PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning in Linux

Shroeder
26-12-2002, 09:12 PM
OK, here the story...

Santa was good enough to bring me a cd burner (IDE) for Christmas just
in time to replace my aging CDRom. (It therefore is the secondary master, with primary master being the HDD and no slaves involved)

The question is, how do I get Mandrake 9.0 to recognise it as a burner -
From my reading linux expects all burners to be scsi?? - How do I go
about fooling it?

TIA

Gorela
26-12-2002, 10:33 PM
It is kind of similar to what you say. Linux will class a CDRW as a scsi and so normally it will become sda0. I would have thought that Mandrake would automatically recognise the device and assign it for you though.

rmcb
27-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Had a similar problem, a full reinstall of Mandrake fixed it......
Try running harddrak.

Graham L
27-12-2002, 02:00 PM
I don't know about Mandrake, but RH7.2 required a module loaded to "convert" an IDE CD/DVD drive to SCSI. It will be in the HOWTOs :D

Shroeder
27-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Interesting...

I did an 'update' of Mandrake 9.0 and it now recognises hdc as a cdrw. (I can even get eroaster to recognise it) However, I now do not appear to have access to the cdrom as a normal user, even though when I do:

#ls -l /mnt/cdrom
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 27 22:28 cdrom/

This is exactly the same as the result for the floppy and I can access this OK??

Any ideas

Thanks

Graham L
28-12-2002, 02:15 PM
There are security problems with CDs in servers. The default is to have root access only. The simplest fix is to edit /etc/fstab , and add the option "user" in the CD's entry. (Since it's now a CDRW, check that it has an "rw" option, because a normal CD is mounted "ro". You'll find a description of the security problem and ways around it in the [i]first[/b] response to "user access cdrom linux" in google.co.nz.