26-12-2002, 08:28 PM
First, BIG thanks to everyone who helped me out with my harddrive problems :D

The DOS Question

P90
48Mb ram
500Mb harddrive
DRDOS 7
Arachne web browser

OK I want to find a free office suite for DOS preferably one that has a GUI, and if possible is compatible with MSword 2000 (unlikely I know but it never hurts to try)

The OS/2 question
I have always wanted to try out OS/2, and I remember it being free on the cover disk of a rival computer mag (APC) 2 or 3 years ago, does this mean there is a free version of OS/2 Warp (4?), or was it only free on that particular magazine. If it is free can someone point me to a location to download it from, because I can't find it anywhere.

And finally the BeOS Question
Is there a good informative web site with screenshots etc , I found this one
BeBits (http://www.bebits.com/app/2680)
but I am not sure what i am supposed to download ?:|
ok I'll explain that with a question Can Beos run as a stand alone operating system as from what i can tell you need to install it either within windows or linux, I mean does it have its own file system etc.

Why am I asking about 'Dead or Dying" OS's
Well I have always had a soft spot for DOS, and as some of you may know I had no end of trouble trying to set up my modem under linux, so as a laugh, I decided to see the alternatives, 2-3 hours later I had my P90 with its troublesome modem surfing the net with DRDOS as the operating system and Arachne as the webbrowser, and it was not too noticebly slower than my flatmates 500Mhz machine.
As as for the other OS's , I was about 17-18 when OS/2 came out and everyone who used it raved about it, but I never got to use itn then it seemed to dissappear.
and As for BeOS, well I'm just curious

Ok I think I need to get a life after reading this

Anyhelp would be much appreciated
(with the Questions, not with me getting a life) :p

4bes
26-12-2002, 09:11 PM
I've got a copy of the APC cover disks with os/2 warp 4 and Beos 5. It also includes staroffice 5.1 for os/2 and lots of utilities.
It was released free but I wouldn't know where to download it. I could send you a copy if you want.
The free version of BeOS will only work from within windows or linux

Nigel Thomson
26-12-2002, 09:39 PM
That would be great, I have been hunting high and low for them,
My email is

nigelt1974ATnetscapeDOTnet

(well that should confuse the spammers)

please email me so i can send you my address, and also let me know how much you want for the copying and postage

Thanks heaps :D

-=JM=-
26-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Office 2000 compatibility in a DOS program not likely I can't imagine. But I'm sure that Office 2000 _may_ be able to understand it.

hmm Word 11 will save in Word Perfect 5.1 format ;)

rmcb
27-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Try here for your beos question.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/print/0,23102,2472887,00.html

Graham L
27-12-2002, 03:31 PM
Beos, OS/2, and RedHat Linux 7.2 came on that APC CD set. Good value. :D

You might not fit that (demo?) version of Beos on that computer: I think it need more than 500 MB.

OS/2 is a lovely OS. It's a "pity" MS did the dirty on IBM, and also a pity that IBM stuffed up their marketing. :_|

Nigel Thomson
27-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all your responses people, :)

finally Beos makes a little more sense, yes i will need a bigger harddrive, but even second hand they're a tad pricey,

I am still hunting round for a DOS office suite/ wordprocessor, just so long as it is not white text on a black/blue background (I hated those old programs, made my eyes hurt)

well time to read a few more links
thanks for the help given and any that is to come

PS am I the only one who has shutdown my computer and peered at the innards because of an odd sound, only to find that it is the sleigh bells on the Xmas ad/thing at the top of the Forum X-(

Jen C
27-12-2002, 06:40 PM
> PS am I the only one who has shutdown my computer and
> peered at the innards because of an odd sound, only
> to find that it is the sleigh bells on the Xmas
> ad/thing at the top of the Forum

It would be safe to assume that! :D

A recent check only found dust in the PC innards, no sleigh tracks to be seen!