PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Solution

DangerousDave
25-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Hello all,
In this damn hot weather that has been hitting us my athlon XP 2000 machine isn't doing too well. Temps often reach 70+ degrees and rapidly rising. I have VCool but that doesn't cut it during games etc. Currently I have the athlon stock fan and one exhaust fan in the PSU which isn't too good really. I am looking for a decent cpu cooler and probably a front fan to suck cool air in. I am on a bit of a tight budget cos of christmas and all and I figure $50 for a semi-decent cpu fan and not much for a front fan. Any ideas on what would be a good setup e.g. number of fans etc.

Thanks

- David

vk_dre
25-12-2002, 09:17 PM
U could try take out the chip's fan and clean it up cos it might have accumualted a lot of dust. That might work. Or get a pedestal fan and blow it into the back of ur computer.:D

cheers,
v.K

Lohsing
25-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Volcano 7+ retails for around the $50 mark, doesn't it? Try that...

Lo.

DangerousDave
25-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi,
Yeah i was thinking about a volcano 7+ or a volcano 9. The volcano 9 is cheaper and will probably do the trick as I arn't really going to be overclocking or anything. I think i'll just go with a normal front fan

Anyone have any good/bad ideas about volcano range. specifically the volcano 9?

Lohsing
25-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Dunno much about the 9, but was told 7+ gave best results?? Hope it helps...

Lo.

Danger
25-12-2002, 10:24 PM
>Or get a pedestal fan and blow it into the back of ur computer.<

Don't laugh, my brother in law is doing exactly that with his Athlon! And he works in the computer industry. Actually his machine is a dead loss. When playing games with him online his pc keeps cutting out from overheating, so I think a better solution may be needed.

HadO
25-12-2002, 10:45 PM
70 degrees is might hot - my 1800+ (@ 1650MHz) is running at 53 at full load and I thought that was bad - damn this warm air :) Runs fine but crashes occasionally.

I think I read AMD says max temp is 100 degs C - stuff that though.

I would crank up a good CPU fan - Volcanoes are good but v loud - the magazine "Atomic" has a good review on heaps of heatsink + fan combos - Top preformer for AMD cpu was Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink @ AUS$110. Then get a good extractor fan up top at the rear end and a cheap sucker at the front bottom.

That should bring it down a fair bit :)

Elephant
26-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Well, if it's any help, I use a Volcano 7+ on my Athlon 2100XP+.
I have two fans in the power supply and no other case fans. My CPU sits around 40 - 47 degrees Centigrade.

It works for me. :-)

stiven
26-12-2002, 11:41 AM
what are the ideal operating temps for CPU, mobo and case?? just out of curiousity??

crozier
26-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Get a Volcano 9 CPU Heatsink & Fan. These are thermostatically controlled so it's only noisy when the thing gets hot. Also get another case fan to blow air into the case. The makers of the Volcano HSF also make a case fan similar to the one on the Volcano which is also thermostatically controlled. I have an XP 2000+ and it sits around 43, but it's been getting up toward 50 the past few days.

DangerousDave
26-12-2002, 05:02 PM
I have vcool but and usually get during idle anywhere between 40-55 depending on the day. Usually lowish 40's. Case temp is around 29-31.

When i play games it really starts heating up tho :S

I think i'll go with the volcano 9 as it is quite cheap and seems to do the job quite well. I don't plan to do any over clocking and just want the system cooler.

Oh yeah, if i get a volcano 9 does it come with thermal glue or anything or how am i supposed to attach it to the chip??? Sorry i'm new to chips etc and don't know much ;)

I think i'll get a volcan 9, and a cheapish front fan and a fairly decent back fan. Which will be i'll have 1 on front, 2 on back + volcano. I figure this will put me back about $100????

*sigh* sometimes i think i should've gone with a pentium but i dunno i saved about $150-$175 at the time which is quite a lot and even then the athlon 2000 is faster than a P4 2ghz...

- David

crozier
26-12-2002, 05:55 PM
You'll need to get some thermal grease. I find that the one Dick Smiths sell it fine.

The case fan I mentioned earlier was called the Themaltake 'Smart Fan' and it costs about $20 - $25, mattch a couple of those with a Volcano 7 or 9 and you'll pay a bit under $100 - and never have to worry about heat again.

Without proper cooling even a P4 would get too hot.

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 07:00 PM
> what are the ideal operating temps for CPU, mobo and
> case?? just out of curiousity??

depends a bit. it all depends on what you call 'ideal', 'cost effective' or 'will survive' temps.

case temp, i prefer under 40. cpu depends on cpu used.

case temp is proberly the most important of all. a cpu with stock cooler will be ok(just) but if the case temps go up the cpu temp will also increase a large amount reguardless on how well cooled it is. (with air cooling you cannot get cooler than the air temp). also with a high case temp video card temp increases, ram temps increase, chipset temps increase. all of which can cause crashes.

high speed harddrives run hot enough as it is with cooking them in a hot case (why do you think HP/compaq/pcco have the hardrives mounted by the cool air intake in a lot of machines)

DangerousDave
26-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi again,
I was reading that you should have the same amount of fans on the front as in the back.. is this totally necessary?

Cos if i include the PSU fan and a new fan that makes two on the back and one on the front. How much of a difference will this make?

Urgh i don't know if this is a coincidence to do with the heat or not but my seagate baraccuda 80gb has just collected a bad sector which may be to do with heat but then again maybe not. I have an Icute Case so the HDD is directly in front of the front airtake. Hey if i had enuff money my case can handle 6 fans + the PSU one :S (4 on the front and two on the back) i hate to think how loud that would be ;).

I'm going into my local computer shop soon so i'll see how much he can get them for me...

- David

DangerousDave
26-12-2002, 08:41 PM
forgot to add that is there a difference between the smart case fan II and just the smart case fan by thermaltake?? there is a price dif of about $5 but spec wise is one quieter, faster? better?

- David

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 08:50 PM
>I was reading that you should have the same amount of fans on the front as in the back.. is this totally necessary?

no. generally a front fan does stuff all unless you set it up just right. if the case has got a lot of restriction a front case fan will help a lot. but in a 'better' case they don't add any more air flow. the only really good thing is the front fan helps push cool air to the back of the case which helps with vid card cooling.

however front case fans tend to be noisy and they need to flow more than the rear ones (which adds to the noise).

the icutes should have quite good HD cooling.

DangerousDave
26-12-2002, 09:21 PM
tweak'e, you reckon i shouldn't bother with a front fan. The icute one has quite a lot of air inflow gaps in the front.
Therefore i should just go for a good cpu fan, and a decent rear exhaust fan, hopefully that'll bring down the temp?

- David
p.s. yeah i don't really want my puter too noisy, its bad enuff as it is ;)

crozier
26-12-2002, 09:27 PM
>I was reading that you should have the same amount of fans on the front as in the back.. is this totally necessary?

If anything you should have more air sucked out than blown in.

>Cos if i include the PSU fan and a new fan that makes two on the back and one on the front. How much of a difference will this make?

The power supply fan only serves the power supply and should not really be included in equations regarding PCU and Case temp.

>Urgh i don't know if this is a coincidence to do with the heat or not but my seagate baraccuda 80gb has just collected a bad sector which may be to do with heat but then again maybe not. I have an Icute Case so the HDD is directly in front of the front airtake.

If you mount a fan here it will also cool the HDD down a bit. The 'Smart' case fans I mentioned earlier adjust their spedd according to the air temp near them, so the hotter the from of the case gets the faster it'll go..... and the noisier it gets.... same goes for an exhaust fan if that's a 'Smart' fan.

Check out http://www.starlyte.co.nz/main3.php?section=7 I've had no trouble with Starlyte and they'll price match. They've _always_ managed to deliver to me next day.

crozier
26-12-2002, 09:30 PM
>forgot to add that is there a difference between the smart case fan II and just the smart case fan by thermaltake?? there is a price dif of about $5 but spec wise is one quieter, faster? better?

I think that the difference is that the 'Smart Case Fan' is just thermostatically controlled and ' Smart Case II Fan' also has a switch. I personally don't see the need for a switch.

HadO
26-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Just added a couple more little induction fans today + some thermal compound for the Volcano 6CU - she's nice and cold now - time to crank up the boost :)

FYI: I'm pretty sure even the XP1700+ is faster than the P4 2.0GHz ;)

Good Choice.

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 11:57 PM
for the adverage pc properly done rear fans is fine. a standard setup should be 1 rear case fan (+psu fan) preferable both 80mm or bigger.

if you run raid drives or overclocking then install the front case fans.

kiwibeat
27-12-2002, 10:30 AM
thats too hot for safety take out the cpu and if there is any of that sticky thermal pad remaining there, scrape it off with a plastic credit card and iso propal alcohol, then apply a thin layer of thermal grease and reinstall after cleaning up your fan

Jams
27-12-2002, 01:10 PM
whoa!!!! 50+ 70+ i thought my AthlonXP 1800+ was gettin hot when it reached 46.C..

you can get a good large front fan from DSE www.dse.co.nz. and a cooling system. all the coolig system is, is 2 small fans mounted to a steel rack that juts out over the PCI cards and blows cool air onto the board. but man it helped me alright lowerd my case temp down. and also lowered my CPU temp to run at 40.C worth a try!. it retails for 25$

hope this helped!

James Lamb