PDA

View Full Version : Why is my swapfile suddenly being used?

Danger
26-12-2002, 09:18 AM
New system for 2 days, 2.4 PG, 256 ddr ram and the swapfile today (not yesterday) is now using about 500k. I know this is not ideal, why is it using it. I have the conservative swapfile setting set at 1 so I don't know whats causing it. Do I need more ddr ram? Memory manager monitor says I have about 140 m unused physical memory.

Win ME

Clueless
26-12-2002, 09:42 AM
My understanding of swapfiles is that it comes into play as a kind of backup/poor mans RAM
Of course i have no idea what you actually do with your computer, so your question reads a bit like "how long is a piece of string" to me
The only time i ever see the swapfile join the party is when using graphic manipulation progs such as photochop. These programmes are often asked to make changes to huge files, and the work in progress has to go somewhere, and thus the HDD starts a chugging, and it's time to make coffee.

.Clueless

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 10:07 AM
256 meg isn't exactly huge. windows usually tries to off load any 'might not be needed files' to the swapfile to keep some ram free. tho usually conservative swap setting stops this to a far degree. i usually don't use the conservative swap, just let windows do its thing. don't panic your'e not going to loose much/any speed from it.

daninjapan
26-12-2002, 12:11 PM
i set the swapfile to 1.5 times my RAM - this way WinXP doesn't intermittantly complain that its too small.

i see no noticable speed difference between that, windows own, or no swapfile setting.

roofus
26-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Don't worry about it danger. Your talking about 1/2 a meg here!

Falcdragon
26-12-2002, 12:21 PM
512MB of Ram here Windows XP's using 300MB + another 300 of Swap stupid thing. So nothin unusuall.

Danger
26-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys. Never seen it being used before. A reboot stopped it. Noticed a couple more start up programs also after loading my new modem. ptsnoop.exe and pctptt.exe and tried unticking them and uninstalling but had no luck. Windows said it was useing ptsnoop and I couldn't find the other one. On reboot they had reloaded themselves back onto the start up list and were ticked again.

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 02:44 PM
ptsnoop.exe-"Three descriptions I've come across - all valid as far as I can see :-
(1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not needed from
what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it
(2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE -see here for more info
(3) Apparantly the people who put it out claim it's a driver for a Voice modems (don't know who they are
though - Ed)
Note: If using AOL and you disable this you may lose your connection or lock up"

pctptt.exe-
"Country selection for a PCtel HSP56 based modem. Often found in OEM (Dell,Compaq, HP, etc) systems for
their modems included on the motherboard or as a seperate card. Once you've set the modem up to the chosen
country it's not required"

from my start up listing.(might be a little out of date)

Danger
26-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks tweak'e, already found that info but still couldn't uninstall them or stop them loading. Interesting thing is that my new modem reguireally (sp) connects at 52000 bps as opposed to anywhere between 42000 and 48000 like my old modem. Also connects quicker.