 09:06 AM
>Hi chilling I would go to the Police theft is theft

Well no, it's not theft, you willingly handed the coin over. However false pretences were used, therefore its fraud!
From what i've seen of the NZ police petty theft is something that they tend to do the paperwork on and thats about it. If it were theft expect no result. However this is fraud, and fraud is something they will more than likely get their teeth into, particually if this person is making a habit of this.

.Clueless

Ron24
28-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Tell us the name of this guy, so we can all avoid him (or her)...

Ron24...

Clueless
28-12-2002, 09:56 AM
>Tell us the name of this guy, so we can all avoid him (or her)...

Or send the boys round!
:D

.Clueless

roofus
28-12-2002, 02:09 PM
so is that Ron24 we are suppose to avoid ? :-)

Trev0
28-12-2002, 03:15 PM
OT. anyone noticed how quick trademe loads, in comparison with, say, pressf1?!
looks like around the same amount of info, all up in a flash!! i wonder if anything could be done...?

just an observation...

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Yes, I always check their user ratings, and if theres too much negative feedback (So far I've only traded with one person who's had a negative comment, everybody else has had full :)'s), so I do a lil background check before hand.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens, wait til thursday and ho[e for the best.

Thanks guys!

Chilling_Silence

Clueless
28-12-2002, 04:20 PM
I've told the "boys" that they cant visit the guy yet cause it's xmas and things sometimes take 10 times longer to get get through the mail system

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2002, 04:35 PM
lov2chatnz - Just looked her up (Amanda) and she's had some troubles since early december/late nov with her auctions
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/view_member_history.asp?member=66314
That's the Users Profile - Im not the only one, but otherwise, there's around 280 good remarks, 2 neutral and 6 bad (All the non-good ones are recent).

Perhaps this user has fallen by the wayside.

Any thoughts?

Terry Porritt
28-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Maybe the IRD would be more interested in people like this than the police. Many who sell through Trade-Me and similar are in effect unlicensed second hand dealers, and are probably part of the "black economy". A bit of buying and selling to earn a bit of pocket money is one thing, but when an individual has hundreds of sales against their name, then they are in effect a dealer.

Kiwitas
28-12-2002, 08:47 PM
It looks like your Vendor has troubles alright CS,but it is risky
doing business with those with negative feedback!

> Maybe the IRD would be more interested in people like
> this than the police. Many who sell through Trade-Me
> and similar are in effect unlicensed second hand
> dealers, and are probably part of the "black
> economy". A bit of buying and selling to earn a bit
> of pocket money is one thing, but when an individual
> has hundreds of sales against their name, then they
> are in effect a dealer.

Hi Terry,I think you will find that the Vendors with"hundreds"of sales to their credit are legitimate dealers who actually use vagst invoices!(that has been my experience)buying on TradeMe!

It is the Fly-by-nighters with single sales who change their user name
for each sale that the IRD should target!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

falvrez
28-12-2002, 09:04 PM
My wife *lives* on trademe, buying and selling a bunch of stuff...much to my annoyance most of the time. Where am I going to store more redundant computer gear if she is filling the house with useless stuff? (yeah guess I could sell it on TM but who knows when I'll need that double speed CDrom again).

But anyway my point is with the Safe Trader system that Trademe promotes.
Sure it is a good idea but the $5 charge per transaction moves it for sure into the bigger buck items only...

Dolby Digital
28-12-2002, 09:28 PM
I've got some old stuff she might be interested in :D

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2002, 09:40 PM
>
> It looks like your Vendor has troubles alright CS,but
> it is risky
> doing business with those with negative feedback!
>

That's the point, back then there was no negative feedback, look at the dates and it would seem I am not the only person in this predicament!

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Well guyz, its thursday, and no news from outr runaway dealer.

Now what?

Its not like I deposited thousands of dollars, actually, under $50, but the point is, Im not the only one that has been scammed by this trader!

Today is the date I said I would do something, but what do I do??

Thanks

Chilling_Silence

Clueless
02-01-2003, 12:54 PM
I nominate contacting trademe, and fraud squad..
in that order

.Clueless

Baldy
02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Contact Trademe

The fraud squad will be too busy full stop to deal with (in thier view) a minor transaction. All they will do is fill in a complaint form then file it. They will probably discourage you from making a complaint due to lack of police resources

Baldy:-)

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Okay, Im off to check out trademe and see what I can do, I'll post a reference to this thread too...
Im not the only one who's had probs with this trader, just look in the traders feedback, there are several!

Thanks, I'll let you all know how I get on :D

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Okay guys, been in the TM chat, and had a bit of help from some people named Em and Talka, who were both very helpful.

One of them new the trader and said that she'd moved recently and changed email addresses. So they emailed her and Im just gonna wait for a response.

Thanks pplz! :-)

Baldy
02-01-2003, 08:24 PM
said that she'd moved
> recently and changed email addresses. So they emailed
> her and Im just gonna wait for a response.
>
> Thanks pplz! :-)

Seems a bit of a barmy way to do biz - especially when you have got auctions going etc. If she was more professional, she would have retained her old email address at least

Clueless
02-01-2003, 08:27 PM
>If she was more professional, she would have retained her old email address at least

Too much spam?

.CLueless

robo
02-01-2003, 09:18 PM
This seller looks like a flake.
Can't see why they deliver on some things and not on others.
I don't think I have ever dealt with anyone with negative feedback.
I would email trademe on their contact email address and see what they suggest (might take a day or two but they will reply). The large volume of +ve feedback would suggest a credible seller and you mightn't notice the -ve until closer inspection, if ever.

BUT some people do have problems. Had one person that had been in hospital and disappeared for a while but they did come back eventually. This person seems to have a lot of things "go missing". Yet, they don't seem to reply when there are problems.

robo.