PDA

View Full Version : BTC Cd writer Problems

(dud)
25-12-2002, 01:31 PM
I just just purchased a BTC Cd writer (model IDE3212), it is suppose to be 32 speed, I installed the software that came with it (NERO) and nero says that it is a 32 speed writer until I put a blank disk in ( The cdr that I brought are 40 speed recordable) then nero says that the writer can only write at 16 speed, I have update nero through the internet and no joy, have tried my version on Easy CD creator 5.0 updated to the latest version over the internet and no joy, have reinstalled windows XP with no joy, i am about to delete my windows 98 partition and reinstall that to see if there is any difference. I have looked on the BTC website for updates to cd writers and there is nothing there for my writer, does anybody have any idea what i'm doing wrong or is there a fault with my cd writer?

Please Help
Ewen ?:|

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Hey

Depending on how it is phrased on the box that it came in, you could have a 16 Speed writer, as some companies I know of say it's a 32 Speed, with 32 referring to it's reading speed and not it's writing speed.

It's kinda like the printers that say 3 pages per minute... now is that in color or black and white?? ?:|

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
25-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Hey...

Just done a bit more searching..

http://www.iomega.com/software/hotburn/hotburnpc_drivelistb.html

This site here says that your CDWriter is a 32/10/40 - hence 32 write, 10 rewrite and 40 read... so therefore you should be able to write at a 32 speed...

*a confused CyberChuck*

Peter H
25-12-2002, 04:35 PM
It is definitely only 12 speed write. The model no you gave is 3212 - the 32 stands for read speed - 12 write speed. Maybe you were misled & could get a refund or replacement.
Bye

Peter H
25-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Whoops, I must be wrong afte looking at the above site - most model numbers refer to write/read speeds.
Bye

Grant
25-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Use a different brand of disc, Nero says that your cd writer is 32 speed write but slows down to whatever speed when you put in the cdr, so therefore, even though the cdr is 40x, it is not compatible with 32x writing and slows down to the next compatible speed. Try using a different brand of cdr such as sony or tdk (not melody, they are rubbish)

Dak2
25-12-2002, 08:55 PM
As Grant said, it's purely to do with the brand of CD's you are using, just because the packet says they will do 40X doesn't mean squat, I've yet to find any that will burn faster than 16X, without paying a fortune that is, 16X is plenty fast enough anyway, takes my machine 6 mins all up to burn 700megs.

vk_dre
25-12-2002, 09:11 PM
> As Grant said, it's purely to do with the brand of
> CD's you are using.

Wot???? It's got practically nothing to do with the brand of the cd but the burning speed limits at which the cd can handle. Sure, some cds are really Sh!t, but still they are reliable at any moderate burn speed. It's mainly wot the cd can accomodate to.

cheers,
v.K

Dak2
25-12-2002, 09:35 PM
>Wot???? It's got practically nothing to do with the brand of the cd but >the burning speed limits at which the cd can handle. Sure, some cds >are really Sh!t, but still they are reliable at any moderate burn speed. >It's mainly wot the cd can accomodate to.

Err, hello, brand has everything to do with it, if the guy wants to burn at 32X he's going to have to buy quality CD's, your comment contradicts itself.

Lohsing
25-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Actually, what have you set your writer up as... slave, master, etc?? Is it on the same IDE channel as anything else?

Lo.

godfather
25-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Before you condemn the CD writer, I support the view that you should at least try another brand of CD-R

My experience is that CD-R generally burn at a higher speed than they are rated for, but occasionally some brands consistently underperform, and can be slower.

Don't reach any conclusions based on CD-RW media, as in my opinion these are more prone to differences by brand/type than CD-R

Peter H
26-12-2002, 08:36 AM
Grant
I use "melody" cd's with no problems - normally burn at 32 on a Aopen 401248. Maybe different cd's for different burners??
Bye

vk_dre
27-12-2002, 12:10 PM
> Err, hello, brand has everything to do with it, if
> the guy wants to burn at 32X he's going to have to
> buy quality CD's.

Nope, why don't u go buy some random cdr disc off the streets for 20c all over asia and try those, they can handle 32x and above. And they usually perform better than the branded ones.

Dak2
27-12-2002, 06:09 PM
> Nope, why don't u go buy some random cdr disc off the
> streets for 20c all over asia and try those, they can
> handle 32x and above. And they usually perform better
> than the branded ones.

Thats what I mean, by quality I don't mean money wise, it's just a case of experimenting and finding the best disks that work with a certain burner.

(dud)
28-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the help the original discs i were using were Aterra, have now tried imation ones and they work fine