PDA

View Full Version : connecting to xtra

Kredo
24-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Does Xtra have a bandwidth problem?
I log on and the connection shows 152000bps, then the line drops, connect again and its down to 28800bps then it drops again. Re-connect (and I'm getting more frustrated) now its 16800bps.
Is there anything that can be done at get a stable higher speed without going to Jetstream etc.
I suspect Xtra controls the bandwidth in an attempt to force people to jetstream by frustrating the heck out of them.
any ideas or thoughts or am I way out of line with this?
Kredo

godfather
24-12-2002, 12:57 PM
The connect speed would be hard to blame Xtra for. Its more likely your line, or devices connected to your line causing the problem.

Unplug any phones sharing the line and try.

152000bps? Just what is going on to have this speed reported as the connect anyway. (or do you mean 52,000?)

The fact it drops the line points to your line or your modem. Are you running the correct drivers?

duckyduck
24-12-2002, 01:44 PM
One thing that can drop a line and or slow the connection down is a AnswerPhone on the same line or sharing the same plug hole at the wall or other phone extensions plugged into the same line/hole.

If you are not already doing so, try plugging in your internet to the wall socket as the only device and leave all phones and answerphones off the line and see if that helps.

Iris
24-12-2002, 03:42 PM
When I had problems with xtra the Help Desk asked if I had any double plugs, extension cords etc connecting the computer to power/phone. Then they asked me to dial 1 and see if the 'phone was noisy. It was and telecom came out promptly to repair the fault. Their problem not mine.

I live way out in the country and since that line problem was fixed I've had no problems connecting and staying connected.