PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot 2 Single boot

Bambi
26-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Good afternoon everyone

Presently I have Win 2000 on my C: drive and XP Pro on D:.

I only want one OS, now that I have checked them both out.

What would be the best option for me and how to formatt so I can have XP as my only OS. Will formatting get rid of the boot options screen on startup?

Never done this before help me please.

Heather P. This will fix my JavaScript problem as well
and thanks for time Heather :)

BootyLicious
26-12-2002, 01:01 PM
I would Boot in to windows 2000 format D: and then with windows XP cd format win 2000 and install windows XP onto C:, then have D: for back up and stuff.

Bambi
26-12-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi

That crossed my mind but thought that was to simple

Elephant
26-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Before you do this make sure you have backup of your Docs, Address Book, Favourites etc. :-)

Heather P
26-12-2002, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest reading FAQ #1 on reinstalling (also 33 - reformatting and 34 - fdisk). Although FAQ1 was written specifically for Win98 - a step-by-step guide - the principles are the same.

The dual boot is caused by a hidden file(s) on the C: drive. Reformatting C: will remove this file

Bambi
26-12-2002, 01:58 PM
I'm going through my files now so I can make a backup CD. And I will do some reading aswell.

Thanks guys

Bambi
26-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Instead of backing up to a CD, can I just throw it all onto my third partition???

Heather P
26-12-2002, 02:25 PM
If you don't plan on tampering with the third partition - yes. However, if you are new to reformatting and repartioning it is strongly recommended! that you also save to a completely seperate disk (and as you have a CD Writer a CD is ideal) as well. Also, once you've saved to CD check that you can read a few files first.

Reformatting does require the "belt and braces" method as things can go wrong (like the time I used Microsoft backup - 1st disk read, 2nd didn't but it was OK - I had made a 2nd straight copy of critical files to other zip disks).