PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Space

Attaboy102
25-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi, My name is Michael Qian Email: attaboy102@hotmail.com

I have a 15Gb hard drive and I am running Windows XP on a Athlon XP 1800+ cpu and 256mb of DDR 266 ram.

I have two drive partitions, each drive is about a little more than 7Gb, but the problem is that about 1Gb on each partition seems to be wasted.
Because when I go to "My Computer" and click on C:\.Properties, it says that used space is 3.86Gb, but when I go into C"\ and select everything and go to Properties, my used space is actually only 1.93Gb, so that is 2Gb wasted. the same thing happens on Drive D:\, but only one Gb is wasted.

SO please, if you have a solution to that problem, please email me bck, my email address is at the top of my message. i play a lot of games so i have a lot to install, but with the empty 3Gb altogether wasted, I can hardly install anything.

Yours Sincerely

Thank you

Michael Qian
25/12/2002

wotz
25-12-2002, 08:42 PM
How are you selecting everything in c:? Could be you are not counting hidden or system files

vk_dre
25-12-2002, 09:02 PM
i second the above statement, to also select the hidden files just go to
Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden Files & Folders also [
b]tick[/b] [i]Hide Protected Operating System Files[i]. To bring everything back to normal just do the opposite of what is said, e.g Tick, untick.

cheers,
v.K

Heather P
25-12-2002, 10:47 PM
Also Michael, it's not a good idea to post an email address on a site such as this.

Spammers use automated "spiders" to trawl forums to pick up addresses - then spam them.

On this site replies are posted out in the open and you get an email message saying there is a reply (the email address you listed when registering is hidden from the spammers).

HadO
25-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Remember that Windows XP will use a considerable amount of HDD space for "virtual memory" or it's "paging file" or "swap file" - whatever you want to call it.

My 2000 SP3 machine recommends 766 MB for it - this could change depending on the amount of other types of memory you have available eg. physical memory - RAM

You can also define the amount of "virtual memory" HDD space you want to allocate to Windows - I recommend setting the min and max levels the same so Windows does not "dynamically" change it all the time and therefore slowing down HDD performance - not to mention wasting space. :)