PDA

View Full Version : w2k wants to find "artist informaion" and then refuses to see the actual CD

Clueless
22-12-2002, 07:49 PM
I'm playing with a w2k machine, it's got an odd quirk with the CD , i put a data CD into the drive, a wee window pops up and wants to check for artist name etc ?:|
After that is refuses to see what is on the disc, and gives errors suggesting that i must put a CD in the drive etc.

Oddly the data verification function of nero can bypas all this, read a freshly burnt CD and tell me the burn was OK, but then if i go to see what is on it. Windows explorer tells me either it is blank, or that it can find the artist names for me..

Any clues for a ?:| Clueless?

agent
22-12-2002, 07:57 PM
This Windows 2000 computer seems to be more clueless than you are! :^O

Try writing CDs with a different program, eg download a demo of Roxio's Easy CD Creator program.

Else see if the CD is recognised in other computers.

Clueless
22-12-2002, 08:06 PM
its definatly the computer, ive put the CDs in the computer next to me, to see if they burnt OK, no problem reading it (but not till after i burnt a second copy of one thing because i believed the first to be blank after this one failed to read it)

It also gives me the same BS with preburnt CDs

.Clueless

agent
22-12-2002, 08:13 PM
OK, ummmmm......

Try updating Nero to the latest version, and the firmware for all CD drives.

Curse that HP ad of the lady on red towels with a Tablet PC... come to think of it, that's pretty sick, going to a beach with her Table PC as opposed to someone else.

Clueless
22-12-2002, 08:24 PM
>Curse that HP ad of the lady on red towels with a Tablet PC... come to think of it, that's pretty sick, going to a beach with her Table PC as opposed to someone else.

Why not, theres plenty of people at a beach people on beaches if one wants company....

Anyway; the exact message:

"New Album found in drive
Cd player can Download artist title and track information for this disc from the internet

o Download information for this album only
o Always download new album information

Help OK Cancel"

That would possibly even be useful if the "album" in question wasn't nero burning Rom. Windows explorer sees it as a blank disk.

.Clueless

agent
22-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Sounds like Windows is reading the CD wrong - even when you burn a data CD, it still has "tracks" on it. So Windows must think it's an audio CD instead of a data CD. This is rare for me, though I've had it a few times.

Is your CD writer an HP one? HP writers are seriously not very good. It might be caused by a faulty cable, try unplugging and re-plugging your IDE cables for the CD drives, or install a plain old CD drive (if there isn't one in there already) and see if that reads it fine.

You might also like to read Nero's help/support files or website for situations like this.

Clueless
22-12-2002, 09:53 PM
the CDburner is a lite on. it is the sole CD drive of the machine. the fault seems intermitant (of course)

I'm home now and will deal with this in a few days.. all suggestions welcome

.CLueless

John Grieve
22-12-2002, 11:44 PM
There is a setting in Windows Media Player and other media players to do with downloading track and artist info from the net automatically when an audio cd is inserted in your machine.

It may be this setting is doing it (check in the media player settings and disable any sort of artist/track info recovery or indexing functions).