PDA

View Full Version : Initialising a new disk

icampbell
26-12-2002, 09:33 PM
I have a Windows XP Pro sytem and have just installed a second 60 GB hard drive. The BIOS recognises it and it appears in Disk Manager but nothing happens when I right click and choose Initialise disk. I have administrator rights.

Can anyone help?

Ian Campbell

HadO
26-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I had the same question in my mind last time I added a HDD in Windows 2000 PRO.

Do a search for Disk Management (that's what it is called in Win2000) and open and it should have all drives installed - including your new one.

You will have to format it - use NTFS if you are just using Windows files and then activate it and assign a drive letter if you don't want the default - you can also partition the drive if you want.

I hope this helps you out I don't use XP.

icampbell
27-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply but it seems that under XP the disk needs "initialising" before any other action including formatting, and it is this step that is failing.

Ian Campbell

Graham L
27-12-2002, 02:21 PM
It will need partitioning. :D If there is no partition, it can't be formatted (which is probably what XP means by "initialise"). FDISK is the programme for that.

HadO
28-12-2002, 12:33 AM
I don't think Win 2000/XP has FDISK as that is a DOS program for FAT/FAT32 discs isn't it?

tommy
28-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Have you had a look on the hard drive manufacturer's website to see if they have a FAQ section with advice? They may also offer support by email if you contact them.

BIFF
28-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Right Click it and create a volume on it.

icampbell
28-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered my query. The problem turned out to be hardware. The plug on the IDE cable for the second drive was not installed correctly! We live and learn.

Ian Campbell

Graham L
28-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Wrong. We live. Sometimes we learn. :D

How was the cable wrong, Ian?

It can't have been "upside down", because that would have stopped everything. Was it the "off by one" error, where the socket was one place sideways, so it missing one pair of pins?

icampbell
29-12-2002, 10:52 AM
I suspect it was the "off by one" or a pin not making contact. I had butchered an existing cable to fit my case and I realise now that although the BIOS recognised that a disk was there, the name was corrupted which should have given me the clue. Once I got a cable that fitted better, everything worked fine.

Ian Campbell