PDA

View Full Version : Looooong disconnect

Mark Veldhuizen
24-12-2002, 04:40 PM
When I hit DISCONNECT on my XP HOME my dialup connection can take up to 1 minute to properly disconnct (icon disapear) and if u pick up phone while icon is still there u get HSSSSS PSPSPAD SADFIOASFU $#

Mike
24-12-2002, 06:11 PM
What kind of modem? I've had this problem with my Conexant HCF modem for a while, and I've just learned to live with it. However I did notice that when I used Windowsupdate to update the modem driver it did cut the wait time down quite a bit :)

Mike.

flyer590
24-12-2002, 06:52 PM
I dual-boot Linux and Windows and I have a Conexant HSF Modem. I noticed it takes a long time to hang up in Linux but I do not have this problem in Windows.

IanJ
24-12-2002, 10:40 PM
I too have this problem - also with a Conexant Modem. I believe it may be something to do with the ISP. My reason for saying this is because when I conect with my main ISP (Maxnet) it takes ages to disconect however with Clear Net it is much quicker.

IanJ

Mike
25-12-2002, 08:15 AM
> I too have this problem - also with a Conexant Modem.
> I believe it may be something to do with the ISP.
> My reason for saying this is because when I conect
> t with my main ISP (Maxnet) it takes ages to
> disconect however with Clear Net it is much quicker.

I doubt whether ISP would come into it, as usually with this problem it's your end that hasn't disconnected - if you work it right you'll find that you've got a dial tone from Telecom, but your computer is still trying to be connected. It's something to do with Windows not disconnecting the modem properly.

Mike.

-=JM=-
25-12-2002, 09:51 AM
I think you'll find that it is Windows making sure that it is ready to disconnect.

It needs to send a disconnection request, then will wait to receive authorization.

Also probably sending that final bit of information to m$ as well :p