PDA

View Full Version : Updating bios, how?

ConCon
24-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Hello People

I just recently download zip file which was suppose to update my bios, but the problem is, the zip file only contained 1 window file and that's it :( . So I was wondering, what do I do with that file. I would ask the motherboard company for help but right now, their web site is down so... . Any ideas?

Thank you very much

wuppo
24-12-2002, 03:59 PM
I would suggest you wait till the maunfacturer's site is back up and study their instructions in detail. Unless you have a dual bios mobo, at the best of times you run a slight risk, and without the correct information - a greater risk of ending up with an inoperative motherboard.

tweak\'e
24-12-2002, 04:02 PM
firstly RTFM about it or the mobo makers instructions. if you get it wrong your pc may not work at all.

you will need the bios flash tool either from the mobo maker or from the bios chip (award,ami etc) maker.

also little tricks like turning off the antivirus protection and any cacheing in the bios can help tho most modern bios apps are almost fool proof.

Graham L
24-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Is this BIOS upgrade to fix a problem you have, or just for the sake of being "uptodate"? If you haven't got a problem, my feeling is not to fix it. ;-) This is still a potentially risky process.

Tripping over the power cord, or someone driving a car into a powerpole can give you a non-working board.

However, it's a good idea to wait until you can download and print out the instructions.

ConCon
24-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Well, the update has a few fixs and a few new keys like F9 for this and F7 for this thing etc.

Well, thank you all for your time and help :)