PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate INI files

Craigb
26-12-2002, 10:04 PM
One more for the night
I have just run jv16 Power tools to do a duplicate file check and come up with a whole lot of desktop.ini files and .css files in the Folders of the Temp Internet Files\content etc. Are these files safe to delete, even though they are in the Temp Internet folders and there are lots of them (15 duplicates of the desktop.ini ones). Seems strange to have these files spread everywhere.

Craig.

Mike
27-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi Craig,

are you saying all the "desktop.ini" files are in Temp Internet Files folder, or are in folders all over your computer? Usually the "desktop.ini" file stores information about how Windows should display each folder in Explorer or My Computer if any display settings have been set for the folder (eg viewing the folder as a web-page etc). If you delete them then the folders won't display how you've told it to, however it shouldn't effect the running of your computer if you do delete them.

HTH

Mike.

Craigb
27-12-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that. I take it that if I delete them and the folders dont display as I have previously selected, then I will have to re-select the way I want them to display. I may as well leave them though as all the files add up to less than 100KB so the potential hassels may not be worth it.

Cheers
Craig.