PDA

View Full Version : DoD LAN Setup

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 10:41 AM
I've gone and bought Half-Life, and have DoD on a DVD-CD full of Demo games (Only DoD isnt a Demo!)

I've installed it on one PC, and tried to start a LAN game so I can play against myself, however, it comes up missing a DLL file (Sorry, Cant remember it off the top of my head).

Why wont it let me host a LAN game, and if I can host a LAN game, can I then play on the PC that's hosting it against the bots?

I've got 2x PC's that I wanna play against each other, and my 266Mhz Laptop, all networked, however, AFAIK, the server will check the CD-Key of your HL install and block you if two are using the same.
From what I understand, you can tell it not to check the key, how? Or am I totally on the wrong track there...

Basically, Id like to setup the 266Mhz Laptop (If its grunty enough) to host the game (Not being played on) and use my other 2 PC's to verse each other over the LAN, only there's just the one CD-Key/HL Install...

Can anybody help me out here?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

BIFF
24-12-2002, 11:17 AM
For LAN games WON authentication is not necessary. You can just use a key gen to make up some keys.

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 11:23 AM
* With BIFF's encouragement, Chilling_Silence decides to go off and install HL and DoD on his laptop to try and get a LAN game going *

Thanks, Will let you know when I next run into trouble (Its bound to happen).

Would I notice a difference if the Server was running 2K or 98 ( Am Dual-booting ) ??

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 11:52 AM
I get the same error when trying to host it on my new PC:
Could not load library c:\SIERRA\Hal-Life/dod/cl_dlls/client.dll

Thats when running a non-dedicatred server.

When running a dedicated server, it quits it?! Why?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 11:54 AM
However, there is a client.dll in c:\SIERRA\Hal-Life\dod\cl_dlls\

Not using the /'s! Is there a INI file where I could change that perhaps?

Mike
24-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Chilling - I have a feeling that DoD requires Counterstrike to be installed first - try installing Counterstrike (also on that DVD if it's the same one I've got) and then install DoD and any patches if they're there and then try it.

Mike.

Mike
24-12-2002, 04:27 PM
>>> AFAIK, the server will check the CD-Key of your HL install and block
>>> you if two are using the same.

Nah, you can use the same copy on numerous machines - the key is only checked when playing Online... but there's still the piracy problem if putting on more than one machine ;)

Mike.

Pete O\'Neil
24-12-2002, 05:36 PM
hhhmmmmm..... that sounds familar. Chilling have you updated your version of halflife or is it the same version that came out of the box? try updating to the latest version.

Counter-Strike does the same thing when you aren't running a modern enough version of halflife. You are able to navigate the menus and setup a game but once you enter into a game in crashes and give an error concerning a .dll file.

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks Pete, I tried that, but I realised Id updated with an older patch, and so I tried updating with the one off the DVD-CD, and it works, but only as a non-dedicated.

Now,

I'm after some DoD bots that I can do some whipping against, coz a 1 on 1 match isnt very fun, who knows where I can download some from?

thanks

Chilling_Silence