PDA

View Full Version : large office sound system and delicate computers

Clueless
25-12-2002, 04:39 PM
How much damage can i do to a working HDD by placing it is the same room as this? (http://something.orcon.net.nz/f1/images/office-sound01.jpg) and its friend

I only ask because i have my knee against the case with my Linux box in it and it is really shaking, as are the concrete walls, windows and furniture. Its great, but how will will the HDDs take it, i heard once they don't like vibration!

.Clueless

Billy T
25-12-2002, 04:46 PM
What exactly is "this"? It helps to know what the vibration source is.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{) ?:|

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 04:52 PM
This = the speaker shown in the picture?? - Clueless probably cranks up the volume each day and [judging by the size of that speaker] it has the potential for plenty 'a vibrations

HDD's don't like getting moved/knocked/etc... hence the reason that experts suggest you plant your Computer in one place and leave it there for the rest of it's life :p

I would reccomend "toning it down" a bit Clueless if the Computers' shaking/vibrating (unless the vibrations are been caused by extra cooling fans?), otherwise you may run the risk of shortening your HDD's lifespan

Chuckie

Clueless
25-12-2002, 05:02 PM
>What exactly is "this"?

Click on da link Billy T
Its the smallest of my collection, and it is definatly tuned for bass.
*it's is also the type of speaker where once once owned, makes every mini system with "subs" seem funny-ha-ha!

.Clueless

DangerousDave
25-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Those speakers usually arn't magnetically shielded so probably screw with your monitor and possibly your harddrive :S. As long as it is about a metre away from anything it shouldn't be too bad

- David
p.s. well looking at the size of those things you would want it at least a metre away ;)

DangerousDave
25-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Those speakers usually arn't magnetically shielded so probably screw with your monitor and possibly your harddrive :S. As long as it is about a metre away from anything it shouldn't be too bad

- David
p.s. well looking at the size of those things you would want it at least a metre away ;)

godfather
25-12-2002, 05:29 PM
And at moments like those I am glad I am not a neighbour. :)

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 05:51 PM
That makes two of us GF... It's times like this I love livin' in Akl

Chuckie

agent
25-12-2002, 06:04 PM
If I had the money, you could bet $1,000,000 with the Lottery Grants Commission that I'd go out and buy speakers even bigger than those.

I can't say those speakers would be too good for your computer. Maybe you could mount the case inside a thick box lined with rubber, then put another smaller but similar box lined with rubber inside that, put your computer's case in the smaller box, and fill the rest up with rubber. Sure, you'd have to reach down there and scrabble for the power button each time you turn your comp on, but it'd reduce the vibrations.

Otherwise place your HDD so it's suspended in the middle of your case by some wires, though that would cause problems if your computer got knocked (taut strings from all eight corners of the HDD to their corresponding corners of your comps case could solve this).

Clueless
25-12-2002, 06:12 PM
To those of you who remember 12" records and the likes.. theres a trick that i saw which had to do with hanging turntables so you dont get the needle bouncing during partys and the like. The trick is to hang all 4 corners from one central hook. You can smack the walls down with a sledgehammer and the turntable plays on. This was tested during some reinvations once.

Maybe the same trick can be done with a HDD for "its own protection"?

.Clueless

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey

I suppose you could try... it's quite a good thought really :D - if you could get small enough pins to hold it down and not scratch the disc surface then good on you - take them into mass production as safer hdd's - I'd buy one... (do we get Friend discounts??? - how about family discounts??? - PF1 is [practically] one big family anyway :p)

Chuckie

Elephant
25-12-2002, 06:24 PM
>What exactly is "this"?

Click on da link Billy T
Its the smallest of my collection, and it is definatly tuned for bass.
*it's is also the type of speaker where once once owned, makes every mini system with "subs" seem funny-ha-ha!

For a few days now I have been hearing noises in my head.

NOW I know where it comes from. :-)

Don't tell me I have to move!!!

Billy T
26-12-2002, 12:37 AM
I did click on the link Clueless but the image was so poor I couldn't make out what it was. Even now that I know it is a speaker, it is not easy to see it. (17" Hyundai monitor)

Cheers

Billy *<8-{) :D

Clueless
26-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Billy T,
Thats odd...
It's big, it's ugly, it's black, but it seems a clear pic to me. Perhaps a wee play with your contrast is needed?

.Clueless

godfather
26-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Picture is fine here as well, frighteningly large. And loud.

Graham L
27-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Just don't tip the beer in the keyboard. That is definitely harmful. :D

Hanging the computer from strings might work, but I'd guess that you would still get a lot of vibration transmitted through the air. That's what "sound" is.

John H
27-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Is this the main reason you live here and your dearly beloved lives on the other side of the Alps????!!!!

J

Clueless
27-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Graham L,
i was thinking of hanging Vannessas HDDs within the box, they are currently
laying on the ground (http://something.orcon.net.nz/f1/images/vanessa01.jpg) outside of the box.
You'll be pleased to know thats the old doze box, and its way between the speakers.. there should be plenty of room in the Linux box too.

John H,
I dont think the baby system bothers her, she even likes the bigger 1&#189; ton system, and wants to move over here to a place big enough that we can put the speakers outside somewhere accationally..
Dont worry, i think thats a future plan, i promise we wont live near you!

.Clueless

John H
27-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Strewth... My wife and I thank you, and the occasional grandchild and its parents who stay here would thank you too if they knew about it!

When I saw your pikkie of the doze box, I initially thought I was looking at an old stove from a student flat after a particularly good bash!

Cheers. Hope you both had a great Christmas.

J