PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Mail and Spam

Steve_L
23-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Hello PC'ers. I am a big fan of Pegasus Mail, B-) and have been using it for yonks. Presently using version 4.02 which is the latest, I believe.

Trouble is with spam, X-( which is starting to filter into my Paradise ISP email. I also have XTRA but gave up using it for email due to the huge amount of spam. XTRA help desk says to use mailwasher.com ... or ... cloudmark.com ... but they only work with Outlook (MS - yuk).

Is there an antispam program that works with Pegasus Mail? I know that PMail can do a 'selective download' but this saves no time at all and in fact increases downloading of email.

While I am at it, the other gripe :( with PMail is that antivirus programs do not automatically check in and outgoing mail and attachments, as with Outlook Express.

I have no inclination to stop using PMail and use MS, or Netscape. PMail has way too many cool features that I need.

Thoughts on this please..... thanks. - Steve

Oxie
23-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Steve,
I too use Pegasus Mail and have done so for years. I do not have the latest but run V3.12c. I have been using Mailwasher for several months now and have had no problems whatsoever. Mailwasher is written by a fellow Kiwi, as is Pegasus. Give Mailwasher a go.

With regards Antivirus software my version of Norton (2002) certainly checks my incoming mail and it will check my outgoing mail too if I set it to. Maybe you need to update your Antivirus software.

Lyn (Oxie)

Steve_L
24-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Thanks Lynn. I went to the mailwasher web site and it stated that Outlook was the only email platform that it served, so I am surprised that it works with PMail. I will give it a go.

Jim B
24-12-2002, 08:36 AM
From Mailwasher FAQ
Q. Which email programs does MailWasher work with?
A. MailWasher works independently of other email programs so it doesn’t matter which one you use.

Steve_L
24-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Duh.... Well, this is great news! Now I remember: I could not get into the Mailwasher site since it was being revised/revamped and was thus closed while I was there yesterday.

It was www.cloudmark.com that was only for Outlook.

Thanks again.

Keithr
24-12-2002, 09:24 AM
> While I am at it, the other gripe :( with PMail is
> that antivirus programs do not automatically check in
> and outgoing mail and attachments, as with Outlook
> Express.

Peg doesn't need to check email automatically as it doesn't have the secruity holes that OE has (eg script "viruses" in HTML email).

If you do try to open an attachment from Peg then most antivirus programmes should check the file.

Oxie
24-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Steve

Keep us informed as to how you get on. I am pleased you are not contemplating doing away with Pegasus.

Happy Christmas
Lyn (Oxie)

Steve_L
24-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Hey Lynn, no way I will give up on PMail. Love it - and it is Kiwi - so cannot let go.

Just went to www.mailwasher.com and it says:

"Division: data protection and information security This site is under construction. It will be online soon. For any questions please contact us"
:(
So guess I will have to be patient.

Cheers and thanks for keeping in touch. - Steve

godfather
24-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Try their web address as:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

It works fine.

Steve_L
25-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks heaps for the mailwasher URL. I have downloaded the most recent version and will set it up today. BTW, XTRA gave me the .com URL and I think it is actually a bogus site since it asks for your email address - probably to generate more spam!