PDA

View Full Version : black text on white. hard to learn from,

E.ric
22-12-2002, 11:18 PM
Does anybody know about the fact that some people find it hard to learn from reading from black text on white background, (it causes a type of snow blindness) now I know you all think up a joke on this, but I was told the learning can be done from blue text on blank I know it sound silly but there you go.

In fact over the years some of my inacent emails have been taken the wrong way, and I put it down to my strange grammar, (if it is strange?)

---- More on another posting I made on last Friday ----
Sorry I have not back to the purchase of a second hand 5 floppy drive, I told the person who heeds it, and have not heard back yet

katt
23-12-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi Eric, :) i believe you may be talking about IRLENS SYNDROME Many people have Irlens making reading and writing extremely difficult. People who have Irlens see the printed page differently and often the print moves or is distorted, black print on white paper is extremely difficult for these peole to see. Having work printed on pastel colours instead of white or having colour overlays for reading helps incredibly. The coloured overlays are simply sheets of tinted plastic to be placed on a printed page. Special glasses may also be made up with lenses tinted in the colour best suited for the individuals needs. Your local GP (or school) should be able to advise on where a person may be tested to find the shade most suited to their visual needs.

Hope this helps

Katt

Clueless
23-12-2002, 02:38 AM
WOW.. Youve both inspired me to play with the browser customisation colors, and now i have PF1 with a black background with teal text. PF1 looks great likie this, apart from all the lines like tables etc disapearing. I played with the css settings in konqueror, i wonder if it might be possible to customise in this way with other browsers, and who might give it a go!

Just playing :D

.Clueless

sal
23-12-2002, 10:09 AM
opera7 is a go with the css styles etc

grtz sal.
nz

Clueless
23-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Well well... i stummbled across an opera setting called "background color" which only has effect till the page colors load....

This would be great for CF1 users who are annoyed with the opera bug that sees the screen flashing white at them every time the page refreshes!

yay

.Clueless

Graham L
23-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Some people have no idea of what is needed for legibility, even for people with "normal" eyesight. I have seen web pages with white text on yellow background. (and black on dark blue). I have not read them. Whatever wisdom those people have wanted to share with the world is lost. ;-)

The argument seems to be that this is "design", and that it "looks good". But when form triumphs over content, all the work is wasted.

My DOS screen by preference is yellow on blue. I find that was easy on my eyes. I've used amber and green monitor terminals ... but I dind't like either.

Heather P
23-12-2002, 03:39 PM
School enrolment forms with a new colour every year. One year they choose a rather nice purple. Unfortunately 60 of them were completed before ending up on my desk for input into the database.

Naturally enough the howls of pain, rage and frustration (from me) were enough for a lighter colour to be implemented and the excess purple ones destroyed.

Never, ever expect people to read dark text on a dark background, light text on a dark background or light text on a light background.

Black looks cool on a webpage - but only as a background for images and minimal text - like captions. If you want text to be read - find another way.

-=JM=-
23-12-2002, 06:17 PM
When a web page is hard for me to read, I just select the text and copy/paste it. Or sometimes just the highlighting from the select is good enough. ;)

Clueless
23-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Or sometimes just the highlighting from the select is good enough.

Thats how i cope in CF1 when the background color doesnt load and someone is typing white on a white background

Heather P
23-12-2002, 08:19 PM
>I just select the text and copy/paste it....

There are several billion pages out there. Why bother interpreting it when you have a back button?

-=JM=-
23-12-2002, 08:56 PM
> >I just select the text and copy/paste it....
>
> There are several billion pages out there. Why bother
> interpreting it when you have a back button?

well if it's worth reading I make the effort, but yeah in general I don't bother.

Also viewing the source can be handy.