PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP x settings

Alan Povall
25-12-2002, 01:59 PM
I have a 900 Duron, 128mb ram, Radeon 9000 Pro running windows 98se. I have just bought my new graphics card (ATI Radeon 9000 Pro)and installed it. Ive checked the display driver information (its Catalycst 2.8) and it says my card is only running at 1x AGP. My motherboard (AK75-EC if that helps)and graphics card both support 4x AGP. Ive tried changing my AGP settings in the BIOS to no avial. The graphics card also deosn't seem to show up when I start my PC.

Please help.

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 02:15 PM
Hey

Does Windows actually detect your card and isn't having a conflict with it?? as this would explain why the graphics card won't show up on PC Bootup.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
View Hardware by Device
Display adapters

and there should be your graphics card in there (if not browse around for a bit, it'll be in there somewhere). If it has a ! or ? symbol over the image of the monitor (or whatever it is) then Windows is conflicting with it. Select the device and Click Properties. In the general tab it will say what the error is.

If there isn't an error, click into the driver tab, click Update Driver and follow the settings to use another driver - I would reccomend downloading the latest driver from here (http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.html) and using this instead of using one on a CD

If you need any help just post back and someone will help you

CyberChuck

Peter H
25-12-2002, 04:42 PM
Before installing, you MUST remove previous drivers & change to standard VGA.
Bye

Alan Povall
27-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey there, me again

I checked to see if the graphics card had any conflicts and I didn't find any. It does show up under Control Panel> System> Hardware by device,
but still doesn't show up when I boot or reboot my PC. Ive tried to install the driver you gave a like to twice now(and redownloaded it once) but it comes up with "INF Error, Video Driver Not Found" when I tried to install the driver, but ATI control panel installs just fine.

Thanks for replying so quickly

Alan

godfather
27-12-2002, 05:08 PM
Alan, the correct procedure appears to be, to "uninstall" the old card in Device Manager, then shutdown and power off.
Remove old card, insert new card and power up, the new card will be detected (running at 640 x 480 resolution at first probably) and you can then install the new drivers.

If the old graphics is "on-board" (in the motherboard chipset) its the same, but there is no old card to unplug and remove.

If you do not "uninstall" the old one, the new drivers for the new card may not always act correctly, as remnants of the old drivers will still exist.

TazzieNZ
27-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Have you got the 4 in 1 drivers for your motherboard installed ??

Normally after installing Video drivers with VIA chipsets you need to install the VIA 4 in 1's for the AGP.

HTH

Alan Povall
28-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey, me again

Thanks for the uninstalling and Via 4in1 advice. I took out my new card and put my old card back in(GF2 MX400). I re-installed the latest drivers for it, and then uninstalled them. No problems there. Then I "re-installed" my new card, and tried to run the latest driver for it again. But, as usual, it only managed to install ATI control panel, but not the actual driver.
When it comes to installing the driver, it comes up with an error message
"INF error
Video driver not found"
Its got me stumped really. But if I install Via 4in1, then under the ATI Control Panel>Options>Details, it says that the bus speed, intead of being 1x (as it was before I installed Via 4in1), has now been increased to 2x. Its still not the 4x times that I was looking for though.

Thanks
Alan