PDA

View Full Version : another virus hoax :-(

E.ric
24-12-2002, 08:03 AM
I keep getting Emails saying if you find this file "$%$#@" on your computer delete it fast and pass this Emails on to all your friends very very urgently to do the same!!.

First of all what I do when I get these messages I crack open a cold bottle of bear, after I have been down the road to purchase one, then I go to www.google.co.nz and plug in some of the information from the Email,

Guess what happens next ????

Google is very fast and very kind, it gives me lots of links to tell me my email is nothing but a hoax and my Emails friends should have a cold shower every day.

WHAT CAN NOT OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE (LIKE MY EMAILS FRIENDS) DO THAT WITH THESE HOAXES !!!

Merry cross-mas every one.

Pauline
24-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Hi E.ric,
I have friends like yours too (they could be the same people). They automatically panic when they get stuff like that & of course they forward on these annoying things to everyone in their address book.
How to get people to do their own checking on Google is another matter.
I did once send a not so nice email to one of the people I believed to be one of the culprits & told them to stop wasting peoples time, haven't had any Hoax warnings since.
All the best.
Pauline.

E.ric
24-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Oh-dear Pauline,

Do you still get a Christmas card from them?

Heather P
24-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Standard reply:

You sent me a hoax - please check these sorts of emails before forwarding them to me at http://www.symantec.co.nz/avcenter/hoax.html

I don't get many these days.

(Some people will use any excuse to go get a beer).

Pauline
24-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Hi E.ric,
That person was not one of my friends. They were just somebody at the top ( original sender) of the long list of addresses that come with these sorts of things.

Heather,
That's a good idea but I know of people that for some reason do not like Syamntec & don't trust that site. Needless to say that these same people are ones that get viruses! I just tell them to search on Google & check out the other AV sites that are listed.
Happy Christmas.
Pauline.

Heather P
24-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Funny how some people won't trust symantec but will trust a forwarded email that originated somewhere in Brazil.

You could always tell them to check it out in 2 minutes there then spend 30 minutes proving it through Google.