relentless
26-12-2002, 10:27 AM
I have a compaq evo
p4 1.6
640meg sdram (133)
gf4 mx440
sb live 5.1
win2k

Problem I have is its performing nothing like what it should.
I've gone through many many things trying to figure this out which include.
I've updated
bios update
mobo drivers
video drivers

Its running an intel chipset.

I have a p3 866 (VIA chipset) with a gf2mx that performs much better than this.
The problems seems to be bandwidth. I'm very sure the video card isn't running in pci mode as thats what the mobo drivers enable and in display properties its saying agp 4x.
I've tried the same gf2mx from the p3 and it performs almost exactly the same as with the gf4 so I doubt it has anything to do with the video card.
I even went so far as to setup another partition and try winxp from fresh installing all drivers but there was no change in performance.
game wise, I find myself running things at 640x480 to get a relatively consistant frame rate but even then its dropping in half when lots of sprites/models are on screen.
Compared to the p3 which can run at 1024x768 and hold the frame rate at most times.
I've tried different detonator drivers for the vid card but they don't make a difference.
I have no idea on where to go from here and compaq arn't happy to support it as I'm using a 3rd party video card and memory.
any ideas?

Falcdragon
26-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Strange the early P4's a pretty slow compared to the p3's and the gf4 MX440 is simply gf2 @ a faster clock speed but the system should be slightly faster than the p3 866. It's possibly the SDram the P4 needs ALLOT of memory Bandwidth to out preform a p3. It's quite likely that the p4 just can't preform as well as the p3. Is it a P4 or a Celeron P4? If it's a Celeron P4 the p3 is probably faster. Have you tried the gf4 mx in the p3?

relentless
26-12-2002, 10:54 AM
I haven't tried the gf4mx in the p3 yet, I could easily try it. Its definately a p4 not a celly. I was thinking the sdram could be the bottleneck but its just weird that lots of people with lower spec computers and similar spec computers can perform so much much better than mine. Its almost a harsh reality to try and accept :)

Falcdragon
26-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Compaq might have made a few changes to the Mobo that cause the gf4 not to work to well in it. hard to tell.

roofus
26-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Yea but hold on. Where are these video streams coming from. The computer? or maybe your dvd drive.
So why don't you have a look at them to see if they are causing the problem.
The drives should have DMA enabled, to help with their speed. What do you have loaded at startup?

YOur oringinal message said something about you wanting to run in PCI mode? You don't want to be running as if its from PCI. AGP is faster.

To a performance test on your computer and report back to us.
Download sisoft sandra
and run the tests.
or quickly goto http://www.pcpitstop.com
and run their tests. This will give us an indication of some of your problems

Falcdragon
26-12-2002, 11:12 AM
you could also have a look in the bios to make sure AGP is turned on and set to 2x-4x. Also if the computer orgionally had integ graphics make sure they've been turned off properly and disabled.

relentless
26-12-2002, 11:28 AM
This is video performance as in graphic intensive applications, from games to divx to dvd playback (games is most noticeable because they stress the computer more).
When I first started playing with this I realised that the mobo drivers wernt loaded and the card was running in pci mode so I installed the drivers which supposedly enabled agp mode on the video card so now its running in agp 4x according to display properties (I've tried in 2x and no difference ethier). But the performance was no different than prior to this, which is what confused me so much about it.
Unfortunately the bios is very limited as to what you can do (nothing really).
But I"ll run the performance test and get report back once thats done.