PDA

View Full Version : Saving Files

Dyan
23-12-2002, 06:02 PM
I have a Compaq Presario 5020 that is used in an office admin environment with 5 years worth of emails and MS Office files/docs, etc, on it - my task??? To delete 4.5 years worth of emails and delete/save the other stuff. What is the quickest way to do this - I have a limited timeframe to do the task (Just call me 'Shortcut'). The office has a 2nd PC with a CDRW - can the data be transferred from one PC to another without any major dramas??? Keep this simple folks, for the simple folk like me!!

Clueless
23-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Dyan,
you want to completely remove all email records in one easy move?

delete the message store. if you dont know where to find this, i can have a quick look at my windows box for you and find out.

.Clueless

Dyan
23-12-2002, 06:15 PM
No, not all of them - just 4.5 years of the 5...

Clueless
23-12-2002, 06:23 PM
i'd just get the display to sort by date using one of the wee grey display controls at the top of the list of messages, press and hold shift, select the last one you wish to keep, and then the very first.
This should hi-lite the messages you want to delete, press delete, say bye bye...

This could of course be a tad tedious if you have it in 50 folders, but thats the best way i can think of

Is this the WWC antique?

.Clueless

Clueless
23-12-2002, 06:24 PM
I'm also assuming it uses OE

.Clueless

Dyan
23-12-2002, 07:01 PM
Not the antique - tis a system that is in dire need of the big sort 'n' save. The captainess of this particular ship is a bit of a hoarder. Am about to disengage from here and dock the other brain... shall probably be aghast (and not unexpectedly) at the cargo on board... it will be submerged well below Plimsoll's mark... the email's aren't really a big deal - it's the MS Office stuff that is numerous (5 years worth!) - Yes to OE

Dyan
24-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Found the answer by physically going into the thriving festive metropolis and accosting a local tech who was having a ciggy outside his workplace... network both PC's at the off-ice and transfer the data to PC with CDRW; or, put old PC's hard drive into newer PC; or, take 'brain' to smoking tech who will burn relevant files onto CD for a reasonable hourly rate (shouldn't take more than an hour, maybe upwards to two hours max [lotsa files eh!]).

Clueless
24-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Dyan,
I'm completely lost here.
Are you trying to set up a new machine using data from the old?
If so are you then keeping the old machine?

Pull the old drive out and place it in new machine, copy everything on it to new machine, preferibly a seperate folder, or better still a seperate partition, and deal with it at will as you set the new machine up. You may be able to achieve much the same by transfering the data through the office network.

If you are disposing of the old machine, then format the old drive, which can be done with ease while it's in the new machine, or from floppy if its in the old. Even if you are not disposing of it, it could be a good time to format and set up from scratch. Chances are by now it will be full of it.

The problem with transfering only the "relevent" data is that chances are only you, or whoever you are setting this up for will really know what you need, and unless things are very standard and tidy on the old machine (i'm assuming its not yours) your probably better to be working with a copy of the whole drive, than someone elses guess as to what may be needed.

.Clueless