PDA

View Full Version : Trade & Exchange help

Bambi
23-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone

I can't seem to get onto the Trade and Exchange website. It comes up with a blank page only and I tried another computer and thats OK so the site is not down or anything. This is the only site that has been affected that I know of.

OS is Windows 2000 Pro and Internet Explorer 6.0.26

http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz/TEProject/jsp/index.jsp

Pleeease help me
And the Emoticons link on this page wont work for either :(

godfather
23-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Works for me.
Got Javascript installed and enabled?

Heather P
23-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Thank you for reminding me - the ad needed placing again. Have just been in and done it and it worked well.

Bambi
23-12-2002, 08:33 PM
I've never had a problem with running Javascript in the past and I could access this site last week, now I can't.

Where can I check to see if its enabled?

tedheath
23-12-2002, 08:39 PM
It doesnt work for me either bambi if that is any consolation.
I await replies to your question so I can fix it.
Can we fix it
no we cant!

Cheers
tedheath

Heather P
23-12-2002, 08:42 PM
>I could access this site last week

Last week or the week before?
Have you accessed it since they changed to the new format?

Heather P
23-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Godfather, I'm a little slow this evening so have only just noticed something. TE use .jsp extensions but so does this forum. Surely if it were a javascript problem they shouldn't be able to see either TE or PressF1?

I'm using IE 5.5 and could see it. Perhaps they have coding errors so the page won't display in IE 6? (New site, maybe they haven't finished error-spotting yet?).

Which version of IE are people using to see it?
Can you load something like Netscape or Opera and see it with that?

<A little guesswork in the above, no answers sorry>

Bambi
23-12-2002, 09:38 PM
> >I could access this site last week
>
> Last week or the week before?
> Have you accessed it since they changed to the new
> format?

Could of been the week before, I,m in holiday mode now :)

godfather
23-12-2002, 09:38 PM
using IE6, don't have opera loaded presently.

Bambi
23-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Hi Heather

I have XP Pro with IE 6.??.?? also running on this machine and I can access the Trade & Exchange with this no problems. I have been comparing the setting, & everything looks pretty much the same.

I suppose you never learn anything if nothing ever goes wrong eh.

Bambi
23-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Can I have IE & Netscape running on the same machine? no point really, but just a thought.

Heather P
23-12-2002, 09:52 PM
>I suppose you never learn anything if nothing ever goes wrong eh

Exactly. That is why I am an expert in lots of things - but not this one cause I haven't met it.

>Can I have IE & Netscape...
Yes. Your only problem will be that at first they fight over who gets the default rights to open html files. They both want it. As soon as you open Netscape it will come up with a message "Netscape is not your default browser... do you want to make it so?" If you say Yes you meet the same problem with IE.

I think there's a "No - go away" button (or similar) that you can select.

Heather P
23-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Oh, and if you get into making webpages it definitely pays to have more than one browser to check the pages in (there are subtle differences to the way the browsers interprete code).

TonyF
23-12-2002, 10:09 PM
> using IE6, don't have opera loaded presently.

Works on IE6, doesn't work on Opera 6 with everything enabled. Opera has a problem with dhtml but don't know about .jsp

Bambi
23-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Just installed Netscape 6.3 and all I get is a blank page saying JSP Page on the toolbar and title bar ummmmmm

Heather P
23-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Hm, elimination number one - it wasn't the browser. We've also established that the website is working (anyone want to buy a waterblaster by any chance?)

So the next step would be control panel, internet options and see if anything is set in there. Or do you have a firewall preventing access?

Bambi
23-12-2002, 11:19 PM
I had Zone Alarm Pro running for a few months now. I shut this down and still the same result.

and thanks for help Heather

bk T
23-12-2002, 11:30 PM
I got the same problem. Can't access TE site. I'm running XP Pro with IE 6.0.28 installed.

DUNK
24-12-2002, 02:20 AM
I had the same problem. Try.... www.te.co.nz ...instead of the old url ...Worked for me!
Regards to all ...& I wish you all Merry Christmas.

TonyF
24-12-2002, 08:46 AM
> I had the same problem. Try.... www.te.co.nz
> ...instead of the old url ...Worked for me!

But that takes you to the jsp url which folk have commented on above. We seem to have two problems - T & E had a messup last week and nothing got in. Perhaps since fixed. Now IE6 seems to work for most people, but Opera does not like jsp. Anyone getting in with Opera ?

Heather P
24-12-2002, 08:59 AM
Nothing like a good night's sleep for extra ideas. I've emailed the administrator of TE and asked if they can help.

The address is administrator te co nz - (add the usual symbols).

tedheath
24-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Same as Bambi I cant access t@e. have W98SE and IE6.
I have Norton Internet Security2003
One of these things is stopping access.

tedheath

TonyF
24-12-2002, 09:06 AM
> I got the same problem. Can't access TE site. I'm
> running XP Pro with IE 6.0.28 installed.
>

Win98 with 6.0.26 works. Strange......

tedheath
24-12-2002, 11:00 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head TonyF I have IE6.0 28.
I think its the version 28 that is causing the problem.

Cheers
tedheath

Bambi
24-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Morning everyone

I have IE 6.0.26 and that won't access the site. I have a dual boot machine (XP & Win2000) In XP I can access the site but not sure what version of IE I have, 6.something, will have a look but I need to go shopping for Christmas.

I installed Netscape 6.3 last night and that is also, no go :)

Heather P
24-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Another thought was "what does their website say?" Extracts as follows:

If you have a problem using our site and you cannot find a solution on this page, please do not hesitate to contact the website administrator.

TECHNICAL ISSUES

I can't access te.co.nz
If you have browser problems or technical queries, start by checking that you are connected to the Internet. Sounds simple, but unexpected disconnection (being disconnected by your ISP) is one of the most common reasons for te.co.nz not opening. If you are connected and still can't access the site, press the "refresh" button. If that fails, contact us.

Queries
If you have any queries whatsoever about ads, services, technical issues, anything - te.co.nz is here for you so let us know

*Address is administrator te co nz (with appropriate symbols)

**Trouble is Christmas Eve doesn't appear to be the best time to contact them!

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Im using Phoenix o.40 and its fine, Perhaps somebody should mail a link to this thread to the webmaster there!?

Chilling_Silence
24-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Now that IS odd... I was gettinginto it fine, only Id forgotten my old login and password so I re-signed up..
I closed down all the hotmail windows and started phoenix again.

I typed in www.trade-exchange.co.nz
it re-directed me to:
http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz/TEProject/jsp/index.jsp
only it comes up blank, however, checking in the address history in the address bar, if I click on that link, it works fine, only Im taken to:
http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz/TEProject/jsp/general/index.jsp
interesting!

Try those links and see what happens!?

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Heather P
24-12-2002, 11:45 AM
>Perhaps somebody should mail a link to this thread to the webmaster there!?

I did.

Heather P
24-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Tried both those links. The first redirected to the second no problems.

I created a redirection page once using meta-tags (don't know if there is another way using javascript).

Be interesting to see if those with problems can access the second link directly. This could prove a computer-specific problem with redirections.

If so - this shows the value of the message: If your browser does not redirect automatically - click here. (Always seems a silly message to have when it does redirect!)

mark c
24-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Using win98se and Opera 6.01 I just get a blank page and on the taskbar says "JSP Page" wotever help that is meant to be.
mark :) c

Ferroshus
24-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Merry Happy All,

I had problems with Java content whilst running IE6
Downloaded Sun Microsystems Free java and everythings been sweet since.
Maybe worth a try!

Heather P
24-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Look what I found. By moving very fast with the stop button I was able to view the source of their redirection page. If you have javascript turned off or not working properly - there's the problem. Mind you, if you can't reach the page it directs you to: http://www.trade-exchange.co.nz/TEProject/jsp/general/index.jsp then there's another problem somewhere.

If this is the problem then we should let the admin know so he can add a hard link in the body of the page.

<html>
<head><title>JSP Page</title></head>
<Script Language="JavaScript">
<!--
window.name="hhs" ;
window.open( "general/index.jsp", 'hhs' ) ;
//-->
</Script>

<body>
</body>
</html>

DUNK
24-12-2002, 03:39 PM
To TonyF ...I'm using 98SE & IE 6.0.2800.110615...Just been there again to check & I can still get in. Had the problem early last week, emailed the 'admin' got a reply stating things on their side were all OK....Was using the old (trade-exchange) then, as a bookmark, when I changed to te.co.nz...all came right.......Strange things happen eh !!!

TonyF
24-12-2002, 04:49 PM
> To TonyF ...I'm using 98SE & IE

.......Strange things
> happen eh !!!
Hello Dunk. Strange indeed. Looking back over this thread it seems that no two people have the same set of circumstances or difficulties.
I wish I knew how to make Opera do its stuff. Maybe the new version coming in Jan will be the fix.

Bambi
24-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi everyone

Chilling's first link comes up with a blank page. Chilling's second link, I can access their site no problems.

Yeahaaaa getting somewhere now :)

Heather P
24-12-2002, 11:18 PM
So we return to Godfather's first comment. Enable javascript.

Bambi
25-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Java Scipt is enabled!

Heather P
25-12-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi Bambi,

Well, the only thing on the redirection page is a javascript redirection. So it javascript is enabled it should work.

BUT...

A couple of weeks back I was having trouble accessing my own website (I posted here and the world could see it but I couldn't). The start of the problem was I changed hosts, and it continued through the Internet settings and my proxy.

First, click on tools, internet settings. On the general tab click settings and ensure it checks for "refresh page for every visit to a website". Then empty the temporary files.

If it still doesn't work - if you have a proxy check if it has saved the page there. (In my case the proxy was over-riding the emptying of the temporary files - uninstalling my proxy and reinstalling it solved my problem. Even though the proxy was set to check for new files, for some reason it didn't. Temporarily disabling it also didn't work.)

If the above doesn't work then possibly it needs a more recent version of javascript? I'm not a javascript expert. I can follow the code in scripts and see what it does but know nothing about whether there are different versions or not.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
26-12-2002, 08:19 AM
its fine over here,

using windows xp pro with internet explorer version 6

i wonder why you guys don't work... mmmmm, let me have a think and I'll be back

Heather P
26-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Bambi, before you reformat do you want to try something? Earlier you said:
>I had Zone Alarm Pro running for a few months now. I shut this down and still the same result.

If you just disabled it rather than uninstalling it - can you uninstall it now? Also delete your temp internet files and make sure it refreshes on every visit.

Then post back if it works or not.

If it works this should help the others with the same problem with the answer.

Heather

TonyF
26-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Bambi said :-
> >I had Zone Alarm Pro running for a few months now. I
> shut this down and still the same result.
Heather :-
> If you just disabled it rather than uninstalling it -
> can you uninstall it now? Also delete your temp
> internet files and make sure it refreshes on every
> visit.
I have just been into www.te.co.nz with IE6 ( and ZA running). No problems. I doubt that ZA is a factor. Buyt I can't get in with Opera ....

Heather P
26-12-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi Tony,

There can be a number of reasons why people can't see a webpage. Amongst them are:
1. Javascript not enabled
2. Code that is designed for certain versions of certain browsers
3. Proxies playing up.

1. Something like 11% of all people turn javascript off. (So a web designer has to provide alternative methods of navigation)

2. Browsers are "supposed to" render code the same way but for some code they don't. In theory a web designer "should" check their pages to ensure that as many browsers - and versions - can read it, but many don't

3. I met the proxy playup myself.

To see if it is opera+javscript or a proxy click on this link (http://www.details.co.nz/te/te.htm).

I've copied the page into a subdirectory on my site which means that no cache will have it. If it works - it's a cache or proxy problem, if it doesn't then Opera just does not like the javascript.

Bambi
26-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Hi Heather

I have shutdown ZA Pro (not uninstalled, yet). I have the popup stopper running, which comes with ZA Pro and in the source code of web pages it looks as if the popup stopper is still running, not sure if this has anything to do with it or not.

Are the people affected running the Pro version of ZA along with its popup stopper, just a thought.

Also I'm not sure about this refresh option in..Tools/Internet Options/General Tab/Settings, I only get the "check for newer versions of stored pages" & " Automatically etc etc. I do not see it or is this the same thing?? :)

Bambi
26-12-2002, 09:16 PM
<script language='javascript'>
NS_ActualOpen=window.open;
function NS_NullWindow(){this.window;}
function NS_NewOpen(url,nam,atr){return(new NS_NullWindow());}
window.open=NS_NewOpen;
</script>

This is the blocking code which, as far as I know should be disabled.

Even after closing the browser and refreshing the page, empty temp files etc, the above code is still running and no access to the TE site.

Clueless
26-12-2002, 09:41 PM
my 2 worth,
i'm running SuSE8 and Konqueror..... no trouble at all!
.Clueless

Bambi
26-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Turned off popup stopper in ZA and still no go.

I noticed ZA was still running in the background even though it was shutdown at the time.

Uninstalled ZA Pro and my problem is now solved. :) :) :)

TonyF
26-12-2002, 10:05 PM
> I've copied the page into a subdirectory on my site
> which means that no cache will have it. If it works -
> it's a cache or proxy problem, if it doesn't then
> Opera just does not like the javascript.

Hi Heather. Did not work, so must be Opera. Odd that jsp works fine on F1 ...............

Heather P
26-12-2002, 11:20 PM
Right, Bambi's problem appears to be the same one I had a few weeks ago - Proxies caching things (with the additon of disliking redirecting to new pages through pop-ups).

As for Tony - it's not the .jsp page itself but the contents. A script written in javascript. Sounds a bit like Opera doesn't like javascript too much. <tries to remember this one for future use on web pages>

TeAdmin
06-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys

I Happen to work For www.te.co.nz

Quite Interested in seeing your response

This is a common problem and it is related on the client side

make sure that you have Javascript and cookies enabled

There is a big difference between Java and Java script

Java is done on the server side
Java Script is done on the clients side (you will need Java script enabled to be able to use the drop down menus)

Also Norton Firewalls and Nortons Internet Security Block Java based websites, Customers have resolved this by lowering there privacy settings to enable Java based websites, I find by norton blocking Java based websites is poorly Designed for nortons, It might also block other java based websites like vodafone

Cookies, the website requires the use of cookies make sure that you have cookies enabled

Java Script Make sure that you have Javascript enabled as well via your web browser.

Most modern version Browsers like I.E 5 and on wards and net scape 5 and onwards should be able to handle the website.

I if your using oprah Please make sure that you the java version installed

If you are experiencing any problems with this website please do not hesitate to email me at administrator@trade-exchange.co.nz

TeAdmin
06-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Also I Forgot to mention something else

Some corporate Networks will Disable there users from using Java or using cookie based websites

TonyF
06-01-2003, 01:18 PM
> Hi Guys
>
> I Happen to work For www.te.co.nz
>
>
> Quite Interested in seeing your response
>
> This is a common problem and it is related on the
> client side
>
> make sure that you have Javascript and cookies
> enabled

Hello Te Admin. If you went back over the earlier comments again, you would see that everyone who has Javascript enabled is still having problems. Some users of IE5/6 have a difficulty, some do not. Us Opera folk have problems with TE, but can hook into almost everything else on the Web. More bright ideas please.
Cheers TonyF

Chilling_Silence
06-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Seems to work fine in Phoenix/Mozilla with default settings

I found it all depended on what URL you went to first off in my browser (IE6) as to whether it came up or not. It seems to be better now however :-)

Its good to see that businesses can come here and assist in customer relations, as what happened with SiK.

TeAdmin
07-01-2003, 05:49 PM
We have fixed the problem that has allowed only some users to only receive a blank page. If you havehad this problem try going on again to www.te.co.nz and you find out it should work. After alot of testing with norton personal firewall 2003 i found out that before the changes the website will not load, Disabled the firewall it will work.
I have found the course of the problem and fixed the problem so that people with norton personal firewall shall be able to view the website with there firewall or any ad blocking program running.

We are aware of the problem that opera users are facing from what I have noticed by testing opera on the website is they are able to view everything apart from the menu.

TeAdmin
07-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Tony F

just a quick note not all websites will work on all browsers everyones setup on there computer is different and it is impossible to create a website that will work with every single ones pc. www.te.co.nz will work with 95% of the browsers on the market