PDA

View Full Version : 512 SDRAM

i-gordon
24-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Several months ago I replaced my 128 single sided ram board with 2 x 256 Double sided boards. All my Utility Programs recognize 512 of RAM but it seems to have made very little difference to the way my system works. Is there some registry entry or other setting I need to make to get the benifit of this extra RAM. I get popup messages regulary telling me that memory is low or an error has occured, This always requires a reboot to fix. My system is pentium 3, 733Mz. Windows ME, PC Co

wuppo
24-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Once you exceed the amount of ram that is sufficient to hold your applications without 'swapping' to disk*, there is essentially no gain in adding further memory. 128M is a reasonable size for ME - you would have to be editing some large photos (or running some other memory hungry program) to notice a difference with 512M.

If you are getting low memory errors, you have either an application with a serious memory leak (programs request chunks of memory from Windows, and are are supposed to 'release' the memory when no longer required - a program that keeps consuming memory is known as leaky), or you have a corrupt file in Windows.

Try running the system monitor to see if you can isolate an application that is consuming more and more memory. The free memory graph can be confusing as initially there appears to be little free memory - windows has it tied up as cache. When you load an application then close it - you will end up with more free memory than when you started, as the memory was released from cache for the program; when you exit the program, it is then made free!

*In reality, windows normally operates a minimal ram to disk swap even when there is excess ram available

tweak\'e
24-12-2002, 04:05 PM
the "low memory" errors you are getting are more to with resources than actual ram.

you can tweak the vcache settings (which you need to do when you go over 512meg) with cacheman and there other small tweaks you can do to speed things up.

i-gordon
24-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the quick replys Wuppo & Tweak'e, I need more help now. I had a look at the System Monitor but I dont know exactly which of the options I should be looking at.
Ian Gordon