PDA

View Full Version : PSU (Power Supply Unit) Problem

utopia
25-12-2002, 07:54 PM
My new PC's PSU stopped working after the power was interupped for around 1-2 seconds. The PC won't turn on anymore.
It's a 4-month old PC with VIA KT333 Motherboard and WindowsXP PRO with XP SP1 pre-loaded.

Does the PSU need replacing or would it have a fuse located inside it which can easily be replaced?

p.s: I think the PSU was imported from Korea...
-------
Merry X-mas and a happy new year everyone!

godfather
25-12-2002, 10:11 PM
I assume the PC has no lights, no beeps, no-one at home?

Fuses are often on the PC board inside the actual PSU case itself, and can be hard-wired (soldered) to the circuit board in some cases.

Have a look for a recent thread on the same subject.

I assume the wall socket or power strip connector has supply OK? (don't laugh, its a common fault to suspect the equipment when the power source is to blame)

Fuses should not blow unless there is a fault. If a fuse is badly blackened it can indicate a severe fault, in which case any new fuse will blow, driving the fault ever deeper into the PSU or computer.

If it has blown due to "inrush" current as a result of the momentary disconnection, you would expect to see minimal blackening, more a melting of the fuse element. In that case a new fuse *might* restore the unit to working again.

In any event, make sure that the power supply unit is disconnected (unplugged) before opening it up.

utopia
26-12-2002, 09:55 AM
So, should I replace the fuse inside the PSU or the entire PSU itself?
If it's the fuse, where would I find a store selling PSU fuse in Auckland?

tweak\'e
26-12-2002, 10:16 AM
the fuses are not easy to replace. unless you know what you are doing and have the tools i would go take it to a tech to look at it.

Billy T
26-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi Utopia

If the computer is only four months old, the psu should be under guarantee. Sound like you built it yourself but that doesn't affect the psu warranty. If your checks show that it is a power supply fault, I wouldn't try to fix it, I'd just take it back.

Fuses don't blow from inrush currents unless they are already defective, and a full scale short circuit with blackened internals on the fuse is a major component failure. Either way, warranty applies.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)