PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Boot

jimma
23-12-2002, 01:17 PM
I can't get my PC to boot. When I turn it on, it powers up, the CPU fan goes, but there is no signal going through to the monitor, nothing else happens. I have checked all connections, even to the point of removing all data cables from my drives and re booting. Still nothing.

Graham L
23-12-2002, 02:16 PM
Not even a beep? :_|

How old is it? That is, is it a "mature technology" machine with an AT power supply, or a newish one, or one which is still under guarantee? (The last is the preferred situation :D)

jimma
24-12-2002, 10:10 PM
Interestingly, after I unplugged all the drives, ie the CD-ROM, floppy and hard disks, it did beep. Unfortunately I don't remember how many it was as I was taken a little by surprise. When I turned it on a second time... there were no beeps.

It is about 4 years old, with an AT power supply, and certainly not under guarentee any more.

Graham L
27-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Mmmm. Not encouraging. I'd suspect the power supply. The fan doesn't turn ? Anyone else with suggestions? ;-)

Terry Porritt
27-12-2002, 02:59 PM
This is where a good junk box comes in handy to be able to replace parts for diagnostics. Like Graham says the psu could be dodgy, possibly the power good signal is bad.

The video card could be faulty/bad seating, same comment for the RAM, though I would have expected the thing to scream beeps at you.

Then the CPU could have died.
When things just stare blankly at one there is not much clue as to what is wrong, thats why the power supply is the first thing to suspect.