PDA

View Full Version : Att Graham L, How do i type non standard chars in Linux

Clueless
23-12-2002, 05:30 PM
I've asked this question before, but unfortunatly the answers i got were related to either doze or to html coding

How do i type and all that sort of thing from a Linux keyboard?

alt + 0169 etc just seem to do anything in Linux!

.Clueless

Graham L
24-12-2002, 03:13 PM
This is one of the awkward ones. It depends on where you want to use it. I don't know about the "new" editors which come with KDE and Gnome. Bash (the "standard" shell) and most of the other shells use the "\" escape method ... "\nnn" gives the character which has the (octal) ASCII code nnn. "\0xnn" gives the character which has the (hex) ASCII code nn. This works in some of the scripting languiages like Java etc, too. There are a few "special" escape strings like \n for newline, etc, which have come from C.

Use "man ascii", and "man 8859-1" for tables of the codes ...

Emacs does it, but emacs is not an easy editor to learn ...

Have a look at the Linux Cookbook. I'm about to download the html version of it so I can have a read of it in the next couple of days while the library is closed (for some reason, I don't know :D). I'd get the PDF, but it's a bit big for fitting on a floppy. (I see it's 544 pages in the PDF form ... so I don't think I'll be printing it).

You can set a keyboard key to make a "multi key" which lets you use accents (like grave, acute, umlaut).

This is not something I've had to do for fractions etc, so my knowledge is limited ... ;-)

E.ric
24-12-2002, 06:56 PM
At this web site from Linux I have used,
& f r a c 1 2 ; to get ½
and
& h e a r t s ; to get ♥
(but that was a bit of a dead loss it was too small, to see).

That is without the space inbetween, what program did you hope to use?

Clueless
25-12-2002, 02:27 AM
E.ric,
its mainly for here, where i would find it usefull is Kmail and filling forms etc in Konqueror browser

testing
testing ?
testing &frac23
(odd i preview, i come back to form, now its the fraction and not the code ?:| )

OK this is looking good... any others in the list appart from the obvious f r a c 1 4 etc???

Also, do these codes have names? The difficult thing with getting help out of google was not knowing what to call whatever it be i am trying to find out

.Clueless

E.ric
25-12-2002, 08:01 AM
have you been to http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/050798I.html
were you can get lots more?

Clueless
25-12-2002, 12:24 PM
test

mmm very useful page, so that is going to force me to learn some useful html tricks

I just saved the page as a desktop file.
it will be great for .html, and i can copy and paste the charictors into emails etc
I wish there was something as easy as the doze alt+0168 etc, but this is an adequate workaround

.Clueless

crozier
25-12-2002, 02:04 PM
It's a shame you didn't get WinXP for Christmas ;)

It'd be easy then :D

Clueless
25-12-2002, 02:21 PM
HA!

Now i know what the great strenth of windows is..
this dribble:
???

Sorry crozier, you'll have to sell me something more important than that to make me abandon my rather satisfying SuSE learning experiance for an OS my computers will barely (if at all) run

.Clueless

crozier
25-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Well............. nah, I'm not going to bite :D

Merry Christmas, Clueless :p

Hey, how about running Amiga DOS in an XP window - suddenly all becomes clear! ;) So tha's what Linux is trying to look like :D:D:D

Graham L
27-12-2002, 02:50 PM
I gave sal a link to an HTML code table on Mon Dec 23. A search of this site for "ampsersand code" (use the quotes) will get it.

Clueless
27-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Actually the one posted by E.ric above has been doing the trick nicely,

It lives on my desktop, and i either copy from it for writing e-mail, or refer to it for webpages and forms like this

Me happy

.Clueless